Noirvember 2023 - Rate the last noir you watched

Tools    

ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW 1959 Robert Wise

Excellent little heist Noir with an exceptional soundtrack and subject matter.
Strong ending because of a very powerful last line.

-

ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW 1959 Robert Wise

Excellent little heist Noir with an exceptional soundtrack and subject matter.
Strong ending because of a very powerful last line.

-
I didn't remember that Robert Ryan was in it, I'd watched it when I was binging all of Gloria Grahame's films. She was in a of noirs and had a smaller role in this one. I remember it was a good noir!

There are several male actors who are immediately and lastingly associated with Classic Noir: Bogart. Mitchum. Lancaster. All legends. But for me the king of the genre is really...

Robert Ryan was in fifteen Films Noir in the initial, classic 1940-1959 period. Chronologically they are The Woman on the Beach (1947), Crossfire (1947), Berlin Express (1948), Act of Violence (1948), Caught (1949), The Set-Up (1949), The Woman on Pier 13 - I Married a Communist (1949), Born to Be Bad (1950), The Secret Fury (1950), The Racket (1951), On Dangerous Ground (1951), Clash by Night (1952), Beware, My Lovely (1952), House of Bamboo (1955), and Odds Against Tomorrow (1959). All of them are worth seeing, five or six of them are bonafide, undisputed top notch Noir classics, the very definition of what the movement was all about.

Despite that huge and impressive stamp in the Noir genre, Ryan doesn't have the same marquee icon value of a Bogart or Lancaster. But he should. Anyone who delves into the genre learns about him very quickly. He played both heroes and villains, but it is the villains he is best known for. Starting with Crossfire where he played a hateful racist who murders a Jewish man he had served with in the Army. Robert Mitchum and Robert Young were the good guys and it also features one of the female stars of the genre, Gloria Grahame, but Robert Ryan is who steals the picture. Directed by Edward Dmytryk (The Caine Mutiny), it was the first B-Picture to earn a Best Picture nomination. Dmytryk, Grahame, and Ryan all also got nominations. None of them won. A straight drama, also centered on anti-Semitism, won Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress instead: Gentleman's Agreement. Ryan lost Best Supporting Actor to Edmund Gwenn's Kris Kringle in Miracle on 34th Street. Somehow it would be Robert Ryan's only Oscar nomination.

The next classic Ryan co-starred in is Act of Violence. This time even though he is a menacing figure, he is actually justified in that vengeance. Van Heflin stars as a man who returns from WWII branded a hero. He led an escape attempt of a Nazi POW Camp where his fellow soldiers were killed but he managed to live. He is now a civic-minded, well-liked citizen with a beautiful wife (Janet Leigh), but he is harboring a secret about that escape, and a brooding, limping man from his past has come to make him pay for it. That man is, of course, Robert Ryan. Probably the first great film from High Noon director Fred Zinnemann who would go on to win Oscars for From Here to Eternity and A Man For All Seasons.

A Noir where Ryan got to play the good guy, if a doomed one, is The Set-Up. Directed by the legendary Robert Wise who seemingly never met a genre he didn't like, Ryan is a boxer and the picture unfolds in real time on the night of a bout. He is older, at the tail end of his career, with a wife (Audrey Totter) and a dream of retiring to open a cigar stand and maybe manage the occasional fighter. He is facing a young up and comer who is heavily favored. What he doesn't know is his manager (George Tobias) has made a deal with a mobster to throw the fight. He hasn't told him because he figures he's going to lose anyway, so why hurt his pride. But as the fight continues it is the old man who seems to have the upper hand. What will he do once he learns about the fix? One of the pillars of the genre and widely influential on everything from Raging Bull to Pulp Fiction. Ryan should have at least been nominated, the year that Broderick Crawford won for All the King's Men and Kirk Douglas was nominated for playing a boxer in Champion.

Ryan plays another flawed good guy in On Dangerous Ground, one of several collaborations with Nicholas Ray (including another very good Noir from that same year, The Racket, with Robert Mitchum and Lizabeth Scott). He plays a big city cop who is pretty well burned out, now known for a short fuse and beating up suspects. He is banished upstate to the quieter countryside and becomes embroiled in a manhunt. A young woman has been murdered and the suspect is being tracked through the snowy woods. He is accompanied by the victim's father (Ward Bond), who intends to kill the man before he can be brought in. During the chase they happen upon a remote cabin inhabited by a beautiful blind woman (Ida Lupino). You can watch it yourself to see how it turns out from there. There's also a fantastic Bernard Hermann score.

Two years later Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino reunited for the tense Beware, My Lovely. Lupino plays a widow who impulsively hires a stranger (Ryan) as a handyman. She learns very quickly but too late that he is odd. Dangerously odd. He exhibits symptoms of schizophrenia or some other mental disorder. She is essentially trapped in the house, trying desperately to manage his psychotic mood swings while looking for an opportunity to escape or call for help before he hurts her.

Sam Fuller's House of Bamboo is one of the few color Noirs, also shot in full widescreen CinemaScope. Robert Stack stars as an Army Sergeant who goes undercover in Tokyo to infiltrate a mob of murderous American thieves led by our man Robert Ryan. He has one of the all-time great villain scenes in the genre when he bursts in on a man he thinks double crossed him, bathing in a wooden barrel, and without warning or a word empties his gun into the barrel. He then calmly berates the dead man for his transgressions.

At the very end of the 1950s Ryan agreed to do one more Noir, one that harkens back a bit to his breakthrough in Crossfire, Odds Against Tomorrow, again directed by the great Robert Wise. Ed Begley (Senior, of course, not Jr.) plays a disgruntled ex-cop who has a plan to rob a bank. He enlists a career criminal and ex-con, played by Robert Ryan, as well as a nightclub performer played by Harry Belafonte, who is reluctant to get involved but has big gambling debts he needs to wipe out. The problem is Ryan's character is an unabashed racist. All are desperate for money so they agree to work together, but it is the hatred that may undo them as much as the crime itself. Co-starring Shelley Winters and Gloria Grahame.

If you only know the older Robert Ryan from The Wild Bunch or The Dirty Dozen, have a blast diving into these Noirs. He has appeared on two of the MoFo Lists in the past, in addition to The Wild Bunch on the Westerns List and Dirty Dozen for War Films, he was in three more Westerns that charted in The Naked Spur and two very much influenced by Noir in Bad Day at Black Rock and Day of the Outlaw. He is also one of the many stars in The Longest Day.

Ryan died fairly young at the age of 63 in 1973. One of his last films is a Neo-Noir, playing the lead mobster in The Outfit with Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker looking for revenge on the organization.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

VIOLENT SATURDAY 1955 Richard Fleischer

The colors, wardrobe, sets and cast were all top notch in gorgeous looking Cinemascope. As a Noir however not a contender. Mostly because of its third act. Loved The Narrow Margin and Tora! Tora! Tora! so I expected better from Fleischer.

The File on Thelma Jordon (1950)

Assistant district attorney Cleve Marshall (Wendell Corey) is spending the evening away from the wife & kids....drinking away his troubles when Thelma Jordon (Barbara Stanwyck) walks into his law office late at night seeking help about a burglary at her rich aunt's estate. Cleve takes her out for dancing and even more drinks. He feels he can 'talk to her' about his domestic problems. The next day a sober Cleve meets up with Thelma and they start up a disastrous affair. CR

Director Robert Siodmak helms another solid noir with a surprisingly strong performance by Wendell Corey. I never payed much attention to Corey before but he was well suited for the nice guy role with a nice and pretty wife and kids who ends up way over his head in an affair that results in his mistress being charged with murder and Corey having to prosecute her in court.

Assistant district attorney Cleve Marshall (Wendell Corey) is spending the evening away from the wife & kids....drinking away his troubles when Thelma Jordon (Barbara Stanwyck) walks into his law office late at night seeking help about a burglary at her rich aunt's estate. Cleve takes her out for dancing and even more drinks. He feels he can 'talk to her' about his domestic problems. The next day a sober Cleve meets up with Thelma and they start up a disastrous affair. CR

Director Robert Siodmak helms another solid noir with a surprisingly strong performance by Wendell Corey. I never payed much attention to Corey before but he was well suited for the nice guy role with a nice and pretty wife and kids who ends up way over his head in an affair that results in his mistress being charged with murder and Corey having to prosecute her in court.

I liked this one. Barbara Stanwyck is very good here.

The Enforcer (1951)

This was a disturbing movie for 1951. It's roughly based on the Murder Incorporated contract killings for profit that was busted up by the police in 1941. I found this movie well made, riveting...and it disturbed me with all the calculated killing of innocent people. I bet alot of MoFos would like this noir. It's certainly not a melo-drama romance/noir, it's all about organized crime and contract killing and the police efforts to stop them. It reminded me of Goodfellas.

The Big Sleep.

4.5/5

Night Editor (1946)

A 68 minute long b-noir. Not a classic, but a fun flick with some colorful characters, especially the society dame who's dripping in jewels and fur. Her snobbery and erratic behavior is a hoot. Played by Janis Carter who was in a number of noirs. The married cop she's dating, witnesses a murder but doesn't stop the bad guy as he's parked with his rich girlfriend for some midnight fun...You can image the guilt and problems that causes him. But why does his well-to-do gal want to see the face of the murder victim so badly? And why is Jeff Donnell, the cops spouse so stepford like? For those and many other questions you'll have to watch it!

+

Night Editor (1946)

A 68 minute long b-noir. Not a classic, but a fun flick with some colorful characters, especially the society dame who's dripping in jewels and fur. Her snobbery and erratic behavior is a hoot. Played by Janis Carter who was in a number of noirs. The married cop she's dating, witnesses a murder but doesn't stop the bad guy as he's parked with his rich girlfriend for some midnight fun...You can image the guilt and problems that causes him. But why does his well-to-do gal want to see the face of the murder victim so badly? And why is Jeff Donnell, the cops spouse so stepford like? For those and many other questions you'll have to watch it!

+
I liked this one.

House of Bamboo
(Samuel Fuller 1955)

This one was a stand out. My third watch and I really appreciate the gonzo style of street filming that director Sam Fuller used. I read the director didn't bother with permits but used hidden cameras and filmed on location on the Tokyo streets and shops. The results are the people on the street are captured behaving completely natural, no looking at the camera...and those are real Japanese civilians not paid actors. However don't think that means the cinematography isn't fluid and dynamic, it is, very much so. Fuller was one of those hands-on directors who had worked in journalism early in his career and knew how to capture moments that other directors might have missed.

One big claim to fame for House of Bamboo is that it was one of the first American films to be shot on location in Japan and not just a few shots done by a second camera crew. The film embraces the sights and sounds of mid 1950s occupied Japan...and does it in glorious color and wide screen CinemaScope! I know of no other film from that time frame that can claim that.

The story is a good one too, quite excitied and the score fitting for the location. A couple months ago I watched the lead actress Shirley Yamaguchi in Japanese War Bride (1952) and was impressed with her. She lead an interesting life and was almost executed in China. Read her Wiki page.
++
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	96563  

Quicksand

This is why I don’t pick movies at random that I have never heard too often. I picked this because of Lorre. He is really good in his handful of scenes, but there is way too little of that. The story is fine but the script overall is beyond wonky. This feels very stilted way too often. This was a bummer, but hopefully I have kept a few of you from bothering.

Quicksand

This is why I don’t pick movies at random that I have never heard too often. I picked this because of Lorre. He is really good in his handful of scenes, but there is way too little of that. The story is fine but the script overall is beyond wonky. This feels very stilted way too often. This was a bummer, but hopefully I have kept a few of you from bothering.

I think Thief is a fan of that one, I know he's recommended it to me before. I've seen it and liked it but I could see it being called noir light. Probably because it's a Mickey Rooney vehicle and at that time he played likeable characters in comedies. I see it's only 79 minutes so I'll see if I can squeeze it in one of these nights. I've been forewarned

I agree. This is a perfect example of what noir is. Here's a little commentary from a few years ago:

The File on Thelma Jordon (copyright 8/01/1949)

This is a must-see
noir, if for no other reason than for it was directed by one of the very greatest noir directors, Robert Siodmak (The Killers, Criss Cross, Phantom Lady).

An unusual title (hard to remember), it stars
Barbara Stanwyck and Wendell Corey. The story bears more than a passing resemblance to Double Indemnity, done 5 years earlier. Story writer Marty Holland (Fallen Angel) and screenwriter Ketti Frings (Come Back Little Sheba) had to have patterned their writing on Messrs. Caine, Wilder and Chandler's superb earlier film.

Stanwyck plays another rotten
femme fatale, who in this story manipulates an assistant D.A. (Corey) into defending her against the murder of her aunt, thought to be murdered by her secret husband.

This, along with
Rear Window, is Corey's finest work. He always seemed limited in scope, but in the right role, such as this one, no one could have done it better.

George Barnes' (Jane Eyre, Spellbound) moody photography demonstrates how a noir ought to be lit. If you haven't seen this premier noir, it's available for free on the Internet Archive or YouTube.

Doc's rating: 7/10

The Enforcer (1951)

This was a disturbing movie for 1951. It's roughly based on the Murder Incorporated contract killings for profit that was busted up by the police in 1941. I found this movie well made, riveting...and it disturbed me with all the calculated killing of innocent people. I bet alot of MoFos would like this noir. It's certainly not a melo-drama romance/noir, it's all about organized crime and contract killing and the police efforts to stop them. It reminded me of Goodfellas.

Excellent photography by Robert Burks, who was cinematographer for 12 of Hitchcock's best films in the '50s & '60s.

Last night I re-watched Kid Monk Baroni (1952). An okay mild boxing drama, tagged as noir at Wikipedia, most notable for an early starring role of Leonard Nimoy. He plays a street gang member who gets reformed by the church, but through unexpected circumstances is plunged into the fight game. His relationships are tested as he battles his moral conscience and ever present obsessive anxiety over his looks. The film feels like one of those B pictures about the younger generation you might expect from the late '50s, crossed with 'Dead End Kids' style themes. Also stars Jack Larson of Jimmy Olsen/Superman fame and the lovely Allene Roberts.

6/10