A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Who Invited Them. A husband and wife throwing a housewarming party meet a mysterious couple crashing their shindig. This was engaging for most of the runtime thanks to the performances and the dynamics between the four characters but ended up being predictable and underwhelming by the third act. Dick Casablancas from Veronica Mars is in it and he’s still great at playing a douchebag.
There's like, an adorable YouTube video of him and Kirsten Bell where they are clearly really good friends (and were roommates for 3 years?!) and it breaks my mind every time.

Here:

Hunter Hunter. A family living off the land in the woods are stalked by a wolf, but that’s only the start of their troubles. Expertly made and riveting throughout even before getting brutal. This was excellent. No notes.
I had mixed feelings about the first half, but that conclusion is something else.

Victim of The Night
The Golem (1920) was solid. I thought it moved a bit slow and the acting is a bit interminable.

But it's more than just a predecessor to Frankenstein. The plot is pretty good considering its length and the performance of the director as the Golem which shows a childlike innocence to his actions.

A major improvement on the last film I sat through.
Ya know, I've owned that movie for like 14 years and have still never watched it.
I don't think I can squeeze it in this month (though it's possible) but if you recommend it, I'll bump it up.

Can't wait for y'all to see Halloween Ends. I thought the discourse around Kills was wild but this is gonna be SOMETHING.

My review. Mild spoiler warning, I explain the premise of the film which has been kept somewhat under wraps.

https://boxd.it/3jZnXR

It's gonna turn out that....

WARNING: "Halloween Ends" spoilers below
Michael Myers is not a soundbite, spin-off, tie-in, some kind of celebrity scandal.

It's gonna turn out that Michael Myers is a killer shark. In baaaaaagggyyyy-aaaasssss overalls. Who gets his kicks killing everything and everyone he comes across. That's all.

Victim of The Night
I gotta be honest...
Actually maybe I just wanna ask the group the question.
Is it weird that, despite counting Halloween as one of my favorite movies of all time (and thoroughly enjoying Halloween II as well), after seeing Halloween ('18) and reading so much reaction to it, positive and (much more) , negativeI have no interest in seeing Kills or Ends? Like none?

I gotta be honest...
Actually maybe I just wanna ask the group the question.
Is it weird that, despite counting Halloween as one of my favorite movies of all time (and thoroughly enjoying Halloween II as well), after seeing Halloween ('18) and reading so much reaction to it, positive and (much more) , negativeI have no interest in seeing Kills or Ends? Like none?
It's only weird if you've seen all the other sequels.

Got both a new Halloween and a new Argento film. Both had rolicking awesome soundtracks and failed to live up to expectations. I also felt ultimately positive about both.

Dark Glasses

https://boxd.it/3k0weN

3/5

Hope to see that later this month.

Also, looks like he's making a movie with Isabelle Huppert? Shoot it in my veins pls

Hope to see that later this month.

Also, looks like he's making a movie with Isabelle Huppert? Shoot it in my veins pls
I had no clue.

I'm just bummed that Daft Punk broke up to get outta doing this film's soundtrack. Even though this soundtrack rules.

Victim of The Night
It's only weird if you've seen all the other sequels.
I quit when I thought H2O was an actual shit-show but then I got intrigued by Zombie doing it, didn't pay off (though I thought his Halloween II had some merits mixed in with its failures), then I saw the '18 thing and was honestly pretty put off by its constant winking and "see, we did it!" attitude while, in my opinion, fumbling its way toward a merely above average slasher...
So with average sentiment toward Kills being lower than '18 and some really pretty crappy-sounding meta-bullshit apparently in there, I just haven't been able to bring myself to watch it and then so why would I wanna spend nearly two hours of my remaining time on this Earth on Ends?
At some point slogging up the same hill over and over again to find nothing at the top, well, you either learned something or you didn't.

I quit when I thought H2O was an actual shit-show but then I got intrigued by Zombie doing it, didn't pay off (though I thought his Halloween II had some merits mixed in with its failures), then I saw the '18 thing and was honestly pretty put off by its constant winking and "see, we did it!" attitude while, in my opinion, fumbling its way toward a merely above average slasher...
So with average sentiment toward Kills being lower than '18 and some really pretty crappy-sounding meta-bullshit apparently in there, I just haven't been able to bring myself to watch it and then so why would I wanna spend nearly two hours of my remaining time on this Earth on Ends?
At some point slogging up the same hill over and over again to find nothing at the top, well, you either learned something or you didn't.
Eh. Two hours watching an ambitious misfire is better spent than whatever hours I waste online.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Werewolf by Night was pretty cool. Definitely better than either of the MCU big screen offerings from this year.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Halloween Ends. It was on Peacock a few hours earlier than announced. It’s a spooky season miracle! Not what I was expecting from the finale but still as absurd as Kills in its own way. I guess my biggest disappointment was
WARNING: spoilers below
not enough Michael Myers.

Day Shift. Jamie Fox hunts vampires in this action comedy. All the humor falls flat but there’s some cool fight scenes and visual gags. Plus Snoop Dog is in it. I wouldn’t worry too much about not finding time for this though.

getting scared every day with a movie because its this month day #14

Evil Dead Trap 2: Hideki (Izo Hashimoto, 1992)

Big fan of the first film. Easily a top 5 all time horror movie for me. I have no idea why it took me this long to get to this not-really-a-sequel sequel but here we are. There's a lot to love here. Like, a lot a lot. Most notably how the film looks because holy hell they did not need to go this hard. Lots of dynamic, expressive camerawork, gorgeous composition at points and the lighting is god-tier, both when its hyper stylized and when its more grounded. While the score isn't nearly as iconic as the first film its still really lovely and adds a lot to certain scenes. The film is also completely bonkers. Just a wild, non-stop fever dream from start to finish. So yeah this shits great and really rides this line between being beautiful and disgusting but I had one single thought that completely derailed the film for me: "this is Requiem for a Dream but for abortions" and once I thought it I couldn't unthink it. Its probably not even meant to have a specific point about abortion itself (I think its more using it as a vehicle for regret and trauma, which I don't know if I like either) but with abortion rights being under attack the way they are right now it made that element of the film kind of hard to stomach for me.

I haven't seen the rest of the reboot, so whatever, but I just watched Halloween Ends.

It's a weird, nonsensical movie that doesn't feel justified in existing at all, at least from not having seen the rest of the movies.

It's not absolutely always intense, but every time something happens, it cranks it all the way up to ten. It has the same kind of intensity you find in Possession with Sam Neil. It's hard to talk about it without going in details, but this is a bonkers, yet weirdly not that engaging movie. But it starts at a ten, and that's a harbinger of things to come. Just... yeah.

It also has 80's bullies, which is interesting.

getting scared every day with a movie because its this month day #14

Evil Dead Trap 2: Hideki (Izo Hashimoto, 1992)

Big fan of the first film. Easily a top 5 all time horror movie for me. I have no idea why it took me this long to get to this not-really-a-sequel sequel but here we are. There's a lot to love here. Like, a lot a lot. Most notably how the film looks because holy hell they did not need to go this hard. Lots of dynamic, expressive camerawork, gorgeous composition at points and the lighting is god-tier, both when its hyper stylized and when its more grounded. While the score isn't nearly as iconic as the first film its still really lovely and adds a lot to certain scenes. The film is also completely bonkers. Just a wild, non-stop fever dream from start to finish. So yeah this shits great and really rides this line between being beautiful and disgusting but I had one single thought that completely derailed the film for me: "this is Requiem for a Dream but for abortions" and once I thought it I couldn't unthink it. Its probably not even meant to have a specific point about abortion itself (I think its more using it as a vehicle for regret and trauma, which I don't know if I like either) but with abortion rights being under attack the way they are right now it made that element of the film kind of hard to stomach for me.
I liked the first one a lot when I watched it earlier this year. This one I couldn’t get into. A lot of the same strengths on paper (great visual style, gnarly gore), but where the first one seemed to move and gave you a character to root for, this one just kinda wallowed. I don’t know if it’s more violent than the first one, but it left a much more sour taste in my mouth.

I liked the first one a lot when I watched it earlier this year. This one I couldn’t get into. A lot of the same strengths on paper (great visual style, gnarly gore), but where the first one seemed to move and gave you a character to root for, this one just kinda wallowed. I don’t know if it’s more violent than the first one, but it left a much more sour taste in my mouth.
insane move to make the "sympathetic character" someone who murders teenagers and removes their ovaries.

Partway through Graduation Day. Kind of a meh start. The lead character just doesn't seem all that interesting, although props in dealing with that truck driver she apparently hitched a ride with.

No sign of Vanna or Linnea. Although Christopher George is giving it the old college try as the track coach.

It also has 80's bullies, which is interesting.
'80s bullies that are also somehow band geeks? Every decision in this film is ambitious or insane. Maybe both.

Deadstream. A content creator livestreams from a haunted house. More comedy than horror as the parts that were supposed to be scary had no real oomf behind them. But it made me laugh, I especially liked all the comments misspelling his name and asking him irrelevant questions. The lead does a great job at being a kinda charismatic, kinda annoying streamer. But I wish it didn’t start with the found footage disclaimer at the beginning as it was unnecessary and ruins a lot of the tension.

Beast. Idris Elba and his kids are terrorized by a lion in Africa. The kids are annoying but there’s some nice long takes and the CGI lions look solid. It’s a well done survival thriller.