Documentaries

Tools    

Re-watch. This platoon spends 15 months in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan in 2007. Excellent documentary.

The wedding ceremony in 2018 at Windsor Castle of Prince Harry & Meghan Markle. Happy times then, but it all seems to have gone rather *i*s up.

I actually paid to see this. Taylor is a beautiful woman, but I confirmed my belief that her songs do not resonate with me.

I haven't seen it but I've heard ... things.

I actually paid to see this. Taylor is a beautiful woman, but I confirmed my belief that her songs do not resonate with me.
I felt the same way about Britney Spears.

Very interesting. Rory Kennedy, who was born after RFK’s death, directed & produced this.

For anyone who might have TCM > On Demand...
I've been watching a series called "The Power of Film" (which they've been airing twice on Thursday nights).
It's a six-part series.

It's not the typical behind the scenes, making of, or movie trivia documentary, but one that follows the patterns in movies and explores what it is about the great ones that makes them great. Film professor Howard Suber is the host and walks you through many film clips.

These episodes are very entertaining because the watch time seems to whiz by.

They kind of have the feeling of the old Joseph Campbell series ("The Power of Myth") that used to air on PBS.

P.S. I just checked the reviews on IMDB - and most are flames saying this series is at a third-grade level (no wonder I like it!)

For anyone who might have TCM > On Demand...
I've been watching a series called "The Power of Film" (which they've been airing twice on Thursday nights).
It's a six-part series.

It's not the typical behind the scenes, making of, or movie trivia documentary, but one that follows the patterns in movies and explores what it is about the great ones that makes them great. Film professor Howard Suber is the host and walks you through many film clips.

These episodes are very entertaining because the watch time seems to whiz by.

They kind of have the feeling of the old Joseph Campbell series ("The Power of Myth") that used to air on PBS.

P.S. I just checked the reviews on IMDB - and most are flames saying this series is at a third-grade level (no wonder I like it!)
I just happened to watch the one from last night. I enjoy just about any documentary about films and film making, but I thought Prof. Surber was making points where there were often none to make. IOW he does what many do when discussing the arts: they over-intellectualize the meanings and their insights in their commentary about the films or the selected clips. He seemed to go from one brief point to the next with little connection. Still, I'd watch another one, but I have the feeling that Surber should stick to academia where that approach is the norm.

I just happened to watch the one from last night. I enjoy just about any documentary about films and film making, but I thought Prof. Surber was making points where there were often none to make. IOW he does what many do when discussing the arts: they over-intellectualize the meanings and their insights in their commentary about the films or the selected clips. He seemed to go from one brief point to the next with little connection. Still, I'd watch another one, but I have the feeling that Surber should stick to academia where that approach is the norm.
Good points. I think I just like movie documentaries. I mentioned not long ago (on some thread) that I was a fan of the TV series That's Hollywood which aired back in the late 1970's and was narrated by Tom Bosley.

I like anything with lots of movie clips!
But I do find the episodes of this series to fly by, so I must be enjoying it (whether I agree entirely with it or not). His delivery is kind of enchanting.

On the point of over intellectualizing, I too would remind Prof. Suber that sometimes "a cigar is just a cigar", but then analyzing movies & looking for patterns in them is what he does. I will say I never gave much thought to things like the "one hour turn around" in movies or that most stories focus on the protagonist being "trapped" in some way.

(My one criticism is: a wider range of movies including some lesser known or foreign films would make the series better as he seems to reference a lot of the same films over and over).

Very good from Australia.

Re-watch. Excellent & sad.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Good points. I think I just like movie documentaries.

I like anything with lots of movie clips!

But I do find the episodes of this series to fly by, so I must be enjoying it (whether I agree entirely with it or not). His delivery is kind of enchanting.

(My one criticism is: a wider range of movies including some lesser known or foreign films would make the series better as he seems to reference a lot of the same films over and over).

It's the reason I've been watching... My biggest criticism is that I don't ever wanna see movies mentioned from the last 40 years on Turner CLASSIC Movies. It defeats the purpose, because I didn't watch many of those movies.

I've recorded them automatically, but I haven't seen it yet, and I've had all the time in the world, but have put anything/everything except this, but I hope it's good. I think the last episode is on love (a communist conspiracy)

Thanks for sharing this