Feedback Needed: The User Reputation System

Tools    

Originally Posted by firegod
Oh, I think I know what it is. I had 9 points for awhile, and you probably need 10 or more to affect people's rep.

No, you’re supposed to have one point of reputation power if you’ve been here over a year, so there has to be something wrong with yours…

Yoda?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
No, you’re supposed to have one point of reputation power if you’ve been here over a year, so there has to be something wrong with yours…

Yoda?
Actually, Jer's right. The system, by default, requires that someone have 10 reputation points to effect another's reputation...seemed reasonable beforehand, though now that the system is up and running I see that that's probably not the best way to go about it. I'll lower it to 5.

Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Actually, Jer's right. The system, by default, requires that someone have 10 reputation points to effect another's reputation...seemed reasonable beforehand, though now that the system is up and running I see that that's probably not the best way to go about it. I'll lower it to 5.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ah.. Okay. Thanks for clearing that up…

Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks, Chris. Is the change retroactive?

Thanks, Chris. Is the change retroactive?
Unfortunately, no, but I'd be glad to delete the reputation you've handed out so far, if you like, allowing you to re-issue it.

Unfortunately, no, but I'd be glad to delete the reputation you've handed out so far, if you like, allowing you to re-issue it.
Nah, that's ok. Thanks for the offer, though.

i haven't been around much since this rep stff started and i just want to make sure i have understand it corently cause i think its a good idea

i clicked on my upsercp and saw this

Latest Reputation Received > 10 points total
>Thread...True or False >Date 07-20-2003 04:18 AM >Comment [was left blank]

does thia mean that someone clicked on my rep points for my posting in that thread but left no comment??a and that it didn't afect my rep points because everyone starts with 10

sorry if i'm being superflouse...i just want to make sure i've got it rght

I am having a nervous breakdance
I have to ask:

How long must one wait after having repped someone before one can rep that person again? It tells me to spread my love around before repping that person again, so I spread some love around, but still it wont let me rep that first person again. I realize the reason for this: so no one will rep another member, positively or negatively, in absurdum. But is it possible being able to rep someone at least twice in 24 hours?

I have never went on a "repping spree" but a lot of times I have been denied repping someone that I apparantly repped a couple of days before and forgot about it.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

N7of9,

Yup, I believe that's what it means. You can tell when someone isn't affecting your rep if the dot on the left is silver. If green, then you got points, and if red, you had some taken away.

Pidd,

I've given out rep points to a person twice in a day. You just have to rep a few other people first (I don't know exactly how many).

My life isn't written very well.
Piddy your use of the verb "rep" in your last post , and the variations therein, is astounding!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Pidd,

I've given out rep points to a person twice in a day. You just have to rep a few other people first (I don't know exactly how many).
More than three anyway.

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Piddy your use of the verb "rep" in your last post , and the variations therein, is astounding!
I went on a repping spree.

Get off my island
Has the system changed? I notice that "well thought of" has become "respected", "quite popular" has become "well thought of", "revered" has become "quite popular" and "utterly loathed" has become "Django"

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
Has the system changed? I notice that "well thought of" has become "respected", "quite popular" has become "well thought of", "revered" has become "quite popular" and "utterly loathed" has become "Django"
Yes, it's been modified slightly. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner. The change was pretty minor, though. Here are the updated reputation levels:
  • -250: User is utterly loathed
  • -150: User is despised
  • -100: User is strongly disliked
  • -50: User is disliked
  • -25: User is not respected
  • 0: User is sitting on the fence of credibility
  • 50 - User is respected
  • 100 - User is well thought of
  • 200 - User is quite popular
  • 300 - User is highly revered
  • 500 - User is just...wow
I updated them because a few MoFos had achieved the highest rank possible, and I thought it best to always have new levels for people to shoot for. I'll probably overhaul the rankings against in a few months. If things keep up like this long enough, I'll add a whole bunch of new, long-term ones.

Yes, it's been modified slightly. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner. The change was pretty minor, though. Here are the updated reputation levels:
  • -250: User is utterly loathed
  • -150: User is despised
  • -100: User is strongly disliked
  • -50: User is disliked
  • -25: User is not respected
  • 0: User is sitting on the fence of credibility
  • 50 - User is respected
  • 100 - User is well thought of
  • 200 - User is quite popular
  • 300 - User is highly revered
  • 500 - User is just...wow
If this is right then why is it when I mouse over Django's (who has
-godonlyknowshowmany) reputation point thing it just says "Django", as opposed to "Django is despised" or whatever it should be.

(Yes, I saw Mr. M's post but it still doesn't seem clear to me)

Originally Posted by Garrett
If this is right then why is it when I mouse over Django's (who has
-godonlyknowshowmany) reputation point thing it just says "Django", as opposed to "Django is despised" or whatever it should be.

(Yes, I saw Mr. M's post but it still doesn't seem clear to me)

Django's minus reputation points may be higher then -250, which I assume would place him in a category all his own…

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Django's minus reputation points may be higher then -250, which I assume would place him in a category all his own…
Hey, good for Django, he's gone where no man has gone before.

I think that the reputation system you've established here is a great way to help keep the quality of the posts on a high level.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Exactly when do we get our rep points taken off? I just had a point taken off recently for giving my personal opinion on old Japanese movies. If we can't express our opinions freely without people taking points off, that's just really...not good. (Gosh i really have to watch my mouth now)
and also, how many points do each of those green things stand for?

I'm giving you some points because you should be able to like or not like genres without being picked on.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by quiball
Exactly when do we get our rep points taken off? I just had a point taken off recently for giving my personal opinion on old Japanese movies. If we can't express our opinions freely without people taking points off, that's just really...not good. (Gosh i really have to watch my mouth now)
and also, how many points do each of those green things stand for?
I know what you mean. Just recently I had reputation points taken off on a post back in December or November. The message simply read "Make up your mind"... which really had no relevance to that particular post.