Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Danger On The Air (Otis Garrett, 1938)

Worthwhile for some of the humour

Rolling Thunder (1977)

Such a tough and gritty Peckinpah-esque revenge thriller. Loved it.

+
On my list....has all the credentials of a film I'd love.

The Omega Man -

can you imagine if someone tried doing this movie as a CGI-filled blockbuster
Wasn't "I am legend" this???

A Quiet Place (2018)

Good story and wonderfully shot tale. Story with a heart that suffers a bit from the "Jaws" complex in that once the baddies are seen and tangeable they become less frightening. Still, all performances were excellent and it was an engaging story. Enjoyed this 7/10

The big short (2015)

A movie about certain characters that predicted the global financial crisis of 2007. Starts as mildly interesting builds into entertaining and humourous...then transforms into informative. Clearly it’s a movie and entertainment is the priority with fourth wall breaking interludes. However, it just shows you what a film can be. Informative yet entertaining. Well worth watching.

4/5
Felt the exact same as you. Didn't think I'd like it as a bit too smartypants but it was very well executed.

I thought this could be my favorite western. And it is. Chiefly because of the actors. I thought Ernest was a problem, but he made up for it in the last scene. He even made the movie.

Give 'em hell, Pike!

Dutch ain't no shrinking violet.

Welcome to the human race...
Wasn't "I am legend" this???
That's the joke.

Point Blank -

probably not going to win any technical awards for that one shot of a guy falling off a building

That's the joke.

Point Blank -

probably not going to win any technical awards for that one shot of a guy falling off a building
Sunday, geez a chance!!!

On Point Blank, if only someone would remake that with an Asian S&M prossie in it.

Too Late (2015)

This is a peculiar film which nonetheless holds one’s interest. Starring the inestimable John Hawkes as an L.A. gumshoe, the story takes us through a jumbled murder mystery in five acts, presented out of linear sequence. This method causes instant confusion, and at about the time the viewer realizes what’s being presented, key features tend to get lost.

If that weren’t enough, director/writer Dennis Hauck elected to film each act in one continuous sequence of roughly 20 minute takes. Because of that, shortcuts in the action had to be compressed and fed in, without the aid of cuts, creating some awkward transitions.

Hitchcock stated that his film Rope was merely a stunt film, and his following picture Under Capricorn didn’t suffer a much better fate, also with use of the even longer interrupted takes. So its use by a freshman director in Too Late was bound to get him into trouble. Add to this the Tarantino-style dialogue, with the subject matter jumping around like a mosquito, staying privy to the narrative becomes a project for the viewer. The choice of takes and dialogue are a mark of a young director impressed by the work of his influences.

Hawkes turned in another first rate performance, and the supporting cast was likewise very strong, although the use of two actresses whose looks were so similar added to the confusion.

This was Hauck’s first feature film, following several shorts, so it will be fascinating to see what he comes up with next. We haven’t heard much from him since 2015, so hopefully he’ll be able to put together another project.

Doc’s rating: 6/10

We bought a zoo (2011)

A wistful film that's nonetheless enjoyable. Good watching for us on a Sunday and I thought all the actors did well with a pretty creaky script. I didn't expect too much out of it and was warmly suprised 7/10

Too Late (2015)

Doc’s rating: 6/10
I liked this better than you but I can see your points. I thought for a first time director that this was very bold and to my eyes, he pulled it off nicely. I did watch it twice, however. I think this sort of film needs to be seen twice so you can take it all in, the 2nd time being a real payoff.

Loved the dialog concerning toilet wipes vs. toilet paper. Very funny stuff.