The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
We can have a discussion about female objectification in games without the more gratuitous pics?

Hanging breasts isn't bad, but I can't remember any game which had oversexualized women and which I liked at the same time... ok. Here it is:

Warrior Within is awesome
It would be a real shame to miss Soul Calibur because of Ivy. Especially because there are some pretty badass women in the game besides:

I think the fuss over Dragon's Crown was really stupid, honestly. It's grossly misplaced offense. Why target games as relatively tame as well-intentioned as Dragon's Crown when **** like OneeChanbara continues to fly under the radar?

Dragon's Crown got more flak than Lollipop Chainsaw, and Lollipop Chainsaw could be fairly accused of homophobic jokes.

It's true the sex-sells attitude needs to severely dial it back (like, go back to Duke Nukem 3D), but far more offensive then simply portraying female characters as sexually attractive, is games that treat female characters as idiot ****-me dating sim character archetypes.

At LEAST Ivy from Soul Calibur, despite her so-big-they-have-their-own-orbit breasts, is an intelligent and motivated individual with her own ambitions and personality unrelated to the player's orientation.

Go ahead and shoot me now, but I find characters like Aerith from Final Fantasy 7 significantly more insufferable because she's every single ******* helpless maiden character on the express train directly into Cloud's crotch.

I don't care if Tifa's plainly oversexed, at least she's not hitting on me EVERY SINGLE ****ING SCENE SHE'S IN.

i suppose i could've put it in a spoiler tag.

I don't mind a game having outfits like that but it shouldn't be the default for all the characters.. if you want something that absurd you should have to select it manually

Originally Posted by Tacitus
We can have a discussion about female objectification in games without the more gratuitous pics?
O_O

That's the idle animation for the Sorceress from Dragon's Crown. "Gratuitous" is far from what I would use to describe it as something from the medium that invented "jiggle physics".

Originally Posted by foster
I don't mind a game having outfits like that but it shouldn't be the default for all the characters.. if you want something that absurd you should have to select it manually
They did that for the Resident Evil: Revelations games and I appreciated them for it.

I know what it is. I own the game.

What I asked for still stands.

That's rough, Tacitus.

At least she's clothed, I seem to recall a few male characters who's idle animations simply involve flexing their bare muscular chests.

Then of course, I'm in the minority that thinks the sexualization of womens' chests is a nonsensical double standard to begin with. We should concern ourselves with mentally portraying women in video games before physically portraying them.

If you think what I posted pushes what you consider to be Not Safe For Work, fine, I'll let it go, but if you seriously think that Kamitani's caricaturized art is somehow pushing the boundaries of what should be acceptable in video games, I must disagree.

I think I missed all these "sexy" games just cause I only own a PC and I don't care about fighting games either.
Lollipop chainsaw actually looks like dumb, but fun game
It'd make a better movie than a game honestly. As it is it's just another hack-n-slash ruined by it's mechanical inferiority to older games in it's genre.

PS3 suggestions?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Aren't both male and female models unrealistic in fighting games? Yet only female ones are questioned, it has always been like that, that's why I don't take it seriously. There are strong female characters in gaming industry, Regina is first one that comes to mind, from Dino Crisis 1-2, in second game Dylan is represented as pure muscle while she is the brain, if I was some old dude or bored girl I could call that sexist, but I have things to do in my life... And about how there are more male than female characters... Well guess what, there are more male developers in the industry and they find it easier to create a male character.

From reading couple of posts, I got it we are talking about female objectification, if not...

Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle
PS3 suggestions?
DEFINITELY:
Bioshock: Ultimate Rapture Edition
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (exclusive)
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend (exclusive)
Devil May Cry: HD Collection
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (exclusive)
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (exclusive)
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX (exclusive)
Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition (better on PS3)
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late (exclusive)
XCOM: Enemy Within

MAYBE:
Deception IV: Blood Ties (exclusive)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (better on PS3)
Strider (exclusive/Japan release)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (better on 360)

Originally Posted by -KhaN-
Aren't both male and female models unrealistic in fighting games? Yet only female ones are questioned, it has always been like that, that's why I don't take it seriously. There are strong female characters in gaming industry, Regina is first one that comes to mind, from Dino Crisis 1-2,
I can think of a bunch of strong female characters in games, but only a few of them are central protagonists.

The punk girl, Zoe, becomes the "recommended" character in SSX 3.
Clare Redfield is very mature in Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (until those unlockable costumes).
Lightning becomes considerably more badass and likable in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
Alice is also pretty sick in Alice: Madness Returns.
Elsa from Front Mission 4 is very straight-laced.
Lyn from Fire Emblem... ummm...

That's all I can think of right now. And those are just pre-established main-main characters. Games like Advance Wars and Bravely Default let you play as strong major female characters like Sami and Edea too.

i tried playing street fighter v again today, but it wants me to pay for some ******** called playstation plus to play online. Just like that I'm done with this stupid game.

It doesn't even have an arcade mode vs the computer.

You need to have PS+ to play anything online on the PS4.

Arcade mode is a month away at least so for now there's Survival, an awful story mode and an unreliable online vs. It's not been the best launch I can remember.

Woo, Grim Dawn is finally getting released this week.

3 years on from the Kickstarter, 2 from its Early Access launch (and from when I bought the game) so it's fair to say they've not rushed it. Titan Quest is my favourite Action RPG by quite a distance so I was always going to buy their follow-up.

What little I've allowed myself to play in pre-release has been impressive.

You need to have PS+ to play anything online on the PS4.

Arcade mode is a month away at least so for now there's Survival, an awful story mode and an unreliable online vs. It's not been the best launch I can remember.
I don't approve. If there's not even an arcade mode then online play should be free.

That ain't the way things work though - Capcom were upfront that Arcade mode would be delayed from well before the game was released and you can't play anything online on PS4 without PS+. It's the same as XBL Gold.

The only place for free online is PC and with queues of 10 minutes + for even casual matches, it's not even great there. When you do get in, though, (something I've probably managed twice) it's much better than SFIV online was on PC, so there's that.

what a crap shoot.. well I don't enjoy the game enough to pay for that PS+ **** so I guess I'm done with it unless I can use my brothers account. It's his game

I'm just searching for something to do for fun.. all I do is stretch and watch movies/tv both of which are a labor for my ambitions. I thought about maybe reading a book. It's been years since I've read anything besides screen plays.

I did an English Lit degree, which entailed studying over 250 plays and novels (most of them multiple times) in three years.

I think I've read one book a year in the two decades since.

If you're still thinking along the lines of fighting games, Mortal Kombat 10 has an excellent single player mode, tutorial and plays really well. Ultimately I prefer the core Street Fighter mechanic but MKX is definitely a keeper.

EDIT - MKX is $29.99 in the current PSN sale. Loads more on offer, as well.

Link