How do you feel about violence in movies?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I just find it so absurd that it's funny.

I was maybe 20 when I saw the original. I was sharing with my bro and his wife and bro got the tape - yeah way back then. His wife went to bed and we stayed up drinking beers and laughing. The rape scene, though, I still remember it. yeah it was absurd, but I think my reaction to it was a bit primordial, like when a guy reacts to a fictional character having his balls sliced off.

For me, it went a bit far. But yeah, I felt destroyed after enduring that film
Oh yeah it sure does, but i read interviews with the director prior so watched it as a political commentary rather than as an OTT snuff simulation. Really emotionally affected me, but I watched it again just to push the bruise, if you know what I mean. It's a well made film for that genre (except the baby rape. That just looked ridiculous but I think Spasojevic did that on purpose because it really is too much). the ending had me in tears just about. Gut wrenching.

Well...if someone continually kicks the back of my seat, I think it's justified
LMAO. That is gold. I fully concur.

Earl got me thinking about something. 2 streams to this slight hijack.

1. People who say violence in film, music, games make people commit violence are off their rockers. I've never killed anyone in my life, either has my husband and he loves games like GTA, and in his teen years was a death metal head.

2. Kicking the back of your seat, sniffing snot incessantly rather than blow your nose right behind another cinema goer, talking or using phones during a movie - that's what gives people violent thoughts.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Depends on the context, the way it's done, the way the director chooses to portray it.
BINGO!

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Love it me. The more violence the better for me.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Man I love this topic.

Now to me that is quite amusing, 1. You're not actually seeing a great deal. 2. It's bug bunny kind of funny and when I was a little kid Bugs Bunny was my idol. 3. Incongruous music added to a violent scene (two girl next door girls listening to death metal) just makes it woop ass funny - I laughed at the violence in A Clockwork Orange when classical music was played, and at the time didn't understand the audience reaction (including my own).

Tarentino's squibs are funny, especially when combined with his taste in music which I really like.

I'll see if I can find the opening scene of american horror story. Two little turds violently vandalising a house but the music is so cute. I love it.

As with most things I can see different sides.

I knew I was a bit different when I was little because I would always linger in thought about the henchmen so callously mowed down in James Bond films... who were they? Did they have families waiting for them to come home? Were they truly evil or did they just make a bad career choice? Perhaps they were extorted into working for super criminals by having their families threatened? And would their families ever know how they died? What would their funerals be like?
And would James Bond or the British Secret Service ever give a second thought to these men's children?

I can't find a YT but it's two evil ginger twins bashing the crap our of a beautiful old derelict house with baseball bats to the sound of The Lennon sisters Tonight You Belong To Me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I remember that opening scene with the kids and the song. Very good.

I think I'm about even keel with the rest of this topic. Thoroughly enjoy the violence of action/war/western movies and some of the more darker flicks done with a certain twisted humor to it. Like Repo Men and the like.

Realistic violence I cringe at. Can't do it, won't do it. Grindhouse-esque violence and torture/horror I have trouble with as well.

Also, the rape scene in Evil Dead freaked me out as a kid but I do chuckle at it now. Another funny rape scene (attempted rape) is near the end of Costner's Prince of Thieves when the Sheriff forces Maid Marian's legs apart with his own. I always do laugh at that.

Last night I was in the movie theaters watching John Wick 2 (DAMN GOOD MOVIE). I realize that I'm not just a big fan of violence but I also start laugh with ultraviolent deaths. I was laughing alone in the theaters with every death of John Wick. Some guys was looking to me like if I was some kind of 'weirdo' (I don't care). It was not the first time but it was the first time that I realize that. My mother hates! My girfriend, friends etc just feel some kind of discomfort with ultraviolent deaths and gore. So, what about you guys? discomfort? Indifferent? Or you just start laugh like me...

I think that as long as the violence fits the movie then I am fine with it. While I have not seen John Wick 2 I have watched the original and have to say that while the violence is very high it is also very unrealistic and is not designed to have any sort of impact it is almost cartoon like. Compare the violence in say John Wick and compare that to say the curb stomp scene in American History X and the impact is completely different on me, while I might well laugh at someone getting killed in John Wick I would not laugh at that scene in American History X. So it depends on the tone of film and context for me I guess.

It's hard to say. I found very disturbing I Spit on Your Grave, on the other hand I love to watch Jungfrukällan aka The Virgin Spring again . They both involve rape, murder, revenge, however it all depends how the filmmaker depict it and put it in context.

versus

Last night I was in the movie theaters watching John Wick 2 (DAMN GOOD MOVIE). I realize that I'm not just a big fan of violence but I also start laugh with ultraviolent deaths. I was laughing alone in the theaters with every death of John Wick. Some guys was looking to me like if I was some kind of 'weirdo' (I don't care). It was not the first time but it was the first time that I realize that. My mother hates! My girfriend, friends etc just feel some kind of discomfort with ultraviolent deaths and gore. So, what about you guys? discomfort? Indifferent? Or you just start laugh like me...

Well, violence in movies often goes hand in hand with special effects, makeup etc, and I LOVE that aspect of things. My boyfriend smiles every time I'm bitching about how boring aI'm finding a movie, and then someone's head explodes and I exclaim "EXPLODING HEAD!!" ...and then all's right with the world again.

Edit to concur on the American History X curb stomp scene. I don't crow at scenes like that, but I do in movies like Gamer. A "meh" movie at best (made better with at least one fantastic exploding head).

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Excellent topic.

Depending on the context, violence can be very entertaining. What's a Kung Fu film without some well thought out fights?
There is also the point in which violence is used to make the viewer uncomfortable or/disgusted/sad. On the other hand like Miss Vicky said, rape stuff can also be goofy [depending of context].

I prefer the strength of suggestion of some violent stuff to full on ultraviolence depiction. They seem to work better when the intention is to make you feel something negative

I think we should remember the difference beetwen violence, and brutality. When two capable people fight it is violent but it does not make me queasy or anything. I dislike watching a movie when one side is clearly far more powerful and is just torturing the other.
So for example- brutal movie about fighting is great. brutal movie about person beating a child- disturbing.

Well, violence in movies often goes hand in hand with special effects, makeup etc, and I LOVE that aspect of things. My boyfriend smiles every time I'm bitching about how boring aI'm finding a movie, and then someone's head explodes and I exclaim "EXPLODING HEAD!!" ...and then all's right with the world again.
LOL. I was like that in Drive. Nothing happening, nothing happening, nothing happening...then I got blown off the lounge.

Edit to concur on the American History X curb stomp scene. I don't crow at scenes like that, but I do in movies like Gamer. A "meh" movie at best (made better with at least one fantastic exploding head
).
Brutal. I was horrified. I can't even remember if it was graphic or the stomp itself was off screen but I felt ill. Once again a lot of it comes down to sound for me. If the sound fx are right, stuff like that makes me very green.