Movie Tab II

Tools    

Fair enough, well I loved it. What are your favourite silent movies?
I haven't seen many silent films, really, so I wouldn't say I have a favorite.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I won't be watching too many films for a week or so, so I'll post what I've seen so far. It's not much, though.

A Portrait of Ga -

Chainsaw Maid -

Black Ice -

What an interesting trio of shorts I've seen lately. The first one is an artistic look at an old woman. There's something beautiful in it. The second is a crazy black comedy/splatter combination. I laughed hard on it and I rarely ever laugh watching movies. It's so senseless it's cool. The last one is just two minutes of glazing colours - one of dozens Brakhage experiments. I must be crazy to rate it so high, but it's really nice, I mean how all the hues flicker and stuff.

Swan Lake: The Zone -

It's very grim and sad. It starts like a dystopian sci-fi flick, showing a skinny character, who wanders around a desert-like place, but it's only one of many metaphors to be found in this movie. I could write a short synopsis, but I don't really want to ruin your experience, guys (come on, will any of you ever watch it?). It's nothing special technically, but the movie has a weird mood and mysterious sequences in it, while not ceasing to be incredibly realistic. I even wanted to bump the rating to make more people see it, but finally didn't do it as it would be unfair to other better four star films. Still, I am amazed and looking forward to more Ilyenko films!

I Am Twenty -

Just finished this almost 3-hour-long coming-of-age drama. It was quite an experience given its length and quality. It's about 20-something people and therefore it was very close to my heart. It beautifully shows such things as life, love, friendship and resposibilites. It's not too artsy if you know what I mean, but more realistic in its form, perhaps kinda idealistic in substance, but heart-warming and honest. It's got really amazing camera work that reminded me of films such as The Cranes are Flying and I Am Cuba. The ending made me cry, but it wasn't a cheap soppy melodrama tearjerker like many would've thought. The main protagonist was kind of like James Dean, but subjectively I liked him more than Dean's Jim Stark character. The moment when he smiles in a tram is priceless - there's a true happiness radiating from his face. To figure out why he's so happy either watch the movie yourself (highly recommended) or read the spoiler section of my post (mild spoilers, but still).

WARNING: "I Am Twenty" spoilers below
A brilliant scene in a tram involves the main protagonist and a girl he just saw sitting next to a man in glasses. He sits across from them and observes the girl who's reading a book. You can see he's interested in her, but isn't sure whether the man sitting next to her is her fiance, boyfriend or just a random guy. The tram stops and the man leaves the seat. The amount of happiness and excitement seen on boy's face is simply gorgeous. Even the girl seems to be smiling secretively while still pretending to read. Beautiful.

The movie has more scenes like this, which are simply fabulous. The last scenes made me cry like a baby. Truly a Soviet gem this movie is (they have a lot of them, actually).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Who the hell gives Sherlock Jr. a
?
I mean, what's not to like?
Well, it's slapstick comedy and it's Keaton, so there's that for a start.

Well, it's slapstick comedy and it's Keaton, so there's that for a start.
It is Keaton, but better than anything else from him, on epic proportions

It is Keaton, but better than anything else from him, on epic proportions
I've only seen Sherlock Jr. and The General but both were great, especially the first. I want to watch Our Hospitality and Steamboat Bill, Jr., but I honestly don't see why someone wouldn't love Sherlock Jr..

I'll write more about it when I do a tab post, but it really was a joy to watch to me, Keaton's style completely fits the medium of film, and the stunts and way that scenes are constructed fantastically using objects and on screen tricks are great, there's so much to love about it, when he enters the film on screen, the house scene, the chase at the end etc.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Best Man aka Unhitched (Stefan Schwartz, 2005)

The Bounty Hunter (Andre De Toth, 1954)

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969)

The Iron Giant (Brad Bird, 1999)

The Only Thrill (Peter Masterson, 1997)

The Son of No One (Dito Montiel, 2011)

Rust and Bone (Jacques Audiard, 2012)
-
49th Parallel (Michael Powell, 1941)

Prom Night (J.S. Cardone, 2008)
+
The Princess Stallion (Mark Haber, 1997)

Rock My World aka Global Heresy (Sidney J. Furie, 2002)
-
The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999)
+

Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius (Rowdy Herrington, 2004)
-
Bombardier (Richard Wallace, 1943)

Janie Gets Married (Vincent Sherman, 1946)

A Prophet (Jacques Audiard, 2009)

Simpatico (Matthew Warchus, 1999)

Pit Pony (Eric Till, 1997)

Money Talks (Brett Ratner, 1997)

Rush Hour (Brett Ratner, 1998)
+

I love both The Iron Giant (desperately needs a re watch) and A Prophet The only other one I have seen is Rush Hour which I'd also give a similar rating, good enjoyable fun

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
This Gun For Hire
(1942) Now, technically, I give this movie a 2.5 due to most of the acting going on with Veronica Lake and several others. Alan Ladd as the framed killer was okay but the star and who's performance kicked it up to a 3 was Laird Cregar as Williard Gates. Playing a double-crosser who abhors violence was an absolute joy to watch.

So much so I did a search on IMDB for him for other flicks, one I have seen, Black Swan, and one I'm curious to see Hangover Square and the the following, which I have always wanted to see and finally have

Heaven Can Wait (1943)
where he plays the Devil (IMDB labels him as His Excellency) who listens to Don Ameche's life story so he may decide if he will allow him into hell. This also stars Gene Tierney and the always delightful Charles Coburn, along with a few cameos from former Little Rascals Scotty Becket and Dickie Moore who play Ameche's character at 9 and 15 yrs old.
The movie is quaint, sentimental, innocent and a joy to watch.

House of Tolerance (French 2011)
An art house movie my roomate found on the Sundance channel regardign a parisian brothel at the birth of the twentieth century.
The best impression I can describe is a surface of a pool where every ripple is expressed with terrible clarity. It is beautiful and morose with equal poetic measure

I know right? I wonder if I need to see the series first...
You don't, it's a self contained 4 hour movie divided into two parts. I guess, however, that this is not a movie that appeals to a broad spectrum of people. You can import it for the modest price of 110 dollars from Japan to the US. It was completely worth it for me but I don't think that most people would love that movie that much.

I loved it because it is absurdly ludicrous (it has even the concept of the slow death of the universe due to the second law of thermodynamics as a plot element) and takes itself strictly seriously. I have never seem something as ludicrous as that movie, hence I never seem something as good. Miyazaki's films now look like are kiddie crap after this.

Del Toro also liked these movies:

I have House of Tolerance recorded, but have yet to watch it.
I recommend it, if that means anything.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think Lost in Translation is borderline better, but it depends on my mood. The narration in Suicides probably tips it to Lost most days. Air's music is good in Suicides though.