Movie Tab II

Tools    

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
I agree with your thoughts on this completely, a lot of people in the theater were enjoying this movie, but me and Peter Vincent couldn't stop laughing Sean Penn's over the top performance.

"I like having one fork. You always make the right decision."
Damn right. It's hard to pick a favourite line.

"Los Angeles is my **ckin' destiny, you mother**cker" *tosses money at stunned man*

"Okay! Okay! HERE COMES SANTE' CLAUS!"

"Now my whole crop of c**t's ruined"

And then a line that almost made the whole movie because of what followed...

"Boys...you know the drill"*boys then proceed to kill the goon with an actual drill*

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Damn right. It's hard to pick a favourite line.

"Los Angeles is my **ckin' destiny, you mother**cker" *tosses money at stunned man*

"Okay! Okay! HERE COMES SANTE' CLAUS!"

"Now my whole crop of c**t's ruined"

and of course the line that didn't actually come from Sean Penn's mouth...but Josh Brolin's. A line that almost made the whole movie because of what followed...

"Boys...you know the drill"*boys then proceed to kill the goon with an actual drill*
Huh?? Every line you just quotes WAS from Sean Penn, not Brolin.

Suspect's Reviews

Straw Dogs (Rod Lurie, 2011)

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg, 2000)
I disliked the Straw Dogs remake for the fact that Bosworth (who seems miscast in everything) invited what happens to her more so than what happens in the original. I'm not condoning rape in any way, but her inviting flash really disconnected me from her as a character.

As for A.I......it has to be one of my least favourite Spielberg films to date. Yuck. Remind me....how many endings does it have?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I thought resetting the Straw Dogs in the Deep South was its major phoblem, but the story is still compelling. A.I. is deep and complex and well worth a revisit.

I think we saw different movies there Mark, cause I found A.I. to be nothing more than a hollow piece of glorified science fiction. I would have loved to have seen Kubrick do it, but was stuck with the sentimental Spielberg instead.

Seven Psychopaths (McDonagh, 2012)

Immensely fun.
Silver Linings Playbook (O. Russell, 2012)

Was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. The third act kind of falls into the same old generic rom-com tropes that we're all well aware of at this point. But that didn't take away any of my enjoyment of it. Excellent performances all round, also.
Jackie Brown (Tarantino, 1997)

One of Tarantino's best.

I have 19 movies to update you folks on, I guess I'll do the old fashioned Linesplay ranking system, ranking them from best to worse. The Roeg and Malle films I've watched are reviewed in the Self Challenge thread I'm doing. If anyone like more details on one of my movie opinions (some of them are against the current) just let me know. Also for some of these films my art house rating highly outweighs my regular rating, just so you guys know I respect some of these more than I like them.

Crackers (Malle)
Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski)

In The Mood for Love (Kar-Wai)

Viva Maria! (Malle)
Eureka (Roeg)

Bad Timing (Roeg)
Omnibus (1992)
Elevator to The Gallows (Malle)
The Man Who Fell From Earth (Roeg)

Blue Valentine (Cianfrance)

Bully (2001, Clark)
Superbad (Mottola)
Clerks (K. Smith)
Lost In Translation (Coppola)

Collapse (C. Smith)

Django Unchained (Tarantino)
(Rewatch) Tucker & Dale vs Evil (E. Craig)
Detachment (Kaye)
The Usual Suspects (Singer)

If you missed it I also reviewed The Long Goodbye on the previous page which I loved and is now in my top ten.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Scalene

I watched this film on Amazon Prime, a disturbing drama, non-linear story slowly revealed. I suppose it takes its name as a sort of hint with the mathematical meaning of Scalene.

Spoiler!

As far as the motivations, the mother's is fairly understandable, a lost patience grueling long term burden and love; Also an ego driven edumacated caregiver whose ill thought out plan makes everything worse, I think she understands her folly in the end. Change it from 2.5 to 3 stars. Fair critique on some problems of the social service, though the problem is far more with an idealistic naïve all knowing youth.

3/5
Great performances by Margo Martindale and Adam Scarimbolo, though.

Alpha Dog
- Weak script, didn't really care for the characters except Anton Yelchin's character.

How do I use the popcorn ratings?

popcorn ratings = [*rating]rating value (only the following are valid: 0, 0.5, 1, ... , 4, 4.5, 5)[/rating]

(take out the '*' to get it to work).

Django Unchained
(2012, Tarantino)

Definitely going to write a full review of this soon, been meaning to do so since I've seen it. My favourite of last year, whilst it has its flaws, this film is as fun as it gets in terms of Tarantino, with all his usual enjoyable style on display, then there's also the serious and brutal slavery side and love story mixed in with it as well, with top performances from Waltz, Foxx, DiCaprio and Jackson.

Rating:

Flight (2012, Zemeckis)

Whilst I appreciate a lot of the elements involved in the film, I didn't really enjoy it as much as I would of hope. In parts the direction is great, I like the pace/feel of most of the film and some scenes are very good such as the air crash. Washington is great in the main role and is deserving of his Oscar nomination, the problem I had was that I really hated his character and I really couldn't tell whether the film wanted us to cheer him on or hate him, and then with all the moral questions the ending seemed a bit easy to me.

Rating:

Sydney / Hard Eight (1996, P. T. Anderson)

When I noticed that Paul Thomas Anderson's first ever film was showing on TV, I had to watch it, as a massive fan of both films I had previously seen of his - Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. For a first feature film, this is as solid as they come, very well directed and acted. Philip Baker Hall is great in his father style role and the supporting performances are good enough too. The story seemed less engrossing that the aforementioned films, but a good little crime story nonetheless.

Rating:

Project X (2012, Nourizadeh)

Whilst in terms of artistic film making, this film is far from good, but it doesn't intend or pretend to be. A fun film that targets teenagers, Project X is a decent enough film that makes for enjoyable viewing.

Rating:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, rewatch (2001-2003, Jackson)

Purchased the trilogy on blu-ray after recently watching The Hobbit in cinema. I had seen them before of course, but it had been too long and could barely remember specific details. What a joy it was to watch them again, three equally beautiful and fantastic films, you can't help but admire the fantasy world of middle earth, epic films in every sense.

Rating:

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012, Zeitlin)

After the recent Oscar nominations I want to check what all the fuss was about. This is a film that when you watch you can clearly see both its strengths and its flaws. I personally don't think it's Oscar worthy over some of the films that missed out, whilst it attempts to be cute and tell a lovely story about love set in a world of despair, this all seemed a bit too cliché to me and it tried to rely on the innocence of the main character, Hush Puppy, in order to make us like the film. I did enjoy it, it's ambitious and pretty well made, the hand held camera didn't bother me at all, a decent enough film but nothing special.

Rating:

Argo (2012, Affleck)

Another 2012 Oscar nominated film, I was looking forward to watching another Affleck film as I enjoyed The Town and he comes across as a sensible and capable director. This film was very enjoyable and well made, it had strong performances and had a good mixture of scenes that came together well. Similar to The Town, I thought the whole story came together perhaps too neatly, and suffers from that fact that we pretty much know what's going to happen, a very good and enjoyable film though.

Rating:

I say someone should turn Movie Tab II into the ultimate movie guide book. I bet it could knock Roger Ebert off the charts.

I say someone should turn Movie Tab II into the ultimate movie guide book. I bet it could knock Roger Ebert off the charts.
Haha, that's a genius idea: The Movie Forums Ultimate Guide to Movies Seriously though, if we could somehow compile a database of all members thoughts and ratings that they've awarded to various different movies it would be really interesting to see how opinions/tastes differ and that.

Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski)

In The Mood for Love (Kar-Wai)

Elevator to The Gallows (Malle)
What's wrong with 'em?

You gotta feckin rate In The Mood for Love at least
just for the cinematography.

What's wrong with 'em?

You gotta feckin rate In The Mood for Love at least
just for the cinematography.
Elevator to The Gallows I kind of want to rate higher, but it just felt all too coincidental and unreal for me. Like a bullet through the head just leaving a tiny hole. It did have some beautiful scenes but it just didn't seem like a real story. In The Mood for Love I found incredibly boring, it took me three days of watching to complete it. The story wasn't really anything special, and I don't remember a thing about it. Arthouse wise I gave it 1.5, it did have a good score. Double Life, I just can't explain how unconnected I was. I never felt so irritated just watching a movie.

Double Life, I just can't explain how unconnected I was. I never felt so irritated just watching a movie.
You connected with Eraserhead?

And honestly, I don't get this "I was bored"-bullsh!t. It's people's go to excuse whenever they're asked to explain in detail what they didn't like about a film.

I can understand people who argue that a film contains too many 'useless' scenes, i.e. scenes that don't advance the plot and/or character development. I can understand when people say that a scene or multiple scenes felt very drawn out, and as a result, the film suffers from pacing issues. In both these cases, you can actually pinpoint and explain the sequences you took issue with.

However, this 'boredom'-bullsh!t makes me cringe.

You connected with Eraserhead?
Yes, I was always involved, intrigued, curious, thrilled, scared, looking forward to what's next, I was very connected.

And honestly, I don't get this "I was bored"-bullsh!t. It's people's go to excuse whenever they're asked to explain in detail what they didn't like about a film.

I can understand people who argue that a film contains too many 'useless' scenes, i.e. scenes that don't advance the plot and/or character development. I can understand when people say that a scene or multiple scenes felt very drawn out, and as a result, the film suffers from pacing issues. In both these cases, you can actually pinpoint and explain the sequences you took issue with.

However, this 'boredom'-bullsh!t makes me cringe.
Entertainment value is part of a film too, even if it's not fast paced, entertainment is part of it. When I Rate arthouse wise I don't include entertainment, but this time around I was giving only my personal ratings, and personally I felt bored. The tie and purse scene was the only one that had me slightly involved. And I mean only. The reason I was bored is I didn't feel with the characters, there were useless scenes like saying how nice Mrs. Cho (I think that's what the young one was called) nice in every discussion. The story wasn't intresting, and it's not all about story, but the design just wasn't enough to compensate for the uninteresting plot.