Mad Men

Tools    

Season Seven Ep 5 Ginsburg is insane, he has to go. Stephanie is the last thing Don needs in his life right now. Megan was surprisingly understanding to Don's news. Stan needs to trim that beard, he looks like a bear. What the hell is up with Lou? Is this we're learning of differing political views between Henry and Betty? That was wrong of Stephanie telling Megan she knows all of Don's secrets. I'm guessing money is all that Stephanie wanted from Don anyway, but I have a feeling Don will hit the ceiling when he finds out Megan bought her off. I'm beginning to think the only option for Sally is military school. Loved Blood Sweat and Tears as the musical background for that party scene. Does Don have any clue how messed up his kids are? I knew Lou wants to push Don out but I didn't realize Cutler was in on it too. I knew Megan's friend Amy was hanging with her for a reason. "You forgot to inform me what I'm supposed to think." Ginsburg is really freaking me out...why would he give that gift to Peggy...there's something wrong with him. I hope that's the last of him.

Season Seven, Ep 6. I like Peggy's dedication to her work, but going to the stores and bothering people as they leave the drive-in? I don't know. "when we grow up, we're going to kill your wife." Why do they think they can't get this account unless Don takes the lead? i'm surprised that Peggy is going along with this? Liked the backstory with Bob and the ad executive played by Matthew Glave...the last time I saw Glave was a guest spot as a gay soccer player on Will & Grace. Look how big Pete's daughter is! Where is Pete's sudden burst of paternal responsibility coming from? We haven't seen Tammy since she was an infant. I'll say it again. Peggy really needs to get laid, the job has become her entire life? Joan's son is all kinds of adorable. Bob is not being realistic....he and Joan would become miserable pretty quickly if they married. I cannot believe they're making Harry a partner.

Season Seven, Ep 7. Ted turning off the engines was not in the least bit humorous. Why does he all of a sudden want to get out of advertising? And when is Lou Avery going to have the surgery to have the stick removed from his ass? "How did I marry Rick? He has no eyelashes." Sally's hair looked ridiculous...a little "mature" for her. Peggy asking a 12-year-old boy for fashion advice? This girl needs to get laid. Don needs to stop blaming the partners for his problems. Cooper is a mealy mouth who never fully commits to anything. Can't believe Roger doesn't stand up for Don more. Loved watching everything stop to watch Neil Armstrong. n Can't believe I was talking about Bert being a mealy mouth a minute ago and then we learn Bert is gone. Has Peggy really been this clueless about what's going on with Don? How lovely that they gave Robert Morse a musical farewell.

Season Seven Ep 8. This episode was dedicated to the late Mike Nichols. Loved Don coaching that model during her audition. They wanted us to think it was something more personal going on. Hate Roger's mustache. Loved when Roger called that waitress Mildred Pierce, but that reference was a little old for those girls. That movie was made about 25 years before this episode took place. Just remembered where I've seen the Topaz guy before...he played Ray Ramano's bookie on Men of a Certain Age. Good to see Ray Wise again. Is that Ginnifer Goodwin playing Kenny's wife? "Casting always starst on time. Can't you smell the cheap perfume?" Kudos to Peggy and Joan for keeping their composure with those three pigs. What's Don's obsession with this waitress about? He wasn't really pretending to already know her for a quickie in the alley? "I never fit in over there. I'm not Irish, I'm not Catholic, I could read.: That whole scene at the Chiva was uncomfortable. That last scene with Peggy, I can't remember the last time I saw her acting her so girly. Didn't quite catch how Kenny went from unemployed to client. Don and this waitress has now entered the area of sexual harassment.

Season Seven, Ep 9. Could that opening scene with Don, Betty, and Henry been anymore awkward for the grownups? Am I the only one who missed that Don and Megan have decided to divorce? Is the roll-0-dex another thing that went obsolete with the internet? I guess this waitress is another victim of the Don Draper Curse. Why are the women of the 1960's unable to say no to this guy. Don ha a point though...why does she come to his apartment at 3 in the morning and act coy? Wow, Mimi Rogers, looking fantastic. Draper's secretary, Meredith is approaching the annoying territory. Sylvia's husband is a dick. Why is Megan's mother still bitching about Don? The marriage is over. Why Pete this uptight nervous wreck al the time? Mimi and Jay R Ferguson, there's definitely chemistry there. Stan is long overdue for a love interest. This is boring I can see why this is the final season. Megan's mother needs to get over herself. I would admire her helping her daughter if her daughter actually asked for the help. Why did Harry lie about Megan? Don't believe that woman came onto Peggy, did not see that coming. He thinks giving her a million dollars makes everything OK? Don really messed with her head and her heart. This waitress is a little loonier than Don's usual favor of the month.

Season 7, Ep 10. Is that Sara Rue playing Melody? Why is Don taking so much crap from this real estate agent. Loving Bruce Greenwood and he definitely has chemistry with Christina Hendricks. Who is he to talk to her like that. Even if he's gotten taller and lost the baby fat, Glen is as creepy as ever. I can't believe he acts like that with Betty in front of Sally. "Why don't you just write down all of your dreams so I can shit on them." How adorable was that when Kevin said bye bye to Joan? "You don't have any character, you're just handsome!" I can't believe that guy used the word "heel". I can't even remember the last time I've heard the word "heel" used in that context. So Joan is going to pull a Peggy and just hoist her baby off on her mother? I hate this Betty/Glen thing...why doesn't she even try to discourage them? Is she that bored with her marriage? He's a kid, it's statutory rape. He's so full of himself, he went over to that house with the intent to have sex with Betty. Don's right. Sally is just like her parents. She needs to stop blaming them for everything in her life that's not working. OK, pretty sure that's not Sara Rue playing the real estate agent.

Season 7, Ep 11. rolling into the home stretch here. This episode was directed by Jared Harris. who played Lane Price. Why is Kenny still wearing that eye patch? His eye injury is permanent? Don needs to pick up his own messages, his answering service sucks.
I think answering services are another thing that became obsolete with the internet.
"Greenwich Connecticut is built on divorce money!" Joan handled that thing with the lease beautifully, the only true professional in this office. Maybe if she had spent some time with her baby, Peggy would know how to deal with these kids now. This lease thing seems to be setting up the end of the series. which makes sense. Love the way Meredith is completely incapable of reading a room. Why does Meredith refuse to leave the office until she's told to? Kenny's plaid jacket was offensive. Why are we just hearing about this Hatfield/McCoy thing with Peter's family? OK, I have no idea went on in that meeting, but the partners sure didn't look happy about it later at the bar. Why are they making Peggy so annoying this close to the end? Can't believe Peggy finally opened up to someone. If it were earlier in the run, I would be worried about Roger still involved with Marie, but this is the last season. They should put a bell on Meredith.

Season 7, Episode 12. Joan looked stunning in that red ensemble. Everything's looking great with this move, why did the partners all look so upset about it during the last episode? How did Joan not punch that guy in the face? She's such a pro. Why did Don walk out of that meeting? Peggy's never going to agree to a demotion. "From now on, no one comes between me and your business." Betty's full of crap. As long as Sally lives under her roof, she can't come come and go as she pleases. Burghoff just seems to be interested in making Joan his mistress and has no idea he's got the wrong girl. I'm assuming that brief dream sequence with Don and Cooper was the final appearance of Robert Morse? Why is there an organ in the office? Does Roger keep asking Peggy to run errands for him just to tick her off? I don't believe Roger telling Peggy that he held the office together. Joan rocks! Was that Mackenzie Astin in that scene with Don and why is Don using a fake name to track this woman down? I missed something, who is this woman Don's looking for? Peggy's slo-mo entrance into the new office was awesome! Roger should have given Joan the rest her money. This hitchhiker has trouble written all over him, though it can't be too much trouble at this point.

Season 7 Ep 13. Home stretch. I knew Don being pulled over was a dream but don't know why Don would be dreaming about that. What's u with Betty? Didn't see Duck's curtain call coming. "Go outside and tell everyone you're stagger into the old office." Why are they messing with Betty this late in the game? Vincent Karthesier looks chunky in this episode, like he's about to bust out of all of his clothes. A life-threatening illness? Why are thy doing this to Betty when they could be doing it to her daughter? Why is Don stuck in this one horse town in a run down hotel? i was a little disappointed that Trudy turned Pete down, though I'm not sure why. I think Sally talking to Betty is a terrible idea, Don should talk to her, Henry's pride and obsessiveness will never let that happen. OK, why doesn't this innkeeper want Don to leave? Pete has no business giving relationship advice to his brother or anyone else. Was that Max Gail in the glasses in that scene in the bar? I don't think Pete should trust Duck. Vincent Karthesier was excellent in that scene where he asked Trudy to consider a reconciliation and move to Witchita. I just don't get the point of that whole thing in the hotel...it's the second to last episode, I just didn't see the point. So Harry just expects Betty to break down and halt her life because she's sick? Sally marched to the beat of her own drum because Betty let her. OK, Don has lost his mind, which doesn't exactly surprise me.

And now....the series finale of Mad Men...going to be a little bizarre I think. Cannot believe Roger is going to end up with Megan's mother. Why do they dress Meredith like Heidi. Is it because it's the last episode that they're allowing Stan to look like Grizzle Adams? The thought of Joan going out of this show as a cokehead really disgusts me. Can't put my finger on it, but for some reason, I don't want to see Joan riding off into the sunset with Burghoff. Vincent and Elisabeth nailed the cactus scene. So glad that Sally told Don about Betty. The Don/Betty phone call was a heartbreaker, beautifully played by Jon Hamm and January Jones. Why is Don giving all this money to strangers? Just realized I loved the evolution of the relationship between Peggy and Joan from season one. That Don/Stephanie scene was strange. Did I miss it? When did Roger divorce Jane? Glad he's done with Marie, she's a gold digging bitch.. This cancer seems to be attacking Betty very aggressively. Didn't realize that Bobby and Gene know? So pleased that Roger wants to care of Kevin financially. Loved Kevin ignoring Roger. Oh God, is Don going to end up some hippie in a commune? Joan and Peggy with their own production company, that's awesome! "You weren't raised with Jesus. You don't know what happens to people who believe in things." Stephanie is a flake, Don deserves to go out with someone a little more stable. Why does Peggy enjoy picking fights with Stan? I knew it...Richard wants to take care of Joan and Joan doesn't want to be taken care of. After seven seasons, why does Don have to go out like this...full breakdown mode? He's survived so much. "I'm in a crowd, I just wanted hear your voice...see you soon." The Peggy/Stan phone call was fantastic....love Jay R Ferguson, what a terrific actor. Thrilled that Pete reunited with his family too. His finale might not have been what I wished for Roger, but it was appropriate for the character. The final musical moment was perfection. OK, I'm not happy where Don ended up, but it might have been consequences for some of his previous behavior. Yet, he seemed content. Other than Don, I was very pleased with the way the rest of the canvas landed for one of the best series finales I have ever seen. The last couple of episodes were a little on the grainy side and series finales are usually terrible, but Matthew Weiner and company nailed this. If I had to rate it,
Bravo AMC.

The Adventure Starts Here!
See, that's not how I interpreted that last scene with Don... at all.

I assumed that, while in that commune, he came up with the idea for that iconic Coca-Cola song/commercial. So, since we all know that ad really happened--and was probably Coke's biggest hit in terms of ads--I assumed that this meant Don leaves that commune scene and ends up back at what he's good at: being an ad man.

No?

The Adventure Starts Here!
That makes sense, but it doesn't play that way. That might have been the intention, but it needed to be spelled out a little more directly for us.
Odd, I got it right away. Probably since it's a commercial I grew up with, and this show is about people who produce commercials. I'd never assumed Don could stick it out as a hippie (or anything like it) for very long, so I guess I was primed to see him come out of it somehow.

If you ever rewatch that episode, see if it's not a little clearer. Because I'm 99% sure that's how the writers intended it.

Did everyone know that Anna Osceola, who played Clementine, the wellness retreat receptionist, is Jon Hamm’s wife?

See, that's not how I interpreted that last scene with Don... at all.

I assumed that, while in that commune, he came up with the idea for that iconic Coca-Cola song/commercial. So, since we all know that ad really happened--and was probably Coke's biggest hit in terms of ads--I assumed that this meant Don leaves that commune scene and ends up back at what he's good at: being an ad man.

No?
Bang on the money. I've not seen this since broadcast, but that's exactly what it was. Don is reborn and finds his place in the 70's by creating one of the biggest, most successful ad campaigns in history. After that, he's probably made for life in advertising. Could open his own company, be a partner, gun for hire, whatever he wanted.