The 2016 Oscar Preview Podcast

Tools    

I posted this in another thread, but I figured it deserved its own, so here ya' go.

For those who don't know, I do a big Oscar Preview podcast with Holden Pike and mark f. each year. This is the fifth (!) year we've done it, and it's always good fun. It can go crazy long sometime (in 2012 it was almost two hours and had to be split into two parts!), but it's always packed full of insight and lots of interesting Oscar trivia, as you would expect from any conversation with two of our biggest cinephiles.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

Oh, forgot to mention: this is the first year we're all using headset mics and all that, so the audio quality is easily the best in any of these Oscar podcasts (on par with the last couple of Movie Club ones we've done). Thanks to both Holden and Mark for working with me to get that all setup.

You are quite welcome. It was a fun couple hours, as always.

And it should be noted that we recorded this Saturday afternoon, hours before the DGA Awards were announced. So what I had to say about anybody other than Alejandro González Iñárritu being a longshot to win Best Director goes triple, now.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Did you change that video? I had the page open in the background, and I just got back to it and watched the video. Then when I refreshed the page, it was a different video.
Yes. Are you some sort of detective or wizard or a detective wizard?

Bump! Oscars are a week from tomorrow! This will all be gloriously outdated after that! But probably still interesting to listen to, for the history/trivia/etc.

Great cast too. I look forward to it every year and never change any of my pool picks based on what you guys say.

How did I miss this? I look forward to it every year. Big thanks to Yoda, Holden, and Mark for continuing the tradition.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Great listen!!!!

Have you ever thought about making a post-Oscar podcast? Would be neat to hear your reactions to the winners and the show in general.

Not sure if it's crossed my mind before; I think it'd probably be entertaining, but my guess is there's less demand for it than the pre-show podcast.

They're also very tiring to edit. And usually just after the chat I'm pretty exhausted. That said, it's something I'll consider for next year, especially if we keep doing podcasts regularly and get better at them, and could find a way to do a reasonably succinct wrap-up show. Interesting suggestion.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm about halfway through this now -- interesting, I would LOVE to listen to a podcast about movies in general.. Luckily, I did see "Spotlight" and don't really know about most of the movies mentioned in 2015.

Good sense of humor, and it's extra special because I've been reading you all for almost 2 years