Mad Men

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Season One, Ep 8 Didn't know Peter's feelings for Peggy were not one-sided. "You have voices, I have other things." I'm wondering if it's ever going to be explained why no one is allowed to ear socks in Cooper's office. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Pete's marriage will be over by the end of season two. How does Don plan to explain a trip to Paris to Betty? "I feel like Dorothy and everything just turned to color." Didn't really get the point of that flashback scene. Is that Barry Livingston playing Davis from the art department? Knew Pete would hurt Peggy but didn't think it would be this quickly. That scene with Salvatore and Elliott in the restaurant had mad sexual tension. "Toothpaste doesn't solve anything." Don't get why Don didn't walk away from those beatniks, for Rosemarie Dewitt? Oh God, Peggy is just as obsessed with Pete as he is. I thought she was smarter than that.
I just rewatched this episode last night. The fact that Betty lost her modeling gig because Don didn't take that job is still a sad thing to me. And the fact that she tried to fool him into thinking it was her idea to quit is heartbreaking. He lets her do it, too, knowing full well that he's the reason it didn't work out.

Also... not really a spoiler, but... Peggy IS smarter than that. Just not yet.

Season 2, Episode 7, "The Gold Violin," is the scene with the Drapers going on a picnic. In case you were looking for it. I'm watching it right now. I laugh every time I see it. Having been a kid in the sixties, I can confirm that this was fairly standard procedure, though maybe not QUITE this bad.

Why is this guy in such a rush for grandchildren?
What's the point of having a daughter if she's not going to provide grandchildren for you? You've had to pay out all that money, it's about time you got something in return.

Again, I'm just putting forward the opinion/attitudes of the day/class of society he's from.

Season Two, Ep 4. Colin Hanks as a priest? Didn't see that coming. Would it be mean to say that Don and Betty's kids are really annoying? As Father Gil arrived at the house, I wondered how many of the people in this home are aware of Peggy's baby. And have we been afforded any clues to who the father is that I haven't missed? Peggy's relatives were so cute talking about what Peggy does for a living. "Believe it or not, Daddy, Brooks has other interests besides drinking." Wondering why Roger's daughter is such a commitment-phobe. I liked Peggy's advice to Father Gil. My jaw dropped when Marty's wife introduced herself...I thought she was a hooker peter and Cosgrove arranged for her. Mrs. Barrett's outfit was gorgeous. Does she totally run Jimmy's career? "I was thinking how I could avoid becoming bored with you." Does every female character, with the possible exception of Peggy, fall under the spell of Don Draper? Betty encouraging Don to spank their son...didn't see that coming. Can't believe Father Gil wants Peggy to look at his sermon...priests and ministers are the most egocentric people in the world and rarely ask for assistance with their sermons. OK, I'm officially over Don's kids. "We got a lot of bricks, but I don't know what the building looks like." The Roger and the hooker scene was very sexy. What was that with Cooper and the golf outfit? Let's pretend we know what 1963 looks like." Why can't Roger treat Joan the way he treats the hooker? Loved the little scene of the prep for the American Airlines Presentation, which might have been all for naught. Can't wait to hear more about Peggy's baby daddy. I liked the air of mystery regarding what happened at the presentation. Did Don actually get physically with Betty? Is guilt about his brother keeping Don from disciplining his son? I can't speak for everyone, but I was never allowed to bring toys to the dinner table. "My father beat the hell out of me...all me it made do was fantasize how to murder him." OMG, Father Gil knew who was confessing to him?

Wait, do you really not know who the father of Peggy's baby is? My confusion about the baby came only when we see a baby at her sister's house, with her other two kids. I assumed that was Peggy's baby... until we see a flashback scene with her sister very pregnant. So, that's not Peggy's baby... but it's going to be an ongoing trigger for Peggy, whose baby was probably a similar age based on how they presented those scenes.

I didn't think the American Airlines presentation was supposed to be a mystery, exactly. I think it was more that it no longer mattered since they were out of the running. (So the show writers didn't have to write up an actual presentation for the show. )

I have no clue how Catholic confessionals operate, but surely a priest could recognize someone's voice.

I have no clue how Catholic confessionals operate, but surely a priest could recognize someone's voice.
Haven’t been following the prior posts, but what is the issue with the priest? (Seen the show twice, don’t remember the priest.)

Season Two, Ep 5. Peter seems to have been dragged to this doctor's appointment. Would have liked to have seen Trudy's reaction to Peter's answer to his desire to have a child. Joan is engaged? When did that happen? Bobbie Barrett needs to get over herself. The Mencken/Bobbie meeting was appropriately squirm worthy for Don. I guess Bobbie isn't taking no for an answer from Don. Peggy may have scored some big brownie points bailing Don out. That bitch Bobbie doesn't even appreciate everything that Don and Peggy are doing for her. OK, i t's official, Peggy is definitely this show's smartest character. Don doesn't deserve to get away with this. Nice to see Peyton List pop up as "the new girl." Okay they're really going to make us wait for the full story on Peggy's baby...her reaction to the news of having a baby came off like she had no idea she was pregnant. Melinda MacGraw brought a real vulnerability to Bobbie during her scenes with Peggy that didn't make me hate her so much. Loved that tongue lashing Joan gave "the new girl." That Mozart thing with the zipper redefined inappropriate and should have gotten that guy fired. I'm seeing both sides of Pete and Trudy...Trudy is kind of pushing him into something he seems to be unready for and now that she knows it's her, she wants to blame him for that too. That scene with Don and Peggy in the hospital...WTF? First time Peggy referred to Don by his first name...whole lot behind that.

Wait, do you really not know who the father of Peggy's baby is? My confusion about the baby came only when we see a baby at her sister's house, with her other two kids. I assumed that was Peggy's baby... until we see a flashback scene with her sister very pregnant. So, that's not Peggy's baby... but it's going to be an ongoing trigger for Peggy, whose baby was probably a similar age based on how they presented those scenes.

I didn't think the American Airlines presentation was supposed to be a mystery, exactly. I think it was more that it no longer mattered since they were out of the running. (So the show writers didn't have to write up an actual presentation for the show. )

Wait a minute...Don is the father of Peggy's baby? That would explain a lot. Does he know? He doesn't appear to helping her with the baby financially.

Haven’t been following the prior posts, but what is the issue with the priest? (Seen the show twice, don’t remember the priest.)
Colin Hanks (Tom Hanks's son) plays a priest in the parish of Peggy's mom and sister. He is taking the confession of Peggy's sister, who not-so-subtly confesses her anger at her sister for having a child out of wedlock and acting like nothing ever happened. I'm pretty sure the sister was doing this on purpose (giving away her secret) so that the priest would know what Peggy had done.

The presentation reminded me of The Usual Suspects where you see the planning of the jewel heist, the ramifications of what happened at the heist,but we don't get to see the heist itself.

The presentation reminded me of The Usual Suspects where you see the planning of the jewel heist, the ramifications of what happened at the heist,but we don't get to see the heist itself.
In The Usual Suspects, though, it felt natural. In Mad Men, it felt more like a way to not have to be clever in coming up with an actual ad campaign. (Let's face it: they had to come up with a bunch of clever ad campaigns over the life of this series.)

OK, I'm still not getting it...whose baby is Father Gil's?
Wait, what? Father Gil has nothing to do with this.

The father of Peggy's baby is clearly Peter Campbell. Remember their tryst in his office on the couch?

Yeah, but that happened like midway season one, but it was revealed later that Peggy had had the baby before the show actually started, or did I get that wrong too?

Yeah, but that happened like midway season one, but it was revealed later that Peggy had had the baby before the show actually started, or did I get that wrong too?
She had the baby after that tryst, not before the show started. Remember the progression of all the guys teasing her behind her back about gaining weight? And she started wearing looser clothes. She had no idea she WAS pregnant, though. She hadn't gone to get the birth control pills till *after* the tryst with Peter in his office. Oops, too late.

Depends on how late in the day it is. They drink an awful lot of communion wine.

Season Two Ep 6. This look at Playtex vs Maidenform is so much fun. I don't know why, but am not really interested in Duck's personal life. Loved that blouse Elisabeth Moss was wearing in that scene in Pete's office. Betty's kids have impeccable timing. "Jackie's smiling all over the world, he's chasing starlets." Don walked out of the country club to call Bobbie? I thought they were over. That conversation between Pete and Peggy was interesting...whole lot of subtext going on there. Vincent Kartheiser is really starting to grow on me as an actor and Elisabeth Moss is amazing. Loved when Roger referred to Peyton List as "that." Kind of hard to see where the kids land on the side of Duck's divorce. His son seems to be really mad at him. Can't believe what Cosgrove said to Peggy. If Peggy's not happy with the Jackie/Marilyn thing, she should have come up with something better. did that guy really slap Peggy on the ass with that file. Not really getting what's going on between Duck and Don. "Dogs are better than wives, never a problem communicating." Pete seems to be great at sucking up but always seems to be ding it to the wrong people. Is Harry the only guy on this show who doesn't cheat on his wife? Betty's bikini was AMAZING! Betty just buys everything Don tells her. "You wanna be taken seriously? top dressing alike a little girl." Loved Don's presentation. His personal life is a hot mess, but this guy sure knows how to do this job. Why did Duck lose Chauncey? "I want the full Don Draper treatment." He left her tied to bed! OMG!! That was awesome! Glad Peggy showed up at the club, didn't like the dress though. Peter sure wasn't happy to see her. What's going on with Don and Sally?