Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I turned it off after 30 minutes, went to IMDb and realized that many others had too. Maybe I'll try to finish it one day (but I doubt it)
Same here. I even knew it was really bad going in (I'd seen some reviews before hand) and was already prepared to see a terrible movie. I think I made it about 40 minutes in. I planned to go back and finish watching it, but I also doubt I ever will.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The St. Louis Kid - 6/10

I watched this because it's only 67 minutes, has James Cagney in it, and to eat away a tiny bit of space on the DVR. Notice the movies right after 1932 always have some left-wing populism (FDR)... Even a judge lets a guy go because he hit a guy who headed a milk company - Cagney talks about hard-working people, low wages, etc... Also in the 30s you'll notice is the contempt for authority.

To compare to modern politics, another 30s movie "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" - the public is amazed because just ONE man in Congress was corrupt. Now it's expected.

The Story of Louis Pasteur (1936)

French chemist unlocks the mysteries of microscopic bacteria as he cures anthrax & rabies during the 19th century.

I really enjoyed this little bio-pic. Maybe I just found the subject matter more interesting and others might not find a movie about historical science as engaging. But I thought it was a well made & well acted film. There are some movies from this era that I can't get into, but this held my interest from start to finish. It's a fairly simple period piece running at just under an hour and a half.
This isn't a visually stunning or epic movie (although the discoveries it deals with were epic in the course of medical history) but I learned some things from it, trusting that it was factual. It's a drama, but contains some moments of very subtle humor - like Pasteur trying to teach a medical doctor how to "scrub up" - a standard action of medical hygiene we take for granted these days.

P.S. Appearance in the film by Dickie Moore - one of the Little Rascals!

That's the problem I had. There was little things that worked well and yet, not sure why, things kept coming up a near miss. May be my hopes were really high being a big fan of Mitchum or maybe I need a rewatch and see if those near misses were on my perception. . .
Apparently Preminger had a really difficult time working with the studio to get it done, but he was contractually obliged. He absolutely hated working with Marilyn Monroe, and Mitchum struggled with alcoholism at the time. The studio wanted a classic revenge tale in usual Western style, whilst Preminger's vision and shooting style was different. Apparently he didn't care too much how it turned out and let the studio edit it how they wished. Strange because I love Westerns, Otto Preminger, Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe, so it could have been fantastic, I guess it's just one of those things.

Welcome to the human race...
No way, they are probably in order of release in my opinion...

Well, first is definitely the best.
Perhaps, though the third does give it a relatively good run for its money. At least it's got a handful of good character actors chewing the scenery and at least tries to tone down the sheer awfulness of the second (even if it doesn't remove it entirely).

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)

-

I watched some of this movie one night, got tired, and shut it off. When I woke up, I thought I watched a good amount of it, but noticed I only watched a half hour so I restarted it. It moves very quickly, sometimes feeling like it's in fast forward. A lot happens for a movie that's just shy of 90 minutes long, and that certainly keeps it entertaining. There's a lot of misdirection that happens with the story. What I really loved about it was the characters/performances. The four leads all bring something different, and I'd have to say that George played by Glenn Anders was my favorite. It's filmed beautifully and I loved the dialogue as well.

Okay. Since my man, Adam Wingard, screwed up his otherwise promising career, it looks like I better turn to a new up-and-comer...

Ever since I saw Oculus directed by Mike Flanagan, I've been excited for this man's career and what he does next. Hush is not nearly as original or well-crafted, but it's a lot fun, it's intense and it's exciting. It has enough of a twist on the home invasion genre to make it all a little different and it has enough talent behind and in front of the camera to keep me interested throughout. Not free from clichés and not without flaws, but very well made in its genre.

-

Fatal Attraction (1987) -

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Scarlet Empress

Pure, unadulterated style. A sensuous, gorgeous and wickedly morbid marvel from one of cinema's great stylists.

The Story of Louis Pasteur (1936)

French chemist unlocks the mysteries of microscopic bacteria as he cures anthrax & rabies during the 19th century.

I really enjoyed this little bio-pic. Maybe I just found the subject matter more interesting and others might not find a movie about historical science as engaging. But I thought it was a well made & well acted film. There are some movies from this era that I can't get into, but this held my interest from start to finish. It's a fairly simple period piece running at just under an hour and a half.
This isn't a visually stunning or epic movie (although the discoveries it deals with were epic in the course of medical history) but I learned some things from it, trusting that it was factual. It's a drama, but contains some moments of very subtle humor - like Pasteur trying to teach a medical doctor how to "scrub up" - a standard action of medical hygiene we take for granted these days.

P.S. Appearance in the film by Dickie Moore - one of the Little Rascals!
Count me as one of the people who really liked this film and for the same reasons you did, the subject matter is interesting. Good to see this unknown film get some recognition here.

Gotta love how terrible Papagallo is at trolling. Absolutely noone takes notice of him
An update, i received this in a PM from Papa G (PM Title: So What!):

My new favourite terrible troll member

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Stranger Than Paradise - 8/10

Very good! I read the movie was about a cousin from Budapest coming over for a week. And I watched two other Jarmusch movies, but started Broken Flowers, then Mystery Train.. Seems like the earlier, the better.

Odd Man Out (1947)

In Ireland, James Mason plays the leader of this little IRA type of group. They commit a robbery, Mason kills a guy, and is himself shot in the arm. He gets separated from the rest and hides out while bleeding to death. I like Mason as an actor, but he spends most of this hunched over waiting to die. All of the supporting characters are ok, but none stand out. It's a well crafted movie that's beautifully shot, yet I found it bland at times except for a few good scenes.