Genre Question.

Tools    

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Ok, While wandering around this forum I've seen the question "What's your favourite Genre?" pop up in Grills and such.

Its got me thinking about whats my favourite.
So I started thinking about the types of movies I like to watch the most and thats where I got stuck. I'm not sure what genre the movies I like to watch are in.

So heres my questions.
What genre would you put the following movies in?
Could you put them under one genre?
Am I being silly in thinking that these movies seem more to me than just movies about girl and boy getting together?

Juno (2007)
Garden State (2004)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
Eagle vs Shark (2007)

Sofia Coppola movies seem like a genre in themselves:

Lost in Translation (2003)
The Virgin Suicides (1999)
Marie Antoinette (2006)

As do Wes Anderson movies:

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Ok any theories and thoughts are most welcome. Especially nice ones.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Napoleon Dynamite and Eagle VS Shark are two very similar movies, yet I love one and hate the other. Can you guess which ones?

I think style can bleed it's way into a genre (Coppola and Anderson) but I have much more respect for a director who can work in more then one/two genres. Scorsese has done dozens of different genres. I want to see Wes Anderson do something out of his own comfort for once. His films are good and quirky, but I want something new from him. His films can be refreshing, but not when you pair them up to his own work.

My favourite genre is horror, just for the record.

Suspect's Reviews

Napoleon I didn't like, and the other I haven't seen. I'm not sure if that's unfortunate or not. But if they are a lot alike, why would you like either, if you don't like one of them?

Juno (2007)
Garden State (2004)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
Eagle vs Shark (2007)

Teen ( or young folk) angst

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The style of the films are both the same, and they both deal with awkward people. I found Eagle VS Shark to be the better (and funnier) film.

Napoleon 5/10
Eagle vs Shark 7.5/10

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Maybe thats it. Maybe I like Angsty films *laugh*.
Though 80's teen films are my favourite.

Welcome to the human race...
I would think all of those films fall under a relatively loose definition of "arthouse".