Mad Men

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
It just seems strange to me that the TPTB would set up that kind of tension between Ken and Peter on purpose. It also seems strange that one has no problem with it and the other is furious...just very contrived to me.
Nah, not contrived. Peter is overly ambitious and has been wishing for this all along. Ken, on the other hand, hadn't been expecting it and is therefore delighted, even if he has to share the position.

Season Three, Ep 2. LOVED that they mentioned Susan Watson originated the role of Kim in Bye Bye Birdie on Broadway because the role is so associated with Ann-Margret. Wow, Peggy really seems threatened by Ann-Margaret for some reason. So Don has officially returned home? "I've met the opposition...I know crazy." "Oh, look, princes Grace just swallowed a basketball.' Betty's pregnancy hormones definitely seem to be kicking in. So Betty's dad is moving in with the Drapers permanently? I can't believe Roger is indignant because his daughter doesn't want Jane at her wedding. Is Betty's dad really playing with his family regarding his mental faculties? I hate when older people do that. Now Roger is concerned about what his family thinks of him? I'm beginning to wonder how Roger became a partner in this company. He doesn't seem to do anything. Looked it up and found out that is not Dwayne Hickman playing Betty's dad. The actor's name is Ryan Cutrona. Is Betty right about her brother? "You're not an artist Peggy, you solve problems, leave so tools in your toolkit." Don handled his brother-in-law, that was awesome. Gene looked so ambushed when he learned of his fate. Interesting that when Peggy told that guy where she worked, he assumed she was a secretary and didn't correct him. Did Gene just flashback to Prohibition?
I got the sense that Gene and Gloria were on the outs in some fashion and he was bunking in with his daughter's family. I'm not sure they explained this, but then again, this is a rewatch for me and I have episodes on in the background as I putz around online and could have missed something.

Gene has always been a sort of "off" character to me, on purpose. He got less likable as the episodes went on.

As for Roger, I think it was his dad that started Sterling Cooper along with Bert. So Roger sorta inherited the position from his dad.

Season Three, Ep 3. Loved that actress in the exact duplicate of Ann-Margret's "Lotta Livin to Do" outfit in Bye Bye Birdie. Nice to see that Peter and Ken have found a way to live with each other. I can't believe Roger actually married Jane. Peggy's new secretary, Olive, is kind if creepy. Can't believe Sally stood there and watched her father get thrown under the bus for what she did. God, Peggy is willing to do just about anything to be one of the boys. John Slattery singing in black face? Certainly didn't see that coming. I hope the necessity of that scene with don and that old man Connie comes up at some point. Not sure what that woman meant when she referred to Joan as "a woman like you."

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that black face scene. I wonder if they'd do that scene now, after so many other real-life people getting tossed for having done such a thing in the past. I know they portray things as they really were in the 1960s, but still... the showrunners might make different choices post-all-things-offensive.

As for Connie... keep watching.

Season Three, Ep 4. Really? Do Don and Betty know that Gene is teaching Sally how to drive? Peggy is thinking about moving to Manhattan, but does she ever think about that baby? Shouldn't Peggy have been in that meeting? Gene becomes less and less likable with every scene in which he appears. I'm glad Betty finally said something to him. "I don't need that much, but I do need tending." What kind of a name for a soda is patio? Loved the look on Kitty's face when Sal re-enacted the commercial for her. Why would those guys mess with Peggy like that? Never seen anyone put salt on ice cream. OMG, was Junior actually wearing an ascot? Loved Joan's criticism of Peggy's ad for a roommate. Stage directions from an Ibsen play...hilarious. "Morris Cook Jr is all dressed up and ready for the oven.' "Don't stop until you see the whites of his pockets." Peggy and her potential roommate? Not seeing it at all. LOVED the Patio commercial and am not clear as why the client didn't like it. Roger might be right but there's no way they're going to get Ann-Margret. I cracked up when Peggy's mother told her if she moved to New York, she'd be raped. Sally's tantrum at the end was over the top and unbelievable. Children are not that affected by a grandparent's passing. Personally, I found it a bit of a relief.

Season Three, Ep 5. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying this Sally acting out because grandpa died thing. Not sure why, but I was taken aback when Peter used the word "negroes." "They waste paper because the throw out bad ideas." The return of Duck made my stomach sink a little. Don and Sally's teacher...is this seriously going to happen? Her water never breaks? I've never heard of that. Nice to see Yeardley Smith as the Nurse? Did this guy actually bring scotch to the hospital? Cigarette machines! Something else that has gone the way of the phone booth and the encyclopedia. January Jones was great in that scene where she was being a pain to the doctor and nurse. Betty's out of body thing was creepy though. I hope we're not going to get months of her talking to her dead father while she's caring for her baby. Duck bringing Peter and Peggy together to work for him was something I never saw coming. "If you anted to woo me, you should have bout me my own lunch." Peter and the elevator operator was appropriately cringe-worthy. That last Jon Hamm/Elisabeth Moss scene was superb. Guess Don saw the sense in not trying to talk Betty out of naming the baby after her father. I'm sensing some PPD in Betty's future?

Season Three, ep 6.OK, I'm officially over Sally Draper. She's not afraid to step behind the wheel of a 3000 lb automobile and learn how to drive, but she's afraid of the dark...really? Joan's last day? Joan is my favorite character on the show and as it progresses, her role seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I didn't realize Roger and Don were mad at each other. Apparently, Roger still has some serious daddy issues. "Well, we could hire some prostitutes I know you prime minister enjoys their company." I wonder how much Ritz and Budweiser had to pay for their product placement in that Don/Betty scene. Excellent work by Sam Page and Christina Hendricks in that scene where he came home drunk. "Don't pout...one of your greatest qualities is that you always does exactly as you're told." What are these London people doing exactly, some sort of hostile takeover? Why is Lane Price in the way at Stirling Cooper? Are they trying to push Roger out? LOVED Betty's handling of Sally's jealousy over baby Gene. Very clever. Why doesn't Joan just tell them she doesn't want to leave? "I'm being punished for making my job look easy." Sure didn't see that lawn mower thing coming. Austruck you rule...Connie is Conrad Hilton! "The next time somebody like me asks you a question like that, you need to think better." Those vending machines in the hospital were so authentically 1960's. "One moment you're on top of the world, next your secretary is running over you with a lawn mower." One little amputation and everything changes. This Sally storyline is getting ridiculous.

I think they didn't know what to do about Sally as her character/the actress got to prepubescent age. Plus, it was the sixties, so I think they tried to shoehorn in a "storyline" about someone that age at that time period.

Keep watching re. Joan. I'm on the first half of the final season, and things just get crazy-weird from here on out. Enjoy the semi-normalcy while you can. The British invasion is more of a merger. That starts a lot of stuff in motion that leads to the craziness. Some of it I love; some of it is a little annoying.

Season Three Ep 7. I see Peggy finally got some...she needed some...she's always been a little "backed up." Where have I seen the actress playing the interior decorator before? Not quite sure what Connie is expecting from Don in exchange for his business. Betty looked breathtaking in that meeting with the ladies who lunch. "Stop barging in here and infecting me with your anxiety." Why is it so important to Peter that Peggy return Duck's scarf? It's a scarf. Don and Ernie's dad had me on the floor. "I was just making conversation, you can change it if you want to." I know Don is a natural womanizer but this Miss Ferrell is a tramp....she knows Don is married and his child is a student of hers. Loved what Betty was wearing in the scene where she called Duck. Jon Hamm nailed that scene where he put Peggy in her place. Roger trying to get to Don through Betty is all kinds of wrong. Has Don driven Peggy into Duck's arms? Mark Moses was really good in that scene with Peggy? Why is Don fighting this contract so much? He has to know that deep down he has to do this.

Season Three Ep 7. I see Peggy finally got some...she needed some...she's always been a little "backed up." Where have I seen the actress playing the interior decorator before? Not quite sure what Connie is expecting from Don in exchange for his business. Betty looked breathtaking in that meeting with the ladies who lunch. "Stop barging in here and infecting me with your anxiety." Why is it so important to Peter that Peggy return Duck's scarf? It's a scarf. Don and Ernie's dad had me on the floor. "I was just making conversation, you can change it if you want to." I know Don is a natural womanizer but this Miss Ferrell is a tramp....she knows Don is married and his child is a student of hers. Loved what Betty was wearing in the scene where she called Duck. Jon Hamm nailed that scene where he put Peggy in her place. Roger trying to get to Don through Betty is all kinds of wrong. Has Don driven Peggy into Duck's arms? Mark Moses was really good in that scene with Peggy? Why is Don fighting this contract so much? He has to know that deep down he has to do this.
Dunno where you've seen the woman playing the decorator, but here she is on IMDb:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0470546/...ttfc_fc_cl_t23

Yeah, some of Don's trysts are just... no, just no. I mean, in my mind he shouldn't be messing with ANYONE while he's married, but man, he just can't help himself. A few seasons more and you'll get a bit more background on Don that might help lay the groundwork for his behavior.

As for Don and Peggy--their relationship is so difficult to unravel. Just remember how very young and inexperienced she was when she started at Sterling Cooper as a secretary. Whether intentionally or not, he's led her through quite a career maze so far. That's gotta come with bits and pieces of emotional baggage for both of them.

I guess she's aged a bit and didn't recognize her under all the hair and makeup, but I have seen her in a lot of stuff, most notably an episode of Roseanne where she played Jackie's shrink.

OK, it's the Season Two finale. Have a hard time that a woman in the 1960's like Betty would be considering an abortion.
Because women have always had abortions and always will, whether they're legal or not. The 'age' or morals of the time mean nothing as to whether this happens or not.

Because it takes place sin the 1960's. During the 60's, Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen made a movie called Love with the Proper Stranger where they played a couple who have a one night stand and Wood's character ends up pregnant and decides to have an abortion. The word abortion is not even used throughout the movie.
Because it's a financial product which would almost certainly lose money had they done so because of the rating it might get/places which wouldn't show it.

Because women have always had abortions and always will, whether they're legal or not. The 'age' or morals of the time mean nothing as to whether this happens or not.
Exactly. See Vera Drake movie.

Season Three, Ep 8. This opening scene of everybody being out of the city seems to be some sort of homage to The Seven Year Itch. Loved the clip from Davey and Goliath. Henry Francis is going to an awful lot of trouble to get into Betty's pants. Glad that Betty is going to Rome with Don and he's not making up any excuses why she can't go. m The Republic of Dresses, I love it. Pretty sure Joan knew that dress wasn't Trudy's. Betty's evening wear made her look like a Bond Girl. Don's handling of the Italian playboys was great. Once again, January Jones gets to show off her gift for making lingerie look amazing. Sally and Ernie in the bathtub was inappropriate that was on Carla. Not feeling the way Peter pretty much forced himself on that girl because she felt kind of obligated to give him what he wanted...very squirm worthy scene. Interesting that Don didn't want to hear about Sally. Ed Lawrence was much more diplomatic with Peter than Peter deserved. "You always get that guilty look on your face when you see little children." Sally really is her father's daughter, but as things progress, I just don't care. I think Peter might have actually meant it when he told Trudy he doesn't want her to go away without him.

I just finished the series rewatch over the weekend.

You have a lot of twists and turns to look forward to--some of which I'd completely forgotten. Yes, Peter was pretty loathsome in that scene with the neighbor's nanny. So many of the men are cringe-worthy in this show. Believe it or not, Henry really isn't one of those men.

Season Three, Ep 9. Believe it or not, I was expecting a dream sequence with Betty and Henry, but not this scene. Was it really necessary for Connie to call Don in the middle of the night? Loved what Connie was wearing though. Does Connie not realize he's waking Don up or does he just not care? "Now that I can understand you, I'm less impressed with what you have to say." Loved Peter choking on the cigarette. did Don purposely get up early the next morning to catch the slutty teacher jogging again? I feel terrible for Sal...being in the closet is really tearing him up inside. Loved the letter Betty wrote to Henry...a lot going on there. Lee's getting him fired for rejecting his advances? What an assh*le. Wow, Connie is SO full of himself. IS it just me, or was nothing in Connie and Don's meeting that couldn't have waited until business hours? I don't believe what Roger did. He could have at least gotten the whole story. Hoping Sal didn't really get thrown under the bus like that, Can't believe Don acted like that. Connie was way too hard on Don. Betty totally worked that telephone to Henry. Did Betty actually throw that money at Henry? Henry's reason for not showing up was valid. Can't believe she would start this and then back down. How and why has Don been keeping Roger away from clients? Roger is a co-owner. I don't believe Don walked on Betty and went straight to that teacher's house. What slime. "I don't think you've done this before this way."

Season three, Ep 10. I'd like to think this teacher would lose her job if the school found out about Don. the Aqua Net pitch made me laugh out loud. "Wearing a dress isn't going to help you with Western Union." Relieved that Price's wife wants to go back to London because i really don't care about her. It was weird that the teacher wanted Don to meet her brother. Why did we need to meet her brother? Roger's right...Don and betty do look like a real life wedding cake bride and groom. That had to be teach calling Don's house...what the hell was she thinking calling the house? Maybe it was Henry calling the house? Teach sounded just a tiny bit psycho on the train. "Churchill rousing or Hitler rousing?" OK, then who called the house or was Teach lying? I don't believe Henry did. Betty seemed disappointed to learn that Henry didn't call. Wow, Betty hit the jackpot and found out she has no idea who she's married to. Teach's brother is really making me squirm. As uneasy as the character makes me, I like the actor portraying him. What Don did is going to come back and bite him in the ass. They were just teasing us thinking Betty might actually confront Don about what he found. :You can't frame a phone call." My heart is breaking for Betty.

Season three, Ep 10. I'd like to think this teacher would lose her job if the school found out about Don. the Aqua Net pitch made me laugh out loud. "Wearing a dress isn't going to help you with Western Union." Relieved that Price's wife wants to go back to London because i really don't care about her. It was weird that the teacher wanted Don to meet her brother. Why did we need to meet her brother? Roger's right...Don and betty do look like a real life wedding cake bride and groom. That had to be teach calling Don's house...what the hell was she thinking calling the house? Maybe it was Henry calling the house? Teach sounded just a tiny bit psycho on the train. "Churchill rousing or Hitler rousing?" OK, then who called the house or was Teach lying? I don't believe Henry did. Betty seemed disappointed to learn that Henry didn't call. Wow, Betty hit the jackpot and found out she has no idea who she's married to. Teach's brother is really making me squirm. As uneasy as the character makes me, I like the actor portraying him. What Don did is going to come back and bite him in the ass. They were just teasing us thinking Betty might actually confront Don about what he found. :You can't frame a phone call." My heart is breaking for Betty.
I loved the entire Betty/Henry arc.

Season Three, ep 11. isn't Sally a little old for an inconsistent lisp? Was that Mary Page Keller playing Mrs. Mathis? I didn't know dog meat was made out of horse meat. Roger seems to think he can flirt his way into this account. Oh, she and Roger have history. this whole thing of Greg going from surgery to psychiatry is so strange to me. Doesn't psychiatry require a whole other skill set that you don't get in regular medical school? Teach really wants Don to give up everything for her and has no idea that it is NEVER going to happen. I loved when Roger asked Joan what he was wearing. "Look at you figuring things out for yourself." I laughed out loud when Betty's lawyer asked her if she could prove Don of infidelity. "You walked around like you were a character in someone else's novel." I jumped out of my seat when Joan hit Greg with that vase. I think Annabelle is expecting the impossible out of Sterling Cooper. Does Sally ever do anything her mother says without a discussion? Jon Hamm nailed that scene where Betty busted him. I can't believe he tried to turn this around on Betty. LOVED watching her finally take charge. From surgery to psychiatry to the army? What the hell is wrong with Greg? NOW she's worried about her job.

Season Three, Ep12. This episode was directed by Barbet Schroeder, who received an Oscar nomination for directing Reversal of Fortune. Peter did take the news of his slight demotion better than I thought it was. "I can drink at my desk if i want to and I'm not out $1.25." Roger's daughter is almost as annoying as Sally Draper. "Just because she went to India, doesn't mean she's not an idiot." I love the way Mona translated what Roger said for his daughter. Why did Peter lie to Trudy about his demotion? Not sure what cards Trudy thinks Peter is holding. I knew it...Betty learning of Don's life is just going to be glossed over and they're just going to move on. "I found out yesterday that the head of accounts is going to Kenny and his haircut. Loved when the soap opera on Harry's TV starts announcing the Kennedy assassination. I can't tell if Peggy is genuinely attracted to Duck or if she's doing this just to advance her career. Watching Sally and Bobby come home from school reminded me of how I still remember the day Kennedy was assassinated. I was in the first grade. We were sent home from school where I found my mother in front of the TV crying. Loved the scene of Peter and Trudy deciding not to go to the wedding. Seemed a little convenient Henry showing up at the wedding. I love that Roger apparently doesn't give a damn about the assassination. Wow, is Roger bored with Jane already? Love the archival footage of Chet Huntley and David Brinkley. Maybe I was wrong about Betty glossing over this whole thing with Don. Don honestly seems to think Betty will just get over this with time. Why doesn't Peggy just sleep at the office?