Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

There goes Gunn hatin' more on Gigli, I see.

Good thInG I do hate it actuaLly, or otherwIse I would be talking about it forever, and most people hate the movie, and I would probably be killed...... But no talking about that movie here in this post, none at all.

Oops...... There I go again.

the strangers.

...Seriously?

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Lost In Translation

After recently watching it for the very first time, I can say with relative certainty that this title belongs to Citizen Kane. Maybe a rewatch is in order to fully understand and appreciate everything that happened in the film, but I'm in no hurry to watch it again.

The first time I watched Citizen Kane, I had a similar, though not as extreme view of the film. I liked it alot, but didn't see what justified it being 'the #1 film of all time'. I got a bit older, watched it again, watched a documentary on it, watched the HBO (I think HBO) film RKO281, read a few directors opinions on the film, watched it again, and finally I see why it is regarded with such reverence, deserving its spot at the top of film history. What helps is seeing all the films after it's release that are in debt to Orson Welles for this films technical merit. I wouldn't place it first personally, but top 50, probably. Although, I certainly understand why many people view it as overrated.

My choice for most overrated film is probably Sideways, and I'm a big fan of Election and Citizen Ruth (Payne's other films). I do believe that when I am a decade or so older, I will give this film another chance and more than likely have a higher opinion of it. It's not that I don't like the film (3/5), it's that I didn't agree with it's critical response.

And so come the negative reputation clicks, thank you.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I thought this stupid thread had died a miserable lonely death.

Citizen Kane? Why not add Casablanca to the list too?

And who over rated Sideways? A lot of folks haven't even seen it. I use lines from it on an almost daily basis and rarely does anyone know what movie I'm quoting.

Such an utterly pointless f*cking thread.

I didn't create the thread, Powdered Water; I'm simply contributing to the forum with my thoughts.

You're a Genius all the time
Jeez-o-man, what's with all this crazy amount of hate directed towards the good ol' overrated movie thread? Why is there something wrong with finding a purported classic/great movie a tad underwhelming or even just downright lame? Isn't that what this thread's for? Doesn't it all depend on a person's taste? I mean, I think Sideways is a bit overrated. I'm guessing its Tomatoemeter and Metacritc score and whatnot are all outta this world, but I sure didn't like it too much. So is that really so bad?

Casablanca, love that film.

As for "who overrated Sideways?" Every critic. Ah, but they don't really matter anyways right? Oh yeah, I could add the Academy Awards too, they gave it more credit than was due (in my opinion).

But hey I saw it, kind of liked it, and if you quoted a line from it to me I too would have no idea what movie you were talking about. You shouldn't take it so personally, I assure you there's a movie I love that I'm sure you think was overrated, like Casablanca. It ain't no thang.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one.

My choice for most overrated film is probably Sideways, and I'm a big fan of Election and Citizen Ruth (Payne's other films). I do believe that when I am a decade or so older, I will give this film another chance and more than likely have a higher opinion of it. It's not that I don't like the film (3/5), it's that I didn't agree with it's critical response.
Dude, I totally agree with Sideways, I actually mentioned it in this thread like a month ago. I heard so many great things about it, and when I actually got to watch it, the movie was pretty bland. The characters were very stale, there was nothing even really intertesing about any of them. And the plot never really went anywhere, I don't get why I've seen it getting so much praise from people. Maybe I'll rewatch sometime soon and maybe my opinion on it will change, but I highly doubt it.

Nah, don't watch it again soon MovieMan, give it some time. You're only 15 (or so that's what it says on your profile) buddy, there's many other films that you should check out first before giving that one some attention again. If you're a true film fan and maybe even thinking of getting into the film industry, I suggest checking out some of the films in the Directors Sight & Sound Poll. This list is compiled from the top tens of some of the greatest filmmakers who have ever lived. I personally value their opinions highly, much more than critics. But hey, that's just my opinion and I have already spoken of these.

Nah, don't watch it again soon MovieMan, give it some time. You're only 15 (or so that's what it says on your profile) buddy, there's many other films that you should check out first before giving that one some attention again. If you're a true film fan and maybe even thinking of getting into the film industry, I suggest checking out some of the films in the Directors Sight & Sound Poll. This list is compiled from the top tens of some of the greatest filmmakers who have ever lived. I personally value their opinions highly, much more than critics. But hey, that's just my opinion and I have already spoken of these.
Ive been trying to see more movies that are considered some of the best movies ever made a lot in these past few months, and I've got to say, for the most part, what I've seen have been great. Most of my top 100 is compiled of these great movies I've seen in these past few months. I like looking on lists like these because they give me a good idea of what movies I should check out and watch. So I'm gonna continue doing this until I've seen them all, it's gonna take quite some time though.

I've seen a heck of a lot of movies in my day, and what I did was start out with these lists and from there if I liked the movie I would follow it up and watch other films either directed by the same director, written by the same writer, or starring the same actor or actress. As for making your own top 100 movie list don't get me started on that. Getting the movies you want on that list is not too hard, but organizing them and ranking them is. I've been working on mine for about 8 years now and it changes every time I get into it.

I've seen a heck of a lot of movies in my day, and what I did was start out with these lists and from there if I liked the movie I would follow it up and watch other films either directed by the same director, written by the same writer, or starring the same actor or actress. As for making your own top 100 movie list don't get me started on that. Getting the movies you want on that list is not too hard, but organizing them and ranking them is. I've been working on mine for about 8 years now and it changes every time I get into it.
Yeah, right now I'm just messing around with ranking them, I should be finished with it by tomorrow. So I hope to have at least started my top 100 by tomorrow night, it may end up having to wait until Saturday night though, at least it's almost about to be finished.

Well, I'm looking forward to it. I have a little something-something I may post on this site one day.
Yeah, you should do a top 100 sometime soon too.