Watchmen

Tools    

In the Beginning...
It may be threatening and annoying to those of us excited about the film, but it's not unethical or unreasonable.
I agree, but I do think it's unflattering of Fox that the studio seems to either have forgotten they owned the Watchmen property, or just didn't care; and now that Warner Bros. is about to release a potentially lucrative film based on that property, Fox wants to suggest that they care deeply about the sanctity of their property and its unwarranted infringement.

It seems to me that the good people at Fox were biding their time until they could evaluate what kind of potential for return the Snyder film had. If it looked like it was going to bomb, I'm sure Fox would have been mum on its ownership of the property. Who wants to associate themselves with a terrible film? But since the film shows promise, Fox suddenly owns a golden opportunity to dip into some of that Box Office return, and make Warner Bros. look the villain at the same time.

It just looks like shallow studio politics to me.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If it looked like it was going to bomb, I'm sure Fox would have been mum on its ownership of the property. Who wants to associate themselves with a terrible film?
I would have to disagree with that point. Even if it did bomb, they would still get some money....and as we all know the people at the head of these companies want more of it.

Suspect's Reviews

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
True that. they will make anything a tv show! I could call up right now and be like, "I have a great idea for a show where we put babies under the care of hungry orangutans and well call it Primal Parenting" and i would get a 15 episode contract. haha
I'd pay a dollar to see that.

In the Beginning...
I would have to disagree with that point. Even if it did bomb, they would still get some money....and as we all know the people at the head of these companies want more of it.
Yeah, but from a reputation standpoint, they'd look like morons by taking ownership of a terrible film they didn't make. Fox is trying to spin it like they're not interested in money, and only care about the sanctity of the property. Fox doesn't want to risk looking like gold diggers by snagging the film with every intention to release, especially if it turned out to be a terrible film. Just you watch: like Yoda said, Fox will play like the generous benefactors, and will "let" the film get released because "the fans should come first."

Perhaps they were biding their time. But if the legal complexities of these sorts of rights are so complicated that Warner Bros. didn't know about it to begin with, I have no trouble believing that nobody at Fox knew right away, either.

Anyway, like Fox, don't like Fox, but I don't think they're behaving unreasonably or unusually here. I can't really fathom any other studio NOT wielding their rights to a potential hit property in the same way. Heck, I can't conceive of anyone on this board, even, not doing the same if for some reason they discovered they had the adaptation to a potential hit.

In the Beginning...
Perhaps they were biding their time. But if the legal complexities of these sorts of rights are so complicated that Warner Bros. didn't know about it to begin with, I have no trouble believing that nobody at Fox knew right away, either.
This is the part I don't quite understand. Comic book adaptations have been hot commodities these past few years, and looking back over the history of Watchmen projects, everyone from Fox to Universal to Paramount have touted their own at some point. Does that suggest that the property has actually been whored around, or that Fox retained rights all along? Why wasn't anything said during the Aronofsky and Greengrass efforts? It's not really in Fox's best interest to suggest that they completely forgot they owned the rights until now.

And I'm not quite sure how Warner Bros. would be unclear about whether they owned the rights or not. Isn't that something you sort out before you move forward on anything? I'm not going to even pretend that I know anything about copyright law and transfer, but I'd be willing to bet that Warner Bros. dealt with Paramount, who may or may not have really owned the rights.

While I agree with Yoda in that the whole dealio probably won't affect us, I have to say that just because every studio would do the exact same thing doesn't make it okay.If they have a claim,and from what I've read they do (a little), I would much prefer if the whole thing was publicised and/or decided by a wrestling match or none of it was. I just don't want people to say "We don't want the movie released" when they mean "I'd like some more money please". It just cause unnecessary worry and compounds the rockin teenage angst I've got going on.

And,in the end, this is really only important if it affects me, right?

Right?

You're a Genius all the time
I've never read the graphic novel and the trailer does literally nothing for me. I'll probably wind up seeing the movie anyway, but I wonder if I should read the thing first. I guess I probably should.

Seriously? The trailer doesn't spark any interest? I admit, I have trouble comprehending such a thing. If nothing else, it looks quite different from the vast majority of trailers we see.

You're a Genius all the time
I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I don't think it looks all that different from anything we've ever seen before. To me, it looks like the guy who directed 300 took a classic piece of graphic literature by Alan Moore and 300-ized it. But if all you folks who have actually read Watchmen think the trailer looks cool and that it looks like it does justice to the source material, I guess I'll take your word for it.

[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

I've Read The Graphic Novel, And From The Trailer It Looks Like They Copied The Graphic Novels Exactly. I Only See One Scene That Wasn't Actually In The Graphic Novel.

Welcome to the human race...
^ Which scene are you thinking of?

Also, I seriously think someone should edit the thread title to "Watchmen (If you need to ask, read the book first)"

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Also when Manhattan transports into that eating place, and Comedian in Nam'.

Also when Manhattan transports into that eating place, and Comedian in Nam'.
Both of these scenes are in the book.

^ Which scene are you thinking of?

Also, I seriously think someone should edit the thread title to "Watchmen (If you need to ask, read the book first)"
When Night Owl II Dropped To The Ground In The Snow, That Wasn't In The Graphic Novel.

Can't say that I've heard of Watchmen.. The trailer however looks very interesting.

Can't say that I've heard of Watchmen.. The trailer however looks very interesting.
You Should Go Read The Graphic Novel, It's My Favorite Book.