ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

'Evil Genius'

Netflix 4 parter produced by the Duplass brothers. Very intriguing.

Absolutely nuts, but great tv. The synopsis:

'This baffling true crime story starts with the tale of a pizza man who robs a bank with a bomb around his neck -- and gets weirder from there.'

'Katalin Varga' (2009)

I enjoyed Peter Strickland's 'Berberian Sound Studio' from 2012, and this film made by him 3 years earlier is just as good, if not better. It has a strange tone - almost like a 1970s Agnes Varda film, but it's set in Romania in present day. It's extremely erie in places and very beautifully shot in the Carpathian mountains about a woman with nothing left to lose out for vengeance. It also features a superb (but disturbing) monologue midway through the film from lead actress Hilda Peter.

Unregistered User
'Evil Genius'

Netflix 4 parter produced by the Duplass brothers. Very intriguing.

Absolutely nuts, but great tv. The synopsis:

'This baffling true crime story starts with the tale of a pizza man who robs a bank with a bomb around his neck -- and gets weirder from there.'

Same as Wild Wild Country, you always get to these before I do! Glad you enjoyed it, I'll be starting it soon.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I absolutely, totally agree. Fatih Akin is genius. I haven't seen all his movies, but of all I watched, this my fav one. As you said, devastating. I remember the evening when I watched it. I couldn't fall asleep. I was thinking about particular scenes or pictures over and over again.

I absolutely, totally agree. Fatih Akin is genius. I haven't seen all his movies, but of all I watched, this my fav one. As you said, devastating. I remember the evening when I watched it. I couldn't fall asleep. I was thinking about particular scenes or pictures over and over again.
Yup, I need to delve into his filmography. 'The Edge of Heaven' looks good.

'Upstream Color' (2013)

Baffling. Extraordinary. Pigs. Barely any dialogue. Beautiful looking. Directed by Shane Carruth (Primer), It's very challenging - so much so that I'm not even sure repeat viewings will shed any more light on it. It's definitely one for cinema purists who like to watch cerebral movies. In that respect it's more of an experience than a movie aligned with Terence Malick and Darren Aronofsky material. What's it about? The cycle of life? genetics? religion? morality? ethics? Probably all these things. What's clear is that Shane Carruth operates on a level that is different to most of us!

'Tigerland' (2000)

Despite some questionable dialogue, this is a pretty good movie. Joel Schumacher gets the best out of Colin Farrell. There's not much war action, instead it focuses on the mental side of preparation and training. I don't think I've ever seen it listed in any top war movies lists but it perhaps deserves a mention.

7/10

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Yup, I need to delve into his filmography. 'The Edge of Heaven' looks good.
I've seen 'The Edge...', but it didn't make such an impression on me. Now it would be harder for you, coz You've started from the best movie of Akin IMO or we can have different tasts. We will see

'The Sword of Doom' (1966)

This is an epic film. Everything from the sound editing to the acting, the fight scenes and the way it looks is mesmerizing. There's a scene at the beginnign where the grinding of the water mill sounds like the beating of a woman's heart just before she is brutally attacked, which is followed up by a more suggestive motion of the mill's inner workings. Metaphors like that help create the tension which is cranked up throughout. I couldn't help thinking while watching it, that this movie must have been a massive influence to modern day film-makers like Quentin Tarantino.

The most noticeable thing though is the lighting. It's used to great effect in most scenes to project shadows and silhouettes.

If I had to criticise it, I would say the ending is slightly abrupt, but that's being a bit harsh. Overall it's a highly stylish, brutal tale of a samurai on the path to self destruction

'120 Beats per Minute' (2018)

Tragic account of the early 90s AIDS epidemic, and the actions of a group of activists in Paris. It's a very dialogue heavy fim but also intertwines a tender love story. Nahuel Pérez Biscayart is absolutely astounding as 'Sean'. And the acting is so hugely impressive across the board, it almost feels like the viewer is attending the activists weekly meetings at times. 8.5/10

'Embrace of the Serpent' (2015)

Phenomenal account of two explorers, 30 years apart, trying to find a mysterious healing plant in the Amazon jungle. We follow their journeys and see how the amazon is set to be torn apart by 'whites'. The shamen that is the last of his tribe leads both expeditions and teaches the explorers what it is to dream, be alive and at one with nature.

There is one unforgettable moment when the expedition party encounters a rubber plant extractor.

David Gallego's photography and the sound editing is just incredible. It's a unique spiritual experience. A remarkable film.

'The Devil's Candy' (2017)

Although this is a largely predictable horror film, it does have some good moments and looks very nice. It reminded me why horror is a genre I don't delve too deeply into, it is nothing new or interesting. Having said that, I'm convinced Sean Byrne has a really good film up his sleeve. 5.5/10

'Lean on Pete' (2017)

Well this was a surprise. Once in a while a film grabs you by the emotions and even if you think you're being drawn in to some sentimental tearjerker, you can't help but be transfixed by it and sucked into the whirlpool. This film got me right in the feels. It follows young Charley who's about to lose alot. There are very good turns from Charlie Plumer as the lead and Steve Buscemi as the grumpy horse trainer. The film doesn't wallow in it's own sentimentality but rather toughens you up for the final act. Which makes it more devastating. It's perfectly paced and at times looks and feels like a gritty modern western.

movies can be okay...
I really liked Lean On Pete as well. It looks great, the story is engaging, especially as it goes to unexpected places during the latter half.

I didn't really enjoy The Devil's Candy, it was overall pretty mehhh...

I'm glad you liked Embrace of the Serpent and Upstream Colour, they're one of my favourites, which reminds me, I should definitely revisit them pretty soon.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

'Phantom Thread' (2017)

Well said and I TOTALLY agree regarding Lesley Manville...was hoping the Academy would have the guts to not make the expected Allison Janney choice and go with the real Best Supporting Actress.

Well said and I TOTALLY agree regarding Lesley Manville...was hoping the Academy would have the guts to not make the expected Allison Janney choice and go with the real Best Supporting Actress.
Yeah she was totally great. stone cold. I'm not really fussed about the oscars and what choice they made here. That performance will get Manville (and Krieps) a whole load of good work on the back of it. Good film.

Unregistered User
'The Sword of Doom' (1966)

This is an epic film. Everything from the sound editing to the acting, the fight scenes and the way it looks is mesmerizing. There's a scene at the beginnign where the grinding of the water mill sounds like the beating of a woman's heart just before she is brutally attacked, which is followed up by a more suggestive motion of the mill's inner workings. Metaphors like that help create the tension which is cranked up throughout. I couldn't help thinking while watching it, that this movie must have been a massive influence to modern day film-makers like Quentin Tarantino.

The most noticeable thing though is the lighting. It's used to great effect in most scenes to project shadows and silhouettes.

If I had to criticise it, I would say the ending is slightly abrupt, but that's being a bit harsh. Overall it's a highly stylish, brutal tale of a samurai on the path to self destruction

So glad you enjoyed, not that I thought it would be any different. Only watched this last week and it would be an easy top 20 film for me.

Unregistered User
'Embrace of the Serpent' (2015)

Phenomenal account of two explorers, 30 years apart, trying to find a mysterious healing plant in the Amazon jungle. We follow their journeys and see how the amazon is set to be torn apart by 'whites'. The shamen that is the last of his tribe leads both expeditions and teaches the explorers what it is to dream, be alive and at one with nature.

There is one unforgettable moment when the expedition party encounters a rubber plant extractor.

David Gallego's photography and the sound editing is just incredible. It's a unique spiritual experience. A remarkable film.

This too! I gave it same rating. Phenomenal.

This too! I gave it same rating. Phenomenal.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to 'Birds of Passage' that's going to be released this year. It's Directed by the same guy, with the same cinematographer and also co-directed by the cinematographers wife I think.