Best Year For Movies?

Tools    

How famous is Un Homme et Une Femme in France? I really like the film (and included it on my 60's list) but I seem to be one of only a few that ever mentions it.

Also, leaving that off your list when you include crap like The Good, The Bad And The Ugly or Blow Up is just terrible.

Of all the film mark put forward (and there's some damn good ones there, too) I'd like to second Goodbye, Mr. Chips the most. I love that film and it'll definitely make my 30's list, whether it's combined with another decade or not.

Master of My Domain
1967 is probably the best year for me:

- Bonnie and Clyde
- Playtime
- Belle De Jour
- The Graduate
- Weekend

4 of these would make my top 100 if I made one now.

One particular year that I found was pretty good was 1981.

1981 films include Raiders of the Lost Ark, An American Werewolf in London, Escape from New York, The Evil Dead, and The Road Warrior. All very fun and excellent movies.

There's also some pretty acclaimed movies from that year that I still need to get around to watching such as Das Boot (own it but haven't watched yet) Chariots of Fire, Stripes, Time Bandits, The Howling etc.

For American Cinema, as far as I'm concerned, you really can't beat New Hollywood.
The 70s are absolutely stacked with classics. Here's an overview that I made on Letterboxd.

My favorite in the past decade was probably 2007. Again, chiefly American Cinema.

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Eastern Promises
Trick r' Treat
We Own The Night

1998 lethal weapon 4

2000 is my favorite
1- Memento
2- Unbreakable
3- Cast Away
4- Snatch
5- Almost Famous
6- Requiem For A Dream
7- Amores Perros
8- O Brother, Where Art Thou?
9- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
10- American Psycho

I go with 1976. I wonder if some of the movies were planned for the bi-centennial?

1. Network
2. Taxi Driver
3. Next Stop, Greenwich Village
4. The Outlaw Josey Wales
5. Rocky (Shouldn't have won Best Picture)
6. All The President's Men
7. The Bad News Bears
8. Bound For Glory
9. The Enforcer
10. Carrie
11. Marathon Man
Totally agree regarding 1976...awesome year for film...some other standout years for me: 1939, 1951, 1959, 1972. 1980, 1982