Just how influential was Se7en?

Tools    

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I wouldn't have said it if I didn't. What are you...new?
I think she meant do you think that Seven was all style and no substance? At least that's what I'm wondering.

Of course. I knew that.

*whistle-whistle-whistle*
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Skiny White Film Fan
I love David Fincher Fight Club was better but Seven is really cool too. I love his style like in The Panic Room how he swops over counter tops through key holes. He's a great director.

Originally Posted by loopie
Se7en is definitely a classic, and you just can't avoid other movies copying the classics.
I agree with the dog with the big snout.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I know too many people who just refuse to watch subtitled movies. Oh well...they don't know what they're missing unless they've at least had a taste...and most of them won't even bother doing that. They can go ahead and live on Big Macs while I dine on Walnut, Arugula, and Gorgonzola Crostini, Greens with Goat Cheese Croutons, and Chocolate Jalapeno Cake.
I know what you mean. That is why I rarely see subtitled movies, not because I don't like them but because no one else does. However I just borrowed a Brazilian movie from the library called The Man of The Year. It won best film at the San Francisco Int'l Film Festival and it looks really good. Have you seen it?

No I haven't.

I've seen a lot of foreign films, tho'

If you're interested seeing member's listings of their personal favorites, check out this thread.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I dine on Walnut, Arugula, and Gorgonzola Crostini, Greens with Goat Cheese Croutons, and Chocolate Jalapeno Cake.
Sounds like heaven for one of Viz's best loved creations....

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'm watching Hannibal right now (it's a break for commercials). I see a lot of Se7en-like stuff.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I can't think what may have influenced Donnie Darko other than the insight that introspective and complicated plotting was popular at the time. Perhaps M. Night Shyamalan could be accused of recreating that trend in Hollywood.
I think Donnie Darko was one of those "one every 5 year movies" that really stand out without having been influenced by a particular trend. I've never seen anything like Donnie Darko and doubt we will for a very long time. M. Night Shyamalan certainly revived the essence of the "twist" movie, however, in terms of filmaking he is just another replicator of Alfred Hitchcock only he does it better than any other filmaker i've seen.

Se7en was definately influential in both style and substance. Stylistically the cinematography, the dark-gritty sets, the tough detectives, the religious undertones and Kevin Spacey as one of the most frightening killers i've ever seen. The latest rip-off of Se7en which was so blatantly a rip-off it was laughable was Taking Lives with Angelina Jolie, just from the opening credits you can tell that the director had seen Se7en one too many times.

In terms of substance, I think Se7en saw the revival of serial killer movies and the movement away from gangster, mafia films. However, one can definately see a correlation between the two sub-genres in Se7en, the lighting, the gritty sets and the expose on the seedy underbelly of society is definately a trait most often associated with mob movies.

Appy-polly-loggies
Originally Posted by the_wanderer
I think Donnie Darko was one of those "one every 5 year movies" that really stand out without having been influenced by a particular trend. I've never seen anything like Donnie Darko and doubt we will for a very long time. M. Night Shyamalan certainly revived the essence of the "twist" movie, however, in terms of filmaking he is just another replicator of Alfred Hitchcock only he does it better than any other filmaker i've seen.

Se7en was definately influential in both style and substance. Stylistically the cinematography, the dark-gritty sets, the tough detectives, the religious undertones and Kevin Spacey as one of the most frightening killers i've ever seen. The latest rip-off of Se7en which was so blatantly a rip-off it was laughable was Taking Lives with Angelina Jolie, just from the opening credits you can tell that the director had seen Se7en one too many times.

I have nothing more to say then just Agree, and say that was well put.......... very well put!

In terms of substance, I think Se7en saw the revival of serial killer movies and the movement away from gangster, mafia films. However, one can definately see a correlation between the two sub-genres in Se7en, the lighting, the gritty sets and the expose on the seedy underbelly of society is definately a trait most often associated with mob movies.
I have nothing more to say than agree.... and well say that that was well put, veryyy well put!

The Best movie love it, i also think it influenced saw on the whole teaching a lesson way to kill, i have a question does anybody know the name of that movie where i think 4 guys rob a bank and they are wearing the nixon masks or something like that i saw it a long time ago and cant remember the name

And this is my BOOMstick!
I still don't understand, what is this movie trying to prove?

Originally Posted by capncrunch69
The Best movie love it, i also think it influenced saw on the whole teaching a lesson way to kill, i have a question does anybody know the name of that movie where i think 4 guys rob a bank and they are wearing the nixon masks or something like that i saw it a long time ago and cant remember the name
Point Break.... I think.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
Point Break.... I think.
Yep, that was my first guess too.

Originally Posted by Nitzer
As much as I love Se7en, I'm not sure there was supposed to be a direct meaning to this movie besides perhaps imbedding the Seven deadly sins in the moviegoer's mind for the rest of his life.

However, the message I myself got out of this movie was summed up in the very last line of Morgan Freeman's when he said:

"Earnest Hemmingway once wrote.......'the world is a fine place and worth fighting for'.......I agree with the second part."

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Nitzer
I'm not sure it's trying to prove anything; it's rather showing or depicting something.