Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Simplicity is the key. Bud Cort is at his best in this movie, brilliant acting.

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!

Dr. Strangelove (1964) (Re-watch)

I love this movie so much.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I just watched Medium Raw: Night of the Wolf on Nerflix. God, the acting was atrocious! Even the ordinarily dependable John Rhys-Davies was terrible. The direction and writing weren't much better, either. Some of thhe Red Riding Hood motifs were pretty good, though, and the Martha Stewart-esques scenes with the cannibal were pretty entertaining too. 3/10

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!

Boogie Nights (1997) (First watch)

Very well-done film. I loved all of the subtle cues and metaphors. They're all over the place if you watch closely.

Edit: So, resizing the image within the WYSIWYG editor does nothing to the size of the image once posted. Got it. Sorry for the gigantic image.

I actually cringed a few times at Clint's performance. He's always been kinda wooden, but in a badass way.

This, however, was just awful. He literally growled...growled...a couple of times in this.
Maybe he saw that Mr. Crowe got an Oscar for it?

I still haven't got the total fuss over this movie. I'm Eastwoods biggest fan, too.
Unless this is a one-off, this doesn't surprise me. Mainly because I love it.

Drinking Buddies 7/10- I loved how real everyone was, felt you were apart of their awkward story

Unregistered User

I finally finished Twin Peaks.

I loved the first season and the end to the 2nd but inbetween seemed pretty pointless. However, i'll definately be giving this another watch in due course and ive got Fire walk with me, on DVD still to watch. Some brilliant and fascinating characters with mindbending plots and storylines.

9/10

Dredd

Badass. I think this is the right word to describe this. Lucas's review was spot on, of course. This is the kind of movie where you grab some popcorn and a drink, and just immerse yourself in the glory of it all. Apart from all the action, I was happily surprised by some of the stunning shots, namely whenever someone used the Slo Mo drug. It was a really cool effect, and I kind of wish I saw this in 3D. The violence was awesome, just what I needed in a gritty movie like this. A solid action flick throughout.

7.5/10
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.

Paths of Glory-8.7/10. Incredible film. Wow it is really good and quite possibly the best war film I've seen. It's a very prophetic film as well. One you could analyze for days. Highly recommended. I've yet to see a disappointing Kubrick film.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Dredd

Badass. I think this is the right word to describe this. Lucas's review was spot on, of course. This is the kind of movie where you grab some popcorn and a drink, and just immerse yourself in the glory of it all. Apart from all the action, I was happily surprised by some of the stunning shots, namely whenever someone used the Slo Mo drug. It was a really cool effect, and I kind of wish I saw this in 3D. The violence was awesome, just what I needed in a gritty movie like this. A solid action flick throughout.

7.5/10
Yes.

Man Bites Dog 9/10

Often disturbing and very funny; an excellent film that exceeded my expectations. I don't rewatch many movies anymore, but I'll see this again.

Blow Out (De Palma, '81)

Otherwise solid thriller taken up a notch by its compelling exploration of film, filmmaking and the nature of subjectivity in cinema (both in terms of narrative and audience), the horror genre (in an excellent opening scene) voyeurism and the relationship of sound and image. De Palma's visuals are ambitious but, along with the music, may draw attention to itself a little too much.

Blow Out (De Palma, '81)

Otherwise solid thriller taken up a notch by its compelling exploration of film, filmmaking and the nature of subjectivity in cinema (both in terms of narrative and audience), the horror genre (in an excellent opening scene) voyeurism and the relationship of sound and image. De Palma's visuals are ambitious but, along with the music, may draw attention to itself a little too much.

I saw this when it was at the movies and loved it. I've heard it mentioned quite a bit on this forum the last couple months, but before that, I never heard anyone mention it in over 20 years.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Dredd

7.5/10
TOTALLY agree. Really loved the Slo Mo drug effects and was very happy with urban's version of Dredd. DAMN fine action movie.

Simplicity is the key. Bud Cort is at his best in this movie, brilliant acting.
All around, a truly WONDERFUL flick. From his faked suicides to maude's glib thieving of trees and cars. Always love coming back to this movie every odd year or so.

That bad? Not even slightly decent?

Balada Triste de Trompeta AKA The Last Circus which actually should be Sad Trumpet Ballad

I really liked this flick. Want some over the top dark creepy funny quirk? Watch this thing. If that first bunch of scenes doesn't get your attention, then don't watch the rest of it. For the first half of the movie I was constantly laughing, and it stays funny even after it gets into more tragic territory. It has that kind of pace that feels a bit too fast, with occasional quick editing and the constant jumps between serious business and off the wall funny quirky out of nowhere stuff, both of which make me think a bit of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (haven't watched the third one yet btw, totally have to). Also, even though it's not a tense or scary flick, I did cringe in some scenes for different reasons, and for the most part the cringe was followed by a laugh.

I did have some issues with it though. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ******* thing. But there's a section there in the middle, after something rather gory and painful happens and then something very, very unlikely follows (and unlikeliness of things happening shouldn't bother me in such a crazy film, but in this case is sorta did) and there's some funny stuff going on after that of course, including a Franco cameo appearence, but it's also sort of disjointed from the rest of what's going on. It ties in with the beginning of the movie, but doesn't pay off as it should've, especially being so out of nowhere and so in the middle of another story. It's not bad, but it did feel disjointed, and the absolute excitement I felt for the first half of the movie faded a bit.

But then the final run was ****ing awesome and satisfying and just hell yeah. It was a very enjoyable watch and I'll take another look at it again soon probably, as well as other stuff from the guy that wrote and directed it. Considering how much I like when funny and creepy (and quirky! That makes three!) get together, I'm guessing this is one of I'll keep among my precious weird flicks.