What do you think of World Trade Center (2006)?

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I saw it back when it came out and watched it again today. I feel that a lot of the first half hour is very good overall. But it slowly kind of goes downhill from there. I feel that it's possibly Nicolas Cage's best performance, or he was very good in it.

The scenes with his family arguing about whether or not he was still alive, felt a little too soap opera-ish though I found. And the scenes with the Michael Shannon character just felt off, like he was an unnecessary character that didn't add anything to the narrative, even if he is based on a real person that was there. Perhaps they could have written that part differently? Especially when he has lines like "It's like God made a curtain with the smoke, shielding us from what we're not yet ready to see", as he looks at the wreckage.

I also felt that some of the CGI did not look as good and looked like obvious CGI. It was mostly in a few shots where the camera moves through the wreckage in a way, that a camera could not possibly move, which made the CGI less convincing. But in other shots, where the camera was moving more normally, the CGI was convincing.

So overall the movie is a mixed bag, but ultimately just feels off. Perhaps it's because the story in it, just feels like such a small sub-story in a big event, of all of 9/11.

But maybe it's a double standard for me to think of it like that, since I like other movies like Schindler's List, which you could argue is a smaller story, in such a big event?

What do you think?

It's been awhile since I've seen this movie, but I think your assessment is on the money...something was off...this was a movie that should have moved me deeply but it didn't.

More or less agree. I saw it in theaters back in the day and remember thinking the whole first act was pretty tense, with all the confusion about what's going on; specifically the moment when the towers collapse, I thought was chilling. However, other than that, I don't think it was that memorable. Don't remember a lot afterwards.

I found United 93 to be a much more powerful film, though I can understand why it was criticised for taking liberty with what could have happened inside the plane.