Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A movie in 3 parts, each about 2 hours long. A bit of a slog, to say the least, and quite a lot lost in translation. But I persevered & quite enjoyed parts 1 & 2. Will watch part 3 later this week.

Unlocked (2017) - 6/10

Good Time

I just saw this in theaters, and it was brilliant. I was interested because it was a cannes selection and the trailer looked decent, but it vastly surpassed my expectations. The plot was so unpredictable. The way they delivered the opening credits was unlike anything I've seen before, dispersed through the first act. Some movies have an opening scene and then credits, but this kept dispersing them gracefully over multiple scenes. I never knew where the plot would take me next. I never expected how a single scene would unfold. It was a very intelligent and creative film. There were a few camera shots that perplexed me. How did they film the car driving from a helicopter view for so long? Did they rent a helicopter? But the shot started lower, went up high, and followed the car a while. I don't know how they filmed it. Overall it was a great movie, extremely realistic, emotional, and beautiful. The music sometimes reminded me of The Neon Demon.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I havent heard of the invitation. Will check it out.

Todo sobre mi madre [All About My Mother] (Pedro Almodóvar, 1999)

All about the acting, writing and direction

Hell or High Water (2016)
... The supporting characters are all great, some providing wry humor, especially the crabby old waitress the lawmen meet up with. The cinematography is beautiful all along the way, whether it be in the scrub brush riddled countryside of Texas (actually New Mexico), or the small, sleepy towns along the way, with the beautiful paintbrush of the photography really bringing the color of these locations to vivid life. The soundtrack, with the hard-edged country songs playing, are perfect for whatever is happening onscreen, whether the lyrics go along with the scene or not...the music is the key and it's perfect. There's nary a wasted moment in the movie. Every scene adds to the story from start to finish. A great movie.
I agree. This is a very fine film-- my favorite of '16. IMO Jeff Bridges should have won the Oscar (as if they ever make any sense). But the film wasn't P.C. enough...

~Doc

The Good Times

I just saw this in theaters, and it was brilliant. ...

I couldn't find this title. Is there perhaps another name? What year was it made? Thanks.

~Doc

Viceroy's House

Lord Louis Mountbatten was given the unenviable position of being the final viceroy of India under British Colonial rule, interesting from a historical standpoint with many real life figures including Gandhi, a sub plot of a Sikh/Muslim romance I felt was a bit watery and added on, Gillian Anderson is good as Battens tireless wife who want's India to remain one nation.

Welcome to the human race...
Close Encounters of the Third Kind -

I can't believe Steven Spielberg invented the orange-and-teal colour palette.

Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

Wind River (2017)

The Lion King (1994)

IT. A bunch of kids in the late 80s come to the terrifying realisation that their small town plays home to a demonic entity that feeds on children in part one of an intended 2-part adaptation of the Stephen King horror bestseller. IT has been filmed before, of course, as a TV mini-series back in 1990 (27 years ago, rather deliciously the same length of time in which IT hibernates between each killing spree). What worked then were the kid cast and Tim Curry as the Pennywise the Clown manifestation of IT; what didn't work as well were the adult cast playing the older version of the kids and the general execution, which was was often a bit TV Movie lame. The good news is the new kids and the new Pennywise live up to their predecessors, while the film leaves out the adult aspect entirely (presumably for the second film) and the execution is undeniably just all round better, classier, and scarier. The late 80s setting and vibe is also very nice. All in all the new IT is a more than worthy effort and a very entertaining horror flick.

Baby Driver (2017) - Edgar Wright

- Brilliant. Love it. Entertaining and amazing ride all-way through. Direction is top-notch, acting is astounding and storyline is badass. Cannot wait for the rewatch. Awesomeness.

Thanks for your kind comments, Movie Meditation and GulfportDoc. I appreciate it and was truly enthralled by the movie the whole way. Might be a DVD buy for me. I'm appreciating Ben Foster more and more, and it seems like his movies are popping up on cable all the time lately, even his early ones. Thanks again!

The People That Time Forgot (1977, Kevin Connor)

Dana Gillespie's boobs were the most interesting thing about this film.

Still fun, in a cheesy kind of way.