Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
meaty gives 2001 a negative 10 (well, close enough), and that's OK with me, but I'm not sure he believes it's an opinion, or he has any need to delve any further into it. No, this is not meat-bashing here. I'm not pulling a Rocky in the freezer. You go, meaty. Just keep surprising us.

Your rating is absolute blasphemy. How can you say there was little focus on characters? Here's my recommendation to you. Study film. I mean real film. Not Spiderman, Batman, or any other recycled crap you so proudly love. Study real cinema

There was so much focus put on the Schindler and Goeth, it makes me wonder if you actually saw the film or not. Did you not see both character's arcs? Or Goeth's lack thereof? Did you not see how they both were completely the same and different? How they played off eachother? How each changed because one another's actions?

Are you retarded? How can you give this a 3.5 yet have the balls to give Dark Knight 5? Honestly, you're a disgrace to film and every great film out there. No, don't tell me to stop being rude or that I need to keep my opinions to myself. There is a difference between fact and opinion, smart and retarded. Your rating isn't an opinion. It's just retarded. Do yourself a favor and google.....Greatest Movies of All Time. And see where Schindler's List is. And no, don't come back and say lists are an opinion. I want you to find a top 100 list from a good credible source. And take a good hard look at where Schindler's List is. Because honestly, I don't know your credentials or film experience. So I may let you slide on saying something as stupid as "there was little focus on the characters."

Do you live in Los Angeles or New York or Philadelphia? If so, walk into either of these locations; The Los Angeles Film School, Melintz Hall on the UCLA campus, The Tisch School in NYC, or the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Walk in, find an instructor as fast as you can, and ask them what they think of Schindler's List. Actually, ask them this because your so smart right? Ask them "The Dark Knight vs. Schindler's List; which film is better?"

And see what they say. Tell me. Start a thread titled "PrometheusFG made me look like a bitch because I thought I was smart when really I'm just retarded..."

And post their responses so the entire community here can see that you know just as much about film as Paris Hilton knows about the real world. Nada! Zip. Absolutely nothing. Here, a favor from me to you. I'll extend a request to Yoda to desginate a specific part of the forums for uneducated self-proclaimed film buffs like yourself to spew your stupid opinions at. It can be called..."We think we know, but we don't", and you can have threads like...."Fellini vs. Nolan: who is better?" or.... "The Third Man vs. Sin City: which noir is better?"

Does that sound good? Sounds like a great plan to accompany that greatly incompetant mind of yours. It's beautiful. And while everyone in these forums will stand by your side saying PrometheusFG overreacted and that you have a right to your opinion; they are wrong. Someone had to say it. Everyone here lets these stupid opinions fly like it's nothing. Like everyone's feelings are so fragile and that if we try to even debate, they will cry. ********! It's not even about Schindler's List vs. The Dark Knight.

I have seen people on here swear that Memento is the best film since 2000. What the hell? Did you not see Y Tu Mama Tambien? I have seen people say "This film is regarded as a classic noir but I just didn't see the point of the narraration..." Film noir goes hand in hand with narraration! I have seen Spiderman 3 get a better rating than Mean Streets, The Prestige called a masterpiece while Taxi Driver is called crap, Heath Ledger as the Joker is the best performance since 2000, "I have never heard of Seven Samurai but gee whiz, The Last Samurai was great!", "who the hell is Frederico Fellini and what is Neorealism...nobody needs that when you have Bryan Singer."

Half the members on here couldn't even name a single film from Jean Renoir or Wilder, yet they call themselves film buffs.
This was really unnecessary. You need therapy.

Also, I'd like to say that even if I disagree with Meatwadspirit's assessment of Schindler's List -- I do respect his opinion -- it is also slightly refreshing to read someone with a different point-of-view that doesn't flow directly from the masses. It runs both ways, not directly from Hollywood, but also from this art-house snobbery that runs rampant.

By the way, who are you to define "real cinema"..?

I've seen the only four movies on your favorite list and Schindler's List is the only one I enjoyed.

I couldn't even sit through 8 1/2 or The Seventh Seal - nor do I think Raging Bull is even close to being the best Scorsese movie.

So there I just shot down three of your favorite movies with about as much argument as you've made in those long paragraphs of whining.

Also , why don't you make a top 100 list or at least complete your top 10 list - so you can educate the so uneducated people on this forums.
meaty, your comment about The Seventh Seal reminds me of Diner when Steve Guttenberg, who's about to get married, says that "the movie just started and I don't know what the hell's going on." Of course, Death was playing chess with a Knight from the Crusades. (I couldn't find that scene.)

Now, just by coincidence, I'll post another scene from Diner where Guttenberg understands completely who "Death" is. (Sorry about the distorted visuals, but this is the best I could find.) HA!

"It's Ripley's, I'm tellin' you."

@ ThePrestige - Why did his Blade Runner review anger you? He gave it a good rating, if I remember correctly...

Yeah, I only saw his original review of it and not his new one. Respect to The Meatswader for giving it another chance and recognising Ridley Scott's excellence .

Your rating is absolute blasphemy. How can you say there was little focus on characters? Here's my recommendation to you. Study film. I mean real film. Not Spiderman, Batman, or any other recycled crap you so proudly love. Study real cinema

There was so much focus put on the Schindler and Goeth, it makes me wonder if you actually saw the film or not. Did you not see both character's arcs? Or Goeth's lack thereof? Did you not see how they both were completely the same and different? How they played off eachother? How each changed because one another's actions?

Are you retarded? How can you give this a 3.5 yet have the balls to give Dark Knight 5? Honestly, you're a disgrace to film and every great film out there. No, don't tell me to stop being rude or that I need to keep my opinions to myself. There is a difference between fact and opinion, smart and retarded. Your rating isn't an opinion. It's just retarded. Do yourself a favor and google.....Greatest Movies of All Time. And see where Schindler's List is. And no, don't come back and say lists are an opinion. I want you to find a top 100 list from a good credible source. And take a good hard look at where Schindler's List is. Because honestly, I don't know your credentials or film experience. So I may let you slide on saying something as stupid as "there was little focus on the characters."

Do you live in Los Angeles or New York or Philadelphia? If so, walk into either of these locations; The Los Angeles Film School, Melintz Hall on the UCLA campus, The Tisch School in NYC, or the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Walk in, find an instructor as fast as you can, and ask them what they think of Schindler's List. Actually, ask them this because your so smart right? Ask them "The Dark Knight vs. Schindler's List; which film is better?"

And see what they say. Tell me. Start a thread titled "PrometheusFG made me look like a bitch because I thought I was smart when really I'm just retarded..."

And post their responses so the entire community here can see that you know just as much about film as Paris Hilton knows about the real world. Nada! Zip. Absolutely nothing. Here, a favor from me to you. I'll extend a request to Yoda to desginate a specific part of the forums for uneducated self-proclaimed film buffs like yourself to spew your stupid opinions at. It can be called..."We think we know, but we don't", and you can have threads like...."Fellini vs. Nolan: who is better?" or.... "The Third Man vs. Sin City: which noir is better?"

Does that sound good? Sounds like a great plan to accompany that greatly incompetant mind of yours. It's beautiful. And while everyone in these forums will stand by your side saying PrometheusFG overreacted and that you have a right to your opinion; they are wrong. Someone had to say it. Everyone here lets these stupid opinions fly like it's nothing. Like everyone's feelings are so fragile and that if we try to even debate, they will cry. ********! It's not even about Schindler's List vs. The Dark Knight.

I have seen people on here swear that Memento is the best film since 2000. What the hell? Did you not see Y Tu Mama Tambien? I have seen people say "This film is regarded as a classic noir but I just didn't see the point of the narraration..." Film noir goes hand in hand with narraration! I have seen Spiderman 3 get a better rating than Mean Streets, The Prestige called a masterpiece while Taxi Driver is called crap, Heath Ledger as the Joker is the best performance since 2000, "I have never heard of Seven Samurai but gee whiz, The Last Samurai was great!", "who the hell is Frederico Fellini and what is Neorealism...nobody needs that when you have Bryan Singer."

Half the members on here couldn't even name a single film from Jean Renoir or Wilder, yet they call themselves film buffs.

Rarr, talk about a man period. I accidentally gave you a positive rep (because i'm so used to positive reppin' people nowadays ). I wish I could take it back, kiddo.

So let me get this straight: You think that by mentioning guys like Jean Renoir and eras of World Cinema that your opinion is more valid than anybody elses on this board? Lmao! I find you fascinating because you seem to be taking Meats reviews personally by this point. Son, go outside right now, and go and have a drink. This type of mental instability is hazardous to your health. It's very sad.

Psycho (1 viewing) [spoiler alert]

Plot : Marion Crane who is ready to leave her normal life steals $40,000 to runaway with her lover

Story : The first half of the story focuses on the Marion as she must controll her own fear of getting caught with the money. On her way to her boyfriend she checks into the Bates Motel where she is murdered out of nowhere and the movie becomes more of a mystery. The owner of the bates motel supposdly lives with his mother in a house right next to it. His mother is apparently "ill" and she is the one who killed Marion. As more people come to investigate the motel the mother continues to kill more people.

Pacing : For the most part of the film it is paced really great , but the scene where Norman (motel owner) gets rid of the evidence is really pointless and could have been taken down to about a minute.

How Scary : There aren't really moments that shock you right away - it's just the entire theme of the movie and the eerieness that scares you long after the movie is over.

Visuals : The Bates Motel really comes to life , although it actually is a movie set - I thought it was on location filming. Apart from that this movie dosen't opack a very big punch in this area : except for the shower scene.

WARNING: "Psycho" spoilers below
Twist and Ending : For me it was pretty obvious that Norman was assuming the identity of his mother. But , the ending is one of the dumbest parts of the movie where the pschiotrist explains the whole thing. As for the exact ending - well that was defintly the scariest part of the whole movie.

Sypnosis : Although the story is really great for the most part - I didn't like this movie simply because it haunts you. I would say it is defintly the best horror film I have ever seen though.

My Personal Rating (I don't like horror movies)

Rating as a Horror Movie

One, this is a screenshot from the new Psycho, not the original...

Two (if you watched the original), you missed the film's entire point. It is not a horror film. Rather it is a psychological portrait on sexual abuse. Norman is his mother because he was sexually abused by her as a child. The film gives several clues. This is what causes his obsession with the woman. Psycho is a multi-layered film. Whenever you watch a movie, don't take it for it seems to be on the surface! That's the secret to be a good reviewer.

Spiderman 3 (2 viewings)

Plot : With some things solved in spiderman 2 there was much left open for the third (and final?) installment.

Story : A new enemy is introduced Sandman and Peter Parker's photo rival Eddie Brock (who later becomes Venom) also keep the story interesting. But , the majority of the movie focuses on Peter Parker , Mary Jane , and Harry Osbourn as their friendship goes through problems resulting in Peter Parker finding a new black spiderman suit - which seemingly gives him more power , but makes him more aggresive and full of himself. Sandman's character isn't as one sided as the past characters either - he has a dieing daughter and robs places for money to cure her. Overall , this is one of the fastest paced stories and tons of fun to watch unfold.

Visuals : The action scenes are some of the best of any movie - with extensive use of CGI basicly the whole movie. Whole stories of buildings are knocked out with tiny objects flying out of them - spiderman jumps through another building and flies out the window - and sandman is one of the most detalied CGI characters ever.

Sypnosis : The spiderman series are easily the best superhero movies , they put movies like Batman and Superman to shame. This third one though is my favorite of the three.

I think the action was pretty good too, but I thought the story was lazy. I mean what was it with Peter Parker dancing around like Jim Carrey from the Mask?

A Clockwork Orange (2 viewings)

Plot : Teenager Alex and his friends that he calls his "droogs" - go around killing and raping people : but it isn't a horrible crime to them - it's just a bit of fun.

Story : The first half of the movie is all about Alex and his friends - with scenes of them killing and raping people set to simple cheery music. Your also introduced to Alex's parents (he lives with them) and a little into his past. One day Alex hits one of his droogs in public to "teach him respect". So his other friends decide to betray him. That's where the second half begins - right as Alex escapes from a house where he killed a woman , his friends hit him on the head with a glass of milk : and that's where the story loses it's emotion. Alex is caught by the police and forced to watch violence and misery with his favorite composer Beethoven for the soundtrack. Somehow this manipulates his brain into not ever being able to commit acts of violence again. Once he is released out of jail after a embarrassing self controll test , people he atacked or hurt in the first half of the movie : have their revenge on him in a number of ways. The thing about the second half though - is it's huge lack of music : and focus on other characters. Unlike the first half and more like Kubrick's other films I've seen it's just boring and useless to the story.

Visuals and Action : The movie is visually brilliant as well in the first half and then super boring to look at the second half. So i guess the film does a good job at sucking us into how much life sucks for Alex after he gets arrested *the world he inhabits is no longer visually stunning* - but that dosen't matter because really it's just not a good enough excuse for the visuals to be bland. The first half on the other hand features crazy designed houses and very weird public places : like where they start off in a bar type of place , with naked women as tables and milk machines (not real women of course). Also , there are prashes and words printed all over the bar , none which i understand : but it still gives that visuall effect. The action scenes also are pretty intense as well : and most of the time played out with fun music - but one thing you gota hate , is the horribly fake looking green screen car scene.

Sypnosis : Amazing first half filled with though provoking material and characters that are very real and very full of life - followed by an emotional-less second half with boring visuals and no music.

The second half is boring and useless? Clearly, you misunderstood a film again...

The music is not supposed to be "fun." This is not a "fun" movie. It's about the freedom of man--the freedom of choice. Maybe rewatch that second half...and stop dancing around like a child at a Barney event to the film's music.

[quote=dvdsy;471747]The second half is boring and useless? Clearly, you misunderstood a film again...

[quote]

I agree with you dvdsy, meat was clearly having an off day with this review. After all, meat only found the second half boring and useless when, in fact, the whole film is boring and useless.

you misunderstood a film again...
I misunderstood it ? So you mean it's actually really entertaining ?

I must have really misunderstood the trailer for Meet the Spartans.

I misunderstood it ? So you mean it's actually really entertaining ?

I must have really misunderstood the trailer for Meet the Spartans.
You nailed it! Kubrick's ghost directed Meet the Spartans. You could tell from the long tracking shots and the theme of man's dehumanization...

The Godfather : Part 2 (2 viewings)

The sequel to one of the most widely respected films of all time concentrates more on it's characters and specific events - unlike the first which is a much broader approach to it's themes of family. It wants to put more focus a few characters and feels much smaller because of it.

Part 2 still looks as good as ever with it's brilliant lighting and detailed environments. The score continues to work with the scenes to give each part of the movie it's own emotion. Al Pacino gives the best performance of his entire career and completely embodies his character. On top of that you have several enormous scale scenes , which are all great in their own right.

It's clear the problem with this sequel isn't everything surrounding the story. The movie alternates between the story of Vito Corleone's rise to power and Micheal Corleone's troubles and failings in the present. The story has some powerful parts and uses it's characters wisely , but it just isn't on the same scale the original was. The main characters are strictly those of the Corleone family and excludes the many others that the original had running around. It's events don't tie other characters together as well as the first either - instead these events tend to only affect one person.

The final scene is my favorite part and reminds me of how much I missed seeing several characters unfold instead of one. The Godfather Part 2 remains a class film still. It deserves to be watched even if it may only remind you of how amazing the original was.

The Usual Suspects (2 views)

This crime thriller might be surprising and fun for the first time , but it's definitely not a fully realized story. On my second viewing pretty much everything in the movie was just leading up to the twist without doing anything else.

The Usual Suspects suffers from a bad cycle - the characters don't develop much , so the performances seem thin , so you don't care about the characters , so you don't care about what happens to them. Everything in the movie has a sub-par quality to it , the visuals are good at times and then garbage the next second.

Kevin Spacey is forced to carry the whole movie on his performance and as good as it is , it's not strong enough to redeem this movie's shallow script. Even if there is a lot to be desired from the sound editing and visuals it's the script that is to blame here. It's not a deep and well thought out puzzle or an emotionally active character study - instead it's a build up to a lame twist.

This small film does not deliver one fourth of what you would want with this cast. It's not one of the great crime movies - Suspects is small time.

You're a Genius all the time
I kind of agree with a lot of what you said, although I'd rate Suspects overall a bit higher and I have no idea what you're talking about with the sound editing/visuals or whatever. But, yeah, you hit on a lot of the same beefs I have with the movie. It definitely doesn't hold up well to repeat viewings and there is a sense that the whole point of the thing is to blind-side you at the last minute with the Keyser Soze business rather than telling the actual story. To be fair, though, there's still a lot to like. The movie does get way too much credit, but there are enough memorable moments and interesting little peripheral performances and whatnot that the flick isn't a total wash. I do like it; I just don't love it like so many other folks seem to.

"I'll flip ya. Flip ya for real."

The Usual Suspects is to the crime drama as The Shawshank Redemption is to the prison drama.

Both are decent but they aren't nearly as good as quite a few others before them. And they certainly aren't the stuff of legend that many make them out to be. Sadly, not enough folks go and look up the older stuff.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm going to have to disagree with you on Suspects.

The script is far from bad. You can claim you knew the ending before it happened, but you can't deny the fact that the second time you watched it you looked for clues. Which the script had many of and that's the genius of it. To this day, I still look for little subtle hints here and there and to me that defines how good a script is.

The editing itself is marvelous. Re-watch the scene with Palminteri looking at the board behind him again. Look at how well it's put together. This goes hand in hand with the script and direction. To make you think one thing is true, and have the audience think with 100% certainty that this is how it plays out, then all of a sudden pull the rug from underneath them and take a 360. Give it more credit.

Spacey is brilliant, I still feel sorry for his character even though I know the ending. It's all in his performance, but to say the film rests on his shoulders isn't fair to the rest of the cast. Sure he is a spotlight and if you don't buy him then the ending doesn't work for you, but everyone is a delight. Palminteri stands out to me, more then anyone else. (Other then Spacey of course)

Suspect's Reviews

I admit that I need to rewatch The Usual Suspects some time soon. I never read anything about the "twist" in advance, but I have to admit that five minutes into the film, I already knew "the twist". The voice of the killer is plain as day five minutes in, so how his identity could be a revelation is really beyond me. Remember, I knew nothing about the plot or the gimmick or anything. I just told my wife about five minutes in that I knew who that was talking and what the significance was. As far as Kevin Spacey goes, I thought he should have won his Oscar for SE7EN, but he wasn't even listed in the credits to that film.