Politics = Evil?

Tools    

Originally Posted by sunfrog
Are you talking to everyone? Lol

I didn't vote for Bush the first or second time. I'm pro oral sex.
If your saying GW is pro alternative energy and anti-oil you're insane.
No, I'm saying he's somewhere in the middle. What's insane is the idea that he's just an oil-crazy Texan. If he were, it wouldn't make any sense for him to allocate billions of dollars for research into alternative energy sources. And it'd make even less sense for him to repeatedly, and in the State of the Union, highlight the technology. Mentioning something in the SOTU is as big a push as you can usually give it.

At some point, you're going to have to come out with an argument apart from "you're insane," or I'm gonna go do something more productive, like talk to my dog.

I want a gas tax break. For every $2.00 I spend on gas I want a 50 cent rebate from the gvernment once the war is over. May as well go more in debt.
You can complain about the price of gas, or you can complain about us, in your view "stealing oil." Can't do both, though.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Yoda
You can complain about the price of gas, or you can complain about us, in your view "stealing oil."
i always thought i am in favor of higher oil prices. at least so some wouldn't take their car just to go buy cigs or a newspaper, while they could've walked just ten minutes... and i've seen that!

What's insane is the idea that he's just an oil-crazy Texan. If he were, it wouldn't make any sense for him to allocate billions of dollars for research into alternative energy sources.

You can complain about the price of gas, or you can complain about us, in your view "stealing oil." Can't do both, though.
He's passed a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense. He probably didn't know what he was saying or he said it so he wouldn't look like an oil-crazy Texan. Kinda like Laura's everybody should love the U.S. tour.

Why can't I? Yes I can, watch. I'm sick of the war for oil and high gas prices. See?

Everyone is getting rich off this thing and I'm getting screwed because:

A: America's going down a dark path and I can't move to Canada therefor I have to be a part of it. Like good Germans had to watch helplessly as the Nazi's attacked the world.
B. I have to pay high gas prices

I want my cut too. What do I get? Where's my bloodmoney?
After the war gas prices will come down but not all the way because people love screwing the public for huge profits. The President won't release the Federal Oil Reserve because it might run out and we'd have to pay what we're paying now for gas so I came up with a solution for him. I'll keep all my gas receipts and he can reimburse me 50 cents for every $2 after the war. I will go out and spend the rebate money and give the economy a boost. We both win.

You should put that on your dad's radio show. Then it could get national attention and the President would hear about it and do it.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.
LOL, come to think of it, neither do I.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
i always thought i am in favor of higher oil prices. at least so some wouldn't take their car just to go buy cigs or a newspaper, while they could've walked just ten minutes... and i've seen that!
I agree. Pretty much what you are saying is our society caters too much to lazy people, which means more money and oil is needed. Consumption in the united states is ridiculously high.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
A humble liberal babe sandwich.
This totally perplexed me until I realised you thought I meant I was the babe.
I meant babe sandwich in the way one says 'ciabatta sandwich'.

Are you a babe? I thought ciabatta was the bread not the stuff in the middle.

there's a frog in my snake oil
A: America's going down a dark path and I can't move to Canada therefor I have to be a part of it. Like good Germans had to watch helplessly as the Nazi's attacked the world.
B. I have to pay high gas prices
Sunny, you've completely outdone yourself. That's the least sense you've ever made . I think maybe you should stick to championing the medicinal properties of cranberries - you were on firmer ground there

On your 'US aiming for high oil prices' paranoia:

You think the US artificially raises its internal oil prices? You're nuts:

Firstly, you live in the country with the most leniantly taxed oil in the world, to my knowledge. And secondly...

Originally Posted by Jason Kennedy at ING - reported in: 'Oil spirals despite Opec output rise' by Jane Padgham - Evening Standard, 15 June 2005
"It is limited refining capacity that is supporting prices. US refineries are at 96% utilisation - almost maxed out."
The US doesn't have the luxury of playing price-raising output games (unlike the OPEC countries).

On your 'we went into Iraq with oil-related benefits in mind' thing:

Sure, there's plenty of reasons to believe that, but your frothing frolics into conjecture really don't help matters. It's a complicated issue...

Here's a swift update on the two major oil-related invasion-incentives:

-Destabilisation of the OPEC alliance

Secret US plans for Iraq's oil

This investigation claims that:
-The US planned to increase Iraqi output to break Opec's monoply (but were prevented by Iraqi insurgencies, and perhaps partially by oil industry influence amongst the government heirarchy)

-Securing petrodollar hegemony

IE the theory that when Saddam started trading his oil in Euros in 2000, rather than the ubiquitous 'petrodollars', the US feared he would speed up similar currency-shifts across the globe, thus undermining the core strut underpinning the US economy: dollar hegemony.

The currency-shift trend continues, lending validity to such fears...

Dollar at mercy of central banks

Members of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries have cut the proportion of deposits held in dollars from 75 per cent to 61.5 per cent in the past three years.
The Bank of Thailand said this month it was considering reducing the proportion of its $50bn reserves held in dollars from 80 per cent to 50 per cent. Russian officials have made similar noises.
A detailed survey out today suggests that central banks are increasingly moving official reserves out of the dollar and into the euro.
Of course, some of the dollar's problems stem from its susceptibility to being affected by oil prices... which leads us back to OPEC...

---

So you see Sunny, there are powerful reasons to suspect oil-motives in the Iraq invasion - but please, try not to fill up this sensitive zone of conjecture with too much blather next time, will you?

No, I'm saying he's somewhere in the middle. What's insane is the idea that he's just an oil-crazy Texan. If he were, it wouldn't make any sense for him to allocate billions of dollars for research into alternative energy sources.
Very true

But looking to the future, as the Bush-admin is thankfully doing (at least on their own turf ), doesn't mean they aren't playing naughty games in the present with oil - which is still currently number one on the US's list of 'must have' energy sources.

Just saying, that's all

Originally Posted by Golgot
Sunny, you've completely outdone yourself. That's the least sense you've ever made
Hi Gol,
The Hitler thing was intended to get Yoda's goat. I was going to compare him to someone who wanted to join the Hitler Youth and compare me to someone who didn't but had to, like The Pope. Twt hates when I do stuff like that.

I didn't say oil prices were being artificially inflated I said they would be after the war, and not only that but the U.S. will use it's new found control of Iraqi and Afghani oil to bully other nations. I have no proof, it's a prediction and the future hasn't happened yet. It's like predicting who will win the Superbowl or the Footiebowl before the season starts.

I like everything you said tho. I think. At first I laughed, then I cried, then I felt relived, and finally I felt exhausted and spent. Two thumbs up! Heh.

But then you lost it at the end. Don't you know the government tries to confuse you on purpose so it can carry out it's evil deeds unrestrained? It makes sense if you don't intend to pay those billions of dollars. It makes sense if it's subterfuge. Saying GW is anti-oil is like saying glow-in-the dark fish aren't energy efficient and that's why we shouldn't have any.

Someone Save Us College Kids
Hi
......."Don't you know the government tries to confuse you on purpose so it can carry out it's evil deeds unrestrained?.........

You're starting to sound like a separatist Padme!!!!

The Founding Fathers were separatists you know.

Thats what I try to explain to people.

To dissent...is to express your right of freedom.

Yes, I do know that. I guess you have never seen Revenge of the Sith.

No, and I don't plan to unless it's by accident.

History will remember George Dubya as the Hitler of our time. -Me
Hey, that's kind of catchy.

I don't think you've realized that in history if you look right down to stricly black and white there is no good president. Sure there is a few maybe FDR, but every president has at least done something to shock America whether it be political decisions or decisions in their lifes. NO ones perfect ..... whether Bush is going to be remembered as the Hitler of our time (which I think is a ignorant thing to say but whatever ) I personaly don't like Bush but I have better reasons then the same ones you keep bringing up over and over again.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hi Gol,
The Hitler thing was intended to get Yoda's goat...
...I didn't say oil prices were being artificially inflated I said they would be after the war, and not only that but the U.S. will use it's new found control of Iraqi and Afghani oil to bully other nations.
Hey Sunny,

Yeah, i was more worried by your bizarre mish-mash of arguments than your usual Yoda-baiting bombast

And, OK, you've clarified (sort of) that you believe the US will artificially maintain high oil prices in the future - and well, i still think your nuts to think that as well (for the previously given reasons, for a start).

But i'm going to follow Yod's and Slay's lead, and not bother to reason with you about this or any of your other cobbled-together points. You've been zapped by one too many solar flares methinks

I have no proof, it's a prediction and the future hasn't happened yet.
Predictions have to be based on some level of fact Sunshine. Can't have political threads based purely on guess-throwing now can we

It's a shame that you have to create these phantasm fears though, when there are so many interesting complexities and realities in the world of politics, industry and energy that are worth discussing.

Heigh ho.

It's like predicting who will win the Superbowl or the Footiebowl before the season starts.
It's called the Hooligan-ball, as well you know

Predictions have to be based on some level of fact Sunshine. Can't have political threads based purely on guess-throwing now can we
Sure I can. Why does everyone tell me what I can't do? There's no rules. Watch.

All you people that say the Iraq/Afghanistan thing will work out wonderful are just predicting. You're guessing that it will. See. Everybody's doing it.

As for facts, isn't it a fact that the U.S. has a horrible foreign policy? Why will we all of a sudden get it right? If you want your prediction to be based on facts you have you conclude that we're screwing up big time...again. Just like in the past.

It's a shame that you have to create these phantasm fears though, when there are so many interesting complexities and realities in the world of politics, industry and energy that are worth discussing.
I don't have to. I have lots of facts. Twt just avoids them. Even if you tell him 1+1=2 he'll find a way around it.

P.S. I still want a gas rebate after the war. Why can't I have one?