Beale's official review of The League (Some Spoilers!!!!!)

→ in
Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I was really worried about this movie. I had read plenty of reviews that said it was horrible, and I was beginning to loose hope. I decided to check it out and see for myself.

In the end I thought it was pretty cool.

Not nearly as bad as what the critics say IMO.

Lets get a few things settled:

This is NOT a plot movie. It is a summer popcorn movie.

Don't go in expecting anything, but at the very least don't expect it to have a great plot. Just sit back, and watch the eye candy.

This film is mainly 7 different ways to kick butt.

Comments:

I was pleasantly surprised.

The script needed some work.

Sets were beautiful.

Acting really wasn't all that bad. I'd even go so far as to say good. Not Oscar quality, but good.

Very end was weak. (Not if there is a sequel....but it doesn't look like there will be one)

Loved the showdowns at the end. (So many great fights!)

Action was well done.

I liked the true reason for why the League was assembled. It was a much better twist than the identity of the Fantom or who the real traitor was. (Mind this wasn’t really a twist, just something that was well done).

Plot needed some work, sometimes in major ways.

There needed to be 10-15 minutes more of character development, if not more. I looked at this two different ways:
1)I didn't really feel for any of the characters in a major way at the end.
2)The characters were given enough description so that I knew at least to some degree how each character thought, and it paid off during the final action sequences. (Although it wasn't enough, it was adequate for entertainments sake).

Too many explosions, but not nearly as many as I thought there would be.

Moriarty looked too young, and his character wasn't described well, but I liked his addition.

I thought the villains, although a little ambiguous, were "good".

I didn't mind Mina not being Mina all that much. (And much to my surprise might I add).

I didn't really like the Mina/Allan interactions at the beginning, but that was minor.

The overall feel of the film could've been improved, but I still loved the way the film looked. (I that makes sense)

Some of the continuity is pretty messed up, such as Mina being able to walk around in the sunlight, and Skinner being burnt badly and then being fine in the next scene. (The Mina bit is the only thing that really bothered me, but if I wanted to, I could probably think up something that enabled her to walk around. One such explanation would be that in the original book Dracula, Dracula was able to walk around, just in a weakened form. I still think they should’ve explained it more).

The Dante character needed much more of a part.

I (surprisingly) didn’t mind Sawyer. I might go so far as to say I liked him in it.

Some small plot holes, (but I really didn’t mind them for the most part).

The idea, although in plenty of ways poorly executed (or at least not executed in the ways it should’ve been), is highly original.

Loved the Easter eggs (for instance, the posters mentioning Mars and the authors of LoEG).

I thought the effects were well done, especially for The Invisible Man and Hyde (who, for my money looked better than the Hulk. And I loved the Hulk).

The League kicked major butt! Every character had a different style of beating their enemies down. We got a great look at each of them.

Glad Nemo wasn’t James Mason.

The gadgets, with the exception of the video, which they were somehow able to play, weren’t over done, and were believable (if not close to being so).

I really missed Griffin, but I liked Skinner, and I thought Dorian did a good job of replacing Griffin (in a sense).

Final thoughts/Rating:

I enjoyed the movie.

On movie standards, I’d give it either a 2.5 or a 3 out of 4. On popcorn movie standards (which is really what this movie should be judged on) it is a 3.5 to 4 out of 4. (Two side-notes: 1) In my mind, there is a distinct difference between a good movie and a good popcorn movie. While a good popcorn movie should still be a good movie in order to be liked by me, it is a much better movie when held on popcorn movie standards. I liked this film both ways; although I firmly believe most will only appreciate the film given they look at it as a popcorn film. 2) I said I’d give up number ratings, and I intend to, but I believe it is needed in this instance.)

Advice: Don’t think too hard and enjoy the eye candy.

I hope there will be a sequel, although it doesn’t look like there will be one at this point with all of the bad reviews, and negative word of mouth as a result of the bad reviews.

I am a huge fan of the original League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic, and I still found the movie very enjoyable despite the differences. (It may be that my love of the concept of the movie makes me a little biased, but in any event, I liked it).

Bottom Line:

It isn’t what it should’ve been, make no mistake, but what it is, is a great popcorn film.

It was beauty killed the beast.
It sounds like Kong wouldn't dig it, but Kong is going to see it some time this week, and he'll let you know what he thought then.

Kong does take into account a movie's genre when giving it a rating, but Kong isn't as forgiving as you seem to be when it comes to popcorn movies. Kong isn't that excited by fights and explosions so a decent plot, good heroes, and good (or should one say, "bad") villains are generally a must for Kong. Oh, and it can't be too insulting either.

I know what you mean. Pretty much everything is up my alley. I love a good popcorn film as much....you know, my taste thing again.

I do hope you like it though Kong.

One question:
WARNING: "The end of LXG" spoilers below
A friend of Kong's said that he was watching The Today Show and they had an interview of Sean Connery about LXG. Apparently Matt Lauer (spelling?) asked Connery if he was going to do a sequel and Connery said something along the lines of, "I die in the end so there won't be a sequel." on live television! Kong's friend said that Matt Lauer looked stunned and reminded Connery it was live. Anyway, Kong was just curious if this actually happens at the end or if Connery was trying to throw people for a loop.

Semi-Spoilers

WARNING: "The end of LXG" spoilers below
He is doing both actually. It upset me at first when I learned it, but it wasn't at all like I expected.

I highly suggest not reading this one. Don't do it unless you absolutely have to know the ending. Stay away!

WARNING: "What happens at the end. Check out the other one if you don't want to know the ending!!!" spoilers below
He was throwing people for a loop in a way, because he doesn't die. But in another way he isn't, because he is killed. One of the things he says early in they movie is a bit about how Africa won't let him die, because of a witch doctor, etc. In the end, after being killed, he is taken back and buried, but in the very very last moments of the movie, Africa brings him back to life.

Well, Kong saw it, and Kong really didn't like it.

Although the concept is fairly cool, the execution just plain stunk. Instead of developing the characters they simply resort to namedropping in the hope that their literary reputations will suffice, but it certainly doesn't. Because of this, most of the performances feel rather bland with the exceptions of Peta Wilson (Mina) and Stuart Townsend (Dorain) who have enough charisma to be entertaining, and Shane West (Sawyer) who just sucked outright.

The gadgets are pretty cool, but they are placed in ridiculous places. How can that massive ship go through the shallow canals? How did the tank get into downtown London without anyone knowing? Etc. On the same general note, the special effects had rather mixed success. Skinner was done well, but Hyde looked absurd, and many of the explosions looked a bit phony as well.

As far as the plot goes it's not too good. It's just a team of superheros fighting a rather boring villain and his cronies. Bealle thought the true reason for the league's creation was a good one, but Kong thought it stretched logic too far to be taken seriously.

Kong could complain more, but what's the use. It's a lazy film; therefore there is no reason to work to hard in dissecting it.

*1/2 of ****

Right after I saw this, I was a bit disappointed but then it dawned on me I had just seen Pirates and might have been a little spoiled… so I thought about it a little more… there are some really cool scenes … the characters, though not well developed, were interesting and the actors managed to breath life into them even though the script needed work… all in all a good popcorn movie and I really liked the ending…

I hope we start seeing more of Townsend… he’s really good…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

For the most part, those are my thoughts exactly.

Not a classic, but fun.

Pirates is better though.

For my b-day i was going to take some friends to see this show becouse no one in my group has seen it. But my dad saw it and said it stunk so would you recomend seeing it or not

Thedarkjames

Yes, but given the choice between Pirates, T3, or LXG, see Pirates. If you've seen that, see T3, and if you've seen that, see LXG.