The Gunslinger45's Top 10 Favorite Film Scores

Tools    

Hello MoFos! You all saw my list for my Top 10 favorite Opening Songs in movies. Well as I said that list was about SONGS and I excluded Scores. So… why not do a list about my favorite scores? I mean why not? Composers and the like should be honored on this list too. And because I like making these Top Ten lists. Now I will say this, n this case the music MUST have been written for the movie, and there must be a central composer. So once again the badassery of the Mortal Kombat theme runs by the way side. And other films like 2001: A Space Odyssey with classical pieces written before the film was made. So here are The Gunslinger45’s Top Ten Favorite Film Scores!

10. The Good The Bad and the Ugly by Ennio Morricone

One of the most famous and iconic composers is Ennio Morricone. And he is best known for his work on spaghetti westerns. Particularly the ones done by Sergio Leone. And while I may prefer A Fistful of Dollars as a film, the score for The Good The Bad and The Ugly is the best of the trilogy.

9. Dawn of the Dead by Goblin

Horror movies tend to have some awesome music. Dawn of the Dead is no different. Goblin has done scores for lots of movies. A lot of them Italian horror films by Argento and giallo efforts. It is one of the best parts of the movie too.

8. Halloween by John Carpenter

Carpenter! Not only a great director but a guy who scored his own movies. Talk about talent. And this is one of his best in terms of both. Not only iconic, but just so creepy. Really adds to the atmosphere of the films.

7. The Grand Budapest Hotel by Alexandre Desplat

A surprisingly peppy score that feels to match Wes Anderson’s personality. It felt upbeat, but at the same time a tad off beat. Just fit the film so well.

6. The Godfather by Nino Rota

An iconic score from arguably the greatest movie ever made. Probably one of the most famous pieces of the use of a trumpet in the cinematic world. Just pure brilliant musical composition.

Master of My Domain
The TGTBTU theme is pure awesomeness. Morriocne is a genius, all he did was combine the sound of a man screaming with electric guitars.

5. Blade Runner by Vangelis

Blade Runner. A cinematic masterpiece. It is a visual wonder, makes you ponder on some very deep themes, and has a BEAUTIFUL score by Vangelis. The electronic score just fits the film perfectly.

Master of My Domain
Oh and the Halloween. Dawn of the Dead, The Grandbudapest Hotel, and The Godfather theme are all sweet honey to my ears. Great choices.

Love all these so far, with the exception of Grand Budapest Hotel. I recall it being good, but it's far from a favorite. All the rest seem like top choices.

4. Bram Stoker’s Dracula by Wojciech Kiler

LOVE! This score! The score really ups the intensity of the mood and adds to the terror of the film. I mean wow is this just a perfect way to keep the audience o the edge of their seat. But the film also has some beautiful and sweeter pieces in it as well.

Oh and the Halloween. Dawn of the Dead, The Grandbudapest Hotel, and The Godfather theme are all sweet honey to my ears. Great choices.
Love all these so far, with the exception of Grand Budapest Hotel. I recall it being good, but it's far from a favorite. All the rest seem like top choices.
Glad you guys like it so far. Hope the rest you like too.

Glad you guys like it so far. Hope the rest you like too.
I'm a sucker for top scores/soundtrack lists. I have never seen (or heard) the last one, but I'm curious what the first choice will be.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl by Hans Zimmer

Hans Zimmer is one of the best and hardest working composers these days. The man has been working on film scores since the 80’s but has done work for some pretty big name movies. But he seems to have a niche for a lot of modern blockbusters, the most notable being The Pirates of the Caribbean movies. And the score is pretty damn bad ass. Makes me want to learn what the hell starboard is and step on a boat. But a movie worked on by another guy keeps me out of the damn water…

2. John Williams... DAMN NEAR EVERYTHING!

A man so talented he is easily the greatest film composer of the cinematic age. The man’s musical direction has touched not only some of the greatest movies ever made, but also some of the most popular films. I mean come on, look at his IMDB page! Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Superman, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, damn near everything Spielberg has done, a few Harry Potter movies, THE MAN IS A LEGEND! Some composers get one, two, maybe three really good pieces of work. This guy is a machine! The man deserves to be on this list and high up on it!

I've heard that one literally thousands of times but had no idea where it was from. Makes sense though, considering I've never seen Pirates of the Caribbean. But Journey to the line is easily my favorite Hans Zimmer score (followed closely by Crimson Tide)

John Williams is alright. His work is pretty iconic but usually it's not my cup of tea.

I've heard that one literally thousands of times but had no idea where it was from. Makes sense though, considering I've never seen Pirates of the Caribbean. But Journey to the line is easily my favorite Hans Zimmer score (followed closely by Crimson Tide)

John Williams is alright. His work is pretty iconic but usually it's not my cup of tea.
Eh. To each their own.

1. Taxi Driver intro by Bernard Hermann – Taxi Driver

Shock to no one. Bernard Herman was a master of music and a huge name in film scores. Now as I said, John Williams is the king, but before John was this guy. Doing scores for Citizen Kane, Vertigo, and he scored my favorite movie of all time. I learned a few things about the creation of the score. There are no strings in the score and at first it was all done by the brass section. It was supposed to be a reflection of Bickle’s iron will. Hermann then decided to experiment with the saxophone, and added that to the score. Thus giving the cool jazzy feel. The score is haunting and beautiful all at once. Hermann’s addition to the movie was further fueling of the perfect storm of the movie production. Between Scorsese’s direction, De Niro’s acting, Schrader’s writing, and a fantastic supporting cast, Herman’s score was just the cherry on top of an already great movie. It is truly my favorite piece of movie music.