The 2010 Major League Baseball Thread

Tools    

Well, I know baseball expert types generally like these kinds of deals because they involve "veterans" who "know how to win" or some other such nebulous thing. But in terms of actual baseball performance, I'm not sure what's really there. Berkman's been positively mediocre for a 1st basemen; his OBP is fine, but his slugging is way, way down. It's the lowest since his first year in the bigs, and over 100 points lower than his career average. And he's 34, so I'm thinking this isn't an aberration. He has some value because he'll probably be better in limited/DH duty than some of the other guys they might have trotted out there, though.

Kerry Wood, on the other hand, has an ERA of 6.30. He's just a name.

They might not have given up much (I'm not really sure), but I know they didn't get much, except to analysts who think "leadership" and "playing the game the right way" somehow means more than hitting or pitching.

True. I believe they were just looking for more suitable backups. And those fill-in-guys can become a pretty valuable resource over the course of a season. Im not a Yankee-hater, but I wouldnt mind if they sat out this time around. Id like to see a couple of mid to low budget clubs make it.

You got any particular matchup you'd like to see in the World Series (Yoda)?

I actua laughed when I read Scott Pianowski's blog today.

"The Mariners couldn't score in a women's prison with a fistful of pardons."

I had to laugh. A conspiracy in sports where Tampa isnt taking the shaft...

Tue, Sep 27Jeter will sit against Tampa Bay on Tuesday, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports.
Recommendation: One viewpoint says Jeter is just resting for the playoffs. Another says there is a vast conspiracy by the Yankees to hand the AL Wild Card race to the Rays. Which side are you on?
(Rotowire.com)

Here's to a St Louis vs Tampa Bay World Series!

Possibly the greatest last day of the regular season in the history of Major League Baseball.