2018 Academy Awards

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I want to see this clean up the oscars

With a new cheerful song about Diversity.
Expect Jada to pipe up now when this doesn't grab a nom

She's already flipped after the Globe noms

Oh I'd love it if she did. Believe me. I think shes arguably the best actress of her generation
and Ive been one of her loudest proponents since she was a kid and out acted Michelle Pfeiffer in her screen debut. And the list of actresses that have had 3 oscar nominations by the age of 23 cant be too long. But everything Im hearing has McDormand by far the strongest candidate and Hawkins and Chastain and Streep arent chopped liver either. But then I dont pay attention to the politics of these things much. Just what moves me most.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It's gonna win Best Makeup, at least.
No. I was just being flippant. The bad elf looked downright horrific, like a makeup student just dropped some LSD and went Johnny Depp on her face.

I have no idea who that is.
See 'Call Me By Your Name.' Then come back.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

She's already flipped after the Globe noms
I give her a free pass. She's got some taste in metal so she can go ahead and be a bit pretentious if she wants.

No Oscar for you Hugh Jackman. Again.

Go back to Marvel and maybe they'll hire you. Disney may even make you a mascot at Disneyland because you're such a sad person. Now that there's no Wolverine to fall back on, how are you going to display your talent?

I can't wait for this film to tug at my heart strings... to see If I'm still alive. My soul will probably leave my body when I buy the ticket. F*ck and you and your piece of sh*t movie.

There's absolutely no reason to see this film. Hugh Jackman failed at life when he started this "passion project." I won't be surprised If he's forced to promote 'The Greatest Showman' for all eternity. I would try my best to end it all If I was forced to do that. That's like, the 11th level of hell or something... which he might be going to for making this movie. How sad.

... that's the face of a broken man.

Not even that.

Since Netflix has been trying to turn into a producing studio. (Which they've gotten quite the bit of backlash for.) Coupled with that, and the industries overwhelming backlash against the aforementioned streaming service. Netflix have decided to go all out with their awards' campaigning this year. They usually get snubbed almost every year.

'Mudbound', is their biggest 'Best Picture' horse; they bought it at Sundance for $12.5 Million and they're pushing it for all the major categories this year: the film has received tons of critic mentions, It's gotten plenty of state nominations, Mary J. Blige has shown up at some of the industry precursors, and the film also garnered an SAG Ensemble Nom (which is pretty impressive.)

'The Meyerowitz Stories' was said to be their acting push (Dustin Hoffman, Ben Stiller, and Adam Sandler.) But that film's buzz died early on.

So that just leaves the 'Bright' as their technical push. It's pretty talked about right now. But even If It gets nominated, It's not winning.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Not even that.

Since Netflix has been trying to turn into a producing studio. (Which they've gotten quite the bit of backlash for.) Coupled with that, and the industries overwhelming backlash against the aforementioned streaming service. Netflix have decided to go all out with their awards' campaigning this year. They usually get snubbed almost every year.

'Mudbound', is their biggest 'Best Picture' horse; they bought it at Sundance for $12.5 Million and they're pushing it for all the major categories this year: the film has received tons of critic mentions, It's gotten plenty of state nominations, Mary J. Blige has shown up at some of the industry precursors, and the film also garnered an SAG Ensemble Nom (which is pretty impressive.)

'The Meyerowitz Stories' was said to be their acting push (Dustin Hoffman, Ben Stiller, and Adam Sandler.) But that film's buzz died early on.

So that just leaves the 'Bright' as their technical push. It's pretty talked about right now. But even If It gets nominated, It's not winning.

What about Icarus for Documentary?

What about Icarus for Documentary?
I'm not sure. Netflix Stigma is pretty big within the industry. (ESPECIALLY for Awards.) I think they've gotten in for Documentary before. (Only because they played them in theatres.) But again, I might have to do some fact-checking and come back to you.

'City of Ghosts', is said to be the frontrunner this year. But don't be surprised If 'Strong Island' or 'Jane' somehow pulls one off.

Not sure I understand that, do you mean there's a stigma against Netflix films?
Yes. Which usually results in Awards' Snubs, year after year. It's mainly due to an overarching backlash against the streaming service itself.

The ultimate Oscar bait. How ironic.
Because... Gay Romance? I never thought I would say this: but how dare you.

The film is a rich, voluptuous masterpiece. A beautiful eclipse of youth, and finding oneself within first-love. And Timothée Chalamet perfectly illustrates that, in a beautifully subtle achievement. His type of performance reminds me of 'Casey Affleck' in 'Manchester By The Sea.'

All angry/triggered CMBYN stanning (from myself) aside: I think we can all agree that this year will be very female-centered, considering Harvey Weinstein and the plethora of sexual misconduct allegations.

The industry will choose perhaps their biggest and most politically-charged stage to showcase their response to this epidemic. So, expect 3BB or Lady Bird for the BP win. However (as of now), I'm putting my money on 'Lady Bird.' It's Written and Directed by a Female, and It's the more safe and accessible choice than the more polarizing Three Billboards. Although, I'd prefer a 3BB win.

Expect other categories to fall back on this controversy as well. As I'd also put my bottom dollar on 'Jane' winning Documentary. And maybe 'The Breadwinner' might overcome 'Coco?' But I'm not sure about that. Disney/Pixar are the most undeniable in the Animated Feature category. So we'll see I guess.

That being said, Oldman should have a hell of a lot more than 1 Oscar nom to his name at this point.
He should. Besides DDL: Oldman is probably my favorite actor. Adore that man and his talent.

But like I said earlier, they should've rewarded him years ago. If they do this, and end up screwing over Chalamet for his brilliant performance, they're repeating this Ridiculous Cycle.

Like when they screwed over Denzel Washington for Best Actor in 1993, just to reward Al Pacino for (may I add) one of his lesser performances. Which is also similar to when they screwed over Al Pacino FOR THE GODFATHER PART II, in favor of Art Carney in 'Harry and Tonto.' Also, I REALLY LOVED IT when they rewarded Denzel several years after the aforementioned snub (plus a second with 'The Hurricane')--by rewarding him for 'Training Day', screwing over Russell Crowe for his superb performance in 'A Beautiful Mind.' Who (may I add) won for 'Gladiator' a year before that, only because he was snubbed for 'The Insider.'

FUN FACT: Russell Crowe and Denzel were nominated the same year for 'The Hurricane' and 'The Insider' when they were both beaten by Kevin Spacey.

Granted, I believe Spacey was more deserving than them. But If I were to change history and hand either of the two the Oscar: I probably would. Plus, the Public, and (more importantly) the Academy didn't think Spacey was deserving... even after the latter rewarded the f**king guy while in the moment of ‘American Beauty’s’ Awards’ Cleanup. "OOPS, WE SCREWED UP! HERE'S YOUR STATUES! WE'RE SO SORRY!"

But I suppose It's neat to reward an undeserved veteran... I guess? I can't wait for Timothée Chalamet to win an Oscar for playing Franklin Roosevelt in about 40 years, over a more deserving performance.

Welcome to the human race...
I was joking about Bright winning Best Makeup (a joke made in reference to last year's winner being David Ayer's previous movie Suicide Squad).

Still not sure where exactly "gay romance" ranks on the Oscar-bait spectrum, though it certainly seems lower than either biopic or WWII. Aside from Brokeback Mountain and Moonlight, it's hard to think of too many major successes that this particular type of film has had at the Oscars themselves.

I don't think i've seen a rating above
for it yet from people i tend to listen to. Sean gave it
, you
, not surprised as like i said in its thread i had already heard mixed things about it a while ago.
At this point...the Oscar films I would have it as

3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Logan

All the Money in the World

Dunkirk

Coco

Lady Bird

Killing of a Sacred Deer

Beatrix at Dinner

Mudbound

Get Out

The Big Sick