Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

74% from 138 reviews is a pretty well received film. I didn't and still don't expect it to be anything that good but i knew that people saying it would bomb, it will be remembered as one of the worst films of all time, etc, were overreacting.

I imagine its success so far seriously angers some people

My main argument with the remake, is that the original had a script, but the cast mostly ad-libbed their way through the movie.

I watched it the other day with the commentary on, and a huge example is Rick Moranis and his party.
He ad-libbed the whole thing. One take, entirely ad-libbed.

Bill Murray ad-libbed most of his dialogue apart from one or two scenes that required him to keep to the script.

I doubt the new one has such sort of genius. The cast involved aren't exactly funny, the writers aren't funny, and the director has proven several times that he doesn't know comedy.

Also you conveniently left out the fact that its score on IMDB has risen from 3.6 to 4.1. Probably the result of i don't know people voting after actually watching the movie.

I've yet to read a good review.

Horrifying mess, a shadow of the original, a movie needs life before it can have ghosts... and Roeper said it's a horror movie, but the word "horror" doesn't mean scary.

3.6 out of 10 on IMDb.
Your post pointing out it was at 3.6/10.

I'm not denying the good reviews though. Sure, there's been decent reviews for it.

I can't help but have the mindset when I see and read them, that the reviewer is thinking "I'm going to give this movie a good review, to be different."
Like they're making a point to be different.

Maybe that's just the way I think though.

Still not going to spend any money on this movie. If anyone I know actually buys the DVD at some point... and knowing my friends they won't... but if someone does, I might borrow it.
Put it this way, I'm so against this remake, that I would, given the chance, watch it illegally... and you guys know my hatred toward illegal downloads.
So yes, that is how much I hate the idea of remaking Ghostbusters. So much so I would break my own moral code, just to avoid giving them any money.

The other major thing I hate about this movie, is that when people spoke out about it, they were branded misogynists and racists.
Again, I don't deny there were some idiots doing that, but the rest of the people who were against it, were branded those things, even though they said nothing on those lines.
I played with that for a while to get reactions out of people, because that's my sense of humour... but the sad thing is that people posting their videos on YouTube have had to take to saying "Before I start, this has nothing to do with them being women, or being black" before they give their thoughts.

It's a sad sad world when people say they hate the idea of a beloved movie from their childhood being remade... and they get branded as both sexist and racist.
And the director of said movie, and even the cast of said movie, then take to Twitter to call those people sexist and racist and give interviews belittling the fans... and they then go as far as rewriting the script to include dialogue that has a pop at the fans of the original.

I do actually agree with most of that. My main problem other than the sexism by some, certainly not all, those are valid reasons to have a problem without it being about gender i accept that. Is people desperately wanting this to fail, and not giving it a chance. I mean i just can't understand fans of Ghostbusters wanting this to be anything other than a good film unless it is actually about gender for them. I think certain people have backed themselves into a corner with all the hate they've shown it before it was even out, that they wouldn't actually allow themselves to enjoy the film.

I understand that point of view, Camo... but I'm one of those people who want it to fail.

Here's why:
My recent postings about how the original was a genius piece of comedy writing. The cast were all concerned with giving the funny lines to each other rather than keeping them to themselves. They even said in the commentary that they were all concentrating on making the other guy look good... the comedy works simply because they were all trying to make each other funnier.
90% of the film was ad-libbed, yet ad-libbed within the boundaries of the plot, because the cast were geniuses.

This Ghostbusters remake, is a remake of sodding Ghostbusters. And to make things worse, it has a talentless cast, talentless writers, and a talentless director behind it who all then insulted the fans when they said they were against it.

To some it up... the movie as a whole, is an insult to the original and to the fans.

Here's how to sum up the people who want the movie to fail...

Camo, your #1 is Taxi Driver.

Imagine a remake... with Brendan Fraser and Kristen Stewart, directed by Paul WS Anderson.

Still not going to spend any money on this movie. If anyone I know actually buys the DVD at some point... and knowing my friends they won't... but if someone does, I might borrow it.
Mmmmhmmm. You better borrow their lotion, too.

Can't believe you'd waste two hours you could be watching Young Guns to watch this Ghostbusters reboot.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lotion.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	26268  

My main argument with the remake, is that the original had a script, but the cast mostly ad-libbed their way through the movie.

I doubt the new one has such sort of genius.
I'm not trying to knock the original Ghostbusters or say the reboot is probably better than it, but.... because people ad-libbed their way through the movie, that's gotta be genius?

I haven't seen this reboot yet -- I kinda want to just to see how it is -- but my suspicion is that it's not all that great. I could be wrong, of course. I suspect all the great reviews it's getting are mostly a bunch of lies. This film has had such a notorious UNwelcome wagon given to it leading up to its release... with much of it being claimed to be coming from "sexist" men.... that I think people are probably looking to go, "HA HA HA! It's actually a GREAT movie!" just to spite all of that bad press and act like they're hip for actually loving the thing. I do suspect that. But I'll have to see the movie for myself to confirm if I'm right.

74% from 138 reviews is a pretty well received film. I didn't and still don't expect it to be anything that good but i knew that people saying it would bomb, it will be remembered as one of the worst films of all time, etc, were overreacting.

I imagine its success so far seriously angers some people
It seems to have done. Many of the sexists are posting angry reactions online, claiming the critics have all been paid by Sony to give a positive review.

I watched it the other day with the commentary on, and a huge example is Rick Moranis and his party.
He ad-libbed the whole thing. One take, entirely ad-libbed.

Bill Murray ad-libbed most of his dialogue apart from one or two scenes that required him to keep to the script.

I doubt the new one has such sort of genius. The cast involved aren't exactly funny, the writers aren't funny, and the director has proven several times that he doesn't know comedy.
Actually, the cast of the new film did improvise some of the lines. I mentioned one example in my review - 'Rowan, pick up your virginity from the lost and found' - and they are very funny with it throughout.

and they then go as far as rewriting the script to include dialogue that has a pop at the fans of the original.
It doesn't do anything of the sort. It comments on the sexists who posted cruel remarks on YouTube and it is literally dealt with in two lines, one of which is just 'You shouldn't be reading that stuff'.

^ Indeed, they don't take a pop at the 'fans of the original film' - just the idiots who are getting so angry and vile over a fictional film, and that's very different(and it's mostly at youtube comments). Some nice things in the film that nod to the original, including the cameos. I had a big smile on my face when the cameos appeared, especially the very last one.

China has a strict censorship on movies that have ghosts in them, and if they have the word "Ghost" in the title. Also, after the last big budget Hollywood, Force Awakens, didn't do well over there, the Chinese Government have basically banned Ghostbusters.
The previous Ghostbusters films were in a similar situation in China - apparently the first two films didn't get a lot of interest over there from audiences either and it's the same with the new one.

^ Weaver's cameo is
WARNING: "Ghostbusters" spoilers below
right at the end and she plays Holtzman's old science mentor
and Annie Potts does indeed have a cameo.