Burgess Meredith
45.45%
5 votes
Danny DeVito
36.36%
4 votes
Robin Lord Taylor
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I never regarded DeVito's portrayal as that of the Penguin.
Sure, he had the same name, but any similarity to any previous iterations (in the comics, on TV or in film) of the character ended there.
Was that true of any of the other villains in the films?

Bane in Batman and Robin. The comics (and Dark Knight Rises) versions were large, muscled men, but also intelligent. Bane from Batman and Robin... Not so much.
Oh yeah, that's the biggie isn't it.

WHAT?! Im the only one that voted Burgess Meredith?!
He was great, and I'm assuming the closest to the Penguin in the comics, at least in appearance.

Devito's version was the darkest and most disturbing, which makes it the best.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Was that true of any of the other villains in the films?
Sure, lots of them.
Dr. Doom comes to mind in the 2005 Fantastic Four film (they greatly removed him from his comic origins, changed him from a foreign monarch to a smarmy businessman, altered his relationships to the main characters, made him part of the FF's origin story - essentially making him the fifth member of the expedition, and gave him powers which he never possessed. In the comics, the fact that Doom didn't have powers and all his weapons were devised by his own mind made him the antithesis of the super-powered Fantastic Four).

Sure, lots of them.
Dr. Doom comes to mind in the 2005 Fantastic Four film (they greatly removed him from his comic origins, changed him from a foreign monarch to a smarmy businessman, altered his relationships to the main characters, made him part of the FF's origin story - essentially making him the fifth member of the expedition, and gave him powers which he never possessed. In the comics, the fact that Doom didn't have powers and all his weapons were devised by his own mind made him the antithesis of the super-powered Fantastic Four).
It's still the most faithful Fantastic Four film so far.

Sure, lots of them.
I see – that's clever. I did like it though with Spiderman that they had the web shooting as part of the mutation rather than his own invention.

Arnold and his Mr. Freeze's avalanche of puns, also from Batman and Robin.
I thought Arnold was great in that film, despite the pathetic dialogue.

Devitos Penguin never had a chance. It was just awful! Pathetic and grotesque, one of Tim Burtons biggest FAILs. Those flipper hands and could barely move. Are you kidding me?! First place?!

Devitos Penguin never had a chance. It was just awful! Pathetic and grotesque, one of Tim Burtons biggest FAILs. Those flipper hands and could barely move. Are you kidding me?! First place?!

Yes. And I never knew the Penguin to constantly be drooling some kind of black bile out of his mouth.

Burgess Meredith indeed had the most faithful interpretation - the Penguin was a short, eccentric, chubby, ugly little man with a big nose who wanted desperately to be a "Dapper Dan" and belong to the upper crust of society. He found the only way he could come close to achieve this was through brilliant crimes.

The thing about the Penguin is he wasn't one of Batman's crazy "Arkham' villains. He was eccentric, but not insane.

Some of the TV show's plots were plucked right from the comics - you see, the Penguin wanted to appear as part of Gotham's upper crust, while behind his rouse, he was building a criminal empire. In this sense, the Penguin & Batman had much in common - they both had alter egos that were part of the Gotham elite, but in their true personas one was a criminal & the other was a crime-fighting vigilante. The Penguin, more often than not, failed to maintain his secret identity (usually due to the work of the Batman), yet he'd often try to regain it.

In more recent years, the Penguin has been given a more realistic treatment that plays upon the same themes - he's a wealthy businessman who owns nightclubs, but behind the scenes he's an organized crime boss.

(I have no idea what they're doing with him on "Gotham.")

Well you got to give Arnold credit, he never tried to "phone it in". Problem was he couldnt act a lick anyway, and I love Arnold. Easily was one of his most unintentionally hilarious bad performances.

Poor Burgess. I remember ya buddy! He was like born to play The Penguin like Arnold was to Conan.

You like that Arnold to Burgess segway there