2013 Oscar Predictions/Picks

Tools    

I can't believe there isn't an Oscar thread in a movie forum, so here is one! Oscar noms will be announced next week I believe, but in the meantime post your predictions for what will win and be nominated or what you think SHOULD be nominated. Here's some of mine with winners in bold:

Best Picture
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
Argo
Life of Pi
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
The Master
Les Miserables

Best Director
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Ben Affleck, Argo
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Best Actor
Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Supporting Actor
Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, The Master
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Leonardo Di Caprio, Django Unchained

Best Cinematography
Life of Pi
Skyfall
The Master

Best Visual Effects
Life of Pi
Prometheus
Avengers
Dark Knight Rises

Note that these picks reflect my opinion on who should win and be nominated, not necessarily who I think the Academy will nominate.

As you know, the Oscars haven't been nominated, but I'll give it a shot

Best Picture
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
Argo
Life of Pi
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
The Master
Les Miserables

Best Director
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Ben Affleck, Argo
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Best Actor
Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty

Best Supporting Actor
Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, The Master
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Leonardo Di Caprio, Django Unchained

Best Cinematography
Life of Pi
Skyfall
The Master

Best Visual Effects
Life of Pi
Prometheus
Avengers
Dark Knight Rises

Just so you know, you don't have to use my list of nominees as a template, you can give your own picks for nominees as well as winners!
I'm surprised you pick Prometheus over Life of Pi, why is that? The CGI tiger in that movie is amazingly well done and realistic, and honestly one of the most impressive visual effects in a film ever IMO.

I think Charlize Theron is hot, even if she was in a black and white Film...

As per most years, a lot front runner haven't even been released here.

Deakins needs a statuette. That's the only preference I have right now.

I'd like to see Argo pick something up as it was a nice 70s-esque thriller and hits the right boxes to appeal to voters but it's not the strongest film up for nomination.

DDL seems a bit too predictable and probable so would like to see The Master pick up something for the male leads, in either category tbh as JP and PSH were both fantastic.

QT has definitely matured in his film making to the point where I think he's becoming due a Best Director win, though not seen Django. Can see him getting a script win in lieu, though would love to Looper sneak that. Though Hooper winning 2 for 2 doesn't appeal that much, much like Boal/Bigelow combo.

Documentary is interesting as both The Imposter and Sugarman were top films of the year.

I'd like Amour to win something too. And Moonrise Kingdom but can't see it front running any category.

Haven't seen enough films to tell you my picks, but my predictions:

Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln, hoping for LDC though)
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained, have a feeling might be Zero Dark Thirty though)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio (Argo)
Best Foreign Language: Amour

movieforums/community/showthread.php?t=29118
Ah, that thread didn't come up in my search because it's incorrectly named 2012 Oscars instead of 2013 At any rate, this is a more recent thread and also more specific about listing your nominees and winners as opposed to general talk and discussion.

Oscar noms will be announced next week I believe...
January 24th.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Haven't seen enough films to tell you my picks, but my predictions:

Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln, hoping for LDC though)
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained, have a feeling might be Zero Dark Thirty though)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio (Argo)
Best Foreign Language: Amour
Probably being a bit slow, LDC? Interesting on the Pic/Dir split, sure someone will weigh in with some stats on that soon.

Probably being a bit slow, LDC? Interesting on the Pic/Dir split, sure someone will weigh in with some stats on that soon.
Leonardo Di Caprio And yeh I wasn't really sure about that, I fancy Argo for best picture for some reason but I'm not sure if they'd give Affleck an award for best director over someone who's already won it and critics seem to like, actually thinking about it again maybe they will, I dunno :P

Leonardo Di Caprio And yeh I wasn't really sure about that, I fancy Argo for best picture for some reason but I'm not sure if they'd give Affleck an award for best director over someone who's already won it and critics seem to like, actually thinking about it again maybe they will, I dunno :P
Ah yeah, though seems odd for them to give him a Supporting before a Lead when that's where he normally plays.

Argo is very Academy friendly - based on real characters, features the industry in a positive light, no controversy, fine supporting cast of character actors, decent box-office and critical reception. I like it's chances on paper but think it may have peaked too early and lost steam. Affleck has already won an Oscar for writing and has been a solid and improving director. Seems more appropriate for him to than Hooper or Bigelow who both won in last 3 years, shame we can't erase Gigli.

Tarantino deserves another Oscar, most likely for Best Original Screenplay for Django Unchained.

Leonardo DiCaprio should win for Best Supporting Actor for his work in Django Unchained. The only competition he has is Tommy Lee Jones for his performance in Lincoln. I don't think the Academy will give it to Christoph Waltz again even though he was equally awesome as DiCaprio in Django Unchained. I do think Robert Deniro deserves an Oscar nod for Silver Linings Playbook. Alan Arkin has had enough award nominations ever since he won it for Little Miss Sunshine, so I doubt he'll win anything this year. Same goes for Meryl Streep

Silver Linings Playbook will pick up the award for Best Actress for Jennifer Lawrence, which she rightfully deserves, and Les Miserables will pick up the Supporting Actress award for Anne Hathaway, which he strongly deserves as well.

Best Picture will be a close race between Life of Pi, Argo, and Silver Linings Playbook. However, I'd love it if Django Unchained wins it (Ok, I'm a Tarantino fanatic!). Lincoln was a good film but does not deserve the Oscar. Speilberg has done far more superior films that he wasn't even nominated for so I doubt he'll win for Best Director.

Daniel Day Lewis has been getting the early buzz to win the Best Actor award for his portrayal of Lincoln. However, I think he will get heavy competition from the likes of Hugh Jackman, who carried the film Les Miserables, Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook, Joaquin Phoenix for The Master, who could end up stealing it, and even Jack Black in the performance of his career in Bernie.

I think there are a few no brainer this year:

"Best Picture" for Zero Dark Thirty

"Best Supporting Actress" for Anne Hathaway

"Best Supporting Actor" for Leonardo Di Caprio

and I think Quentin Tarantino, Ang Lee and Paul Thomas Anderson deserves some recognition at the Oscars.

Leonardo DiCaprio should win for Best Supporting Actor for his work in Django Unchained. The only competition he has is Tommy Lee Jones for his performance in Lincoln.

Best Picture will be a close race between Life of Pi, Argo, and Silver Linings Playbook.

Daniel Day Lewis has been getting the early buzz to win the Best Actor award for his portrayal of Lincoln. However, I think he will get heavy competition from the likes of Joaquin Phoenix for The Master, who could end up stealing it
What about Phillip Seymour-Hoffman as competition for DiCap and Tommy Lee Jones?

I don't believe Life of Pi stands any chance of actually winning Best Picture even though it will probably get nominated. That film was impressive on a visual/technical level but let's be real, there was nothing special about it in terms of plot, acting, or other traditional theatric elements.

I have Phoneix and Day Lewis as 1a and 1b for Best Actor in terms of merit, but I highly doubt the Academy would pick Phoneix after his statements about them and also the fact that DDL plays an American icon in Lincoln.

Aussie Ohh Aussie Ohh Aussie Ohh

I must add that I am surprised that some films and actors have been overlooked for the Golden Globes, and it would be wrong to overlook them for the Oscars:

Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell in Seven Psychopaths for Best Supporting Actor(s), particularly Walken who was marvelous in that movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena (Best Actor and Supporting Actor) for End Of Watch. The movie itself is by far one of the best films of the year and has also been overlooked for Best Picture. I hope it gets an Oscar nod which it rightfully deserves. Pena, in particular, delivered his best performance to date, and should be nominated for an Oscar.

I must add that I am surprised that some films and actors have been overlooked for the Golden Globes, and it would be wrong to overlook them for the Oscars:

Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell in Seven Psychopaths for Best Supporting Actor(s), particularly Walken who was marvelous in that movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena (Best Actor and Supporting Actor) for End Of Watch. The movie itself is by far one of the best films of the year and has also been overlooked for Best Picture. I hope it gets an Oscar nod which it rightfully deserves. Pena, in particular, delivered his best performance to date, and should be nominated for an Oscar.
Care to list a full set of who you think the nominees should be? I'm interested because you clearly have opinions that differ from the "mainstream prognosticators".