New Line Reboots A Nightmare on Elm Street....Again

Tools    

Just five years after the ill received 2010 Jackie Earle Haley version of A Nightmare On Elm Street , the people over at New Line Cinema are planning another take on the franchise.

Here's all the information Tracking Board has about the new version which is currently being scripted:

Plot details are kept under lock and key, though fans can safely assume that the red-and-green sweater/fedora wearing Freddy Krueger will once again be up to his old tricks, ready to terrorize a new group of sleep-deprived youngsters. There’s no producer on board yet, but Orphan scribe David Leslie Johnson has been tapped to script. Toby Emmerich, Walter Hamada, and Dave Neustadter will oversee for New Line.
Source: FirstShowing via Tracking Board

Why? Why not just make a sequel to the earlier reboot.

It's not like anyone watched the Nightmare on Elm Street, or Friday the 13th sequels because they were "good" - they just wanted to see some gory action.

First Kindergarden Cop and now this? I think this does show that Hollywood is running out of ideas.

Why? Why not just make a sequel to the earlier reboot.
Thank God they're not.

HOWEVER, I'm expecting the new reboot to suck, too. I HOPE IT DOESN'T, but I'm expecting it. I would love a really good Nightmare on Elm Street movie again... but it's not the '80s anymore and horror sucks now.

Thank God they're not.

HOWEVER, I'm expecting the new reboot to suck, too. I HOPE IT DOESN'T, but I'm expecting it. I would love a really good Nightmare on Elm Street movie again... but it's not the '80s anymore and horror sucks now.
I think a crappy sequel of a crappy film would be better than a crappy reboot of a crappy reboot.

I think a crappy sequel of a crappy film would be better than a crappy reboot of a crappy reboot.
No, because there is the possibility that the new reboot could fix all of the problems of the original reboot. I loathe the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I don't even own the damn thing, and that's serious business coming from me.

The fact that you liked the remake...

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_lzck20M1221r6ycrio1_500.gif
Views:	776
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	22361  

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
If you want good horror these days, look to Indie directors, or look at foreign horror. Hollywood hasn't produced a half-decent horror in years.

The reboot wasn't that really horrible. Robert Englund gave the character humor and liveliness but Haley gave the character horror elements that it didn't have before. The original series is a classic sure, but the first reboot just stands on its own as an original.

I'm not personally fond of another reboot to this as of yet, but I'm just gonna at least wait for some footage.

The reboot wasn't that really horrible. Robert Englund gave the character humor and liveliness but Haley gave the character horror elements that it didn't have before. The original series is a classic sure, but the first reboot just stands on its own as an original.

I'm not personally fond of another reboot to this as of yet, but I'm just gonna at least wait for some footage.
I liked the one-liners - the film didn't scare me one bit though.

If you want good horror these days, look to Indie directors, or look at foreign horror. Hollywood hasn't produced a half-decent horror in years.

I liked the one-liners - the film didn't scare me one bit though.
One liners were ok. Though, horror tactics aren't always supposed to make you jump and hide. There's also the psychological edge on the factor.

One liners were ok. Though, horror tactics aren't always supposed to make you jump and hide. There's also the psychological edge on the factor.
IMO the remake didn't do the psychological aspect - it relied too much just on in-your-face shots of gore and dead bodies. That's why it didn't do it for me. (And it was only slightly better than that Friday the 13th remake which Michael Bay worked on, lol)

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm not wrong though all those Bay remakes were pretty terrible whilst The Soska Sisters, Adam Wingard as well as France, Belgium and Asia keep on making good horror films?

Wow, now we've got reboots of reboots! Is that considered meta? Or just redundant?
Not until we have reboots of reboots of remakes of prequels of sequels of remakes of reboots (say that 5 times fast)

F4 was gash and so was the reboot, Elm Street 2010 remake was gash, the main percentage of movie goers saying they hate remakes of decent films anyway... every major production over the next 5 years is a remake, reboot, rereboot or sequel... and now this rereboot and a Jumanji remake recently announced.

I thought major studios would be learning by now. But nope, they haven't.

People aren't going to see these movies. It seems Hollywood is setting up its own demise, they're on a suicide run and ain't taking their foot off the pedal for anything.

Pretty soon every movie ever made will be remade, rebooted, re-imagined and re sequelized into a remake of a reboot that's re-imagined to look like a remade reboot of a re-imagined remade re-booted sequel of a movie.

Like I said in the other thread, I don't get why the franchise distinction matters. You could call it Elm Street 9 or you could call it the first movie in the 3rd Elm Street series. The actual movie wouldn't change one way or another. All of the dead teenager movies have a ridiculous number of sequels, and there's honestly no reason why that still can't happen. It's not the type of movie where you need to see the first 3 in the series to understand the 4th. I'm in favor of another Elm Street film being made in general. It's one of my favorite series, so hopefully they can put another entry worth watching in there. There hasn't been a good one in 20 years, but if you can make another classic then that's great news. If it sucks, whatever. My DVDs of the original and New Nightmare still work fine.

Like I said in the other thread, I don't get why the franchise distinction matters. You could call it Elm Street 9 or you could call it the first movie in the 3rd Elm Street series. The actual movie wouldn't change one way or another.
It actually will since most likely it'll be another origin story.

Would you have watched the Dark Knight trilogy if each film had just been a reboot with an alternate Batman origin story rather than the next part in the series?

Would you have watch 9 different versions of the exact same plot of the original Nightmare on Elm Street, just with a slightly different cast?