Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Make a better place
I like Alien and I'm not a sci-fi fan, really. Never seen Blade Runner, though, so can't comment on that.
thanks for the comment Jack

Blade Runner is a masterpiece. My favourite American sci-fi. I rate it

I'm not a fan of Alien and think it's inferior to BR, so maybe you're gonna like it.

I stopped watching The Fall after half an hour. It wasn't terrible, but the overall tone of the film felt like Hollywoodish stuff for popcorn-eating brats. Haha. I lost my interest and watched an arthouse flick instead. So much better.

It was so tempting to scold you for not liking Blade Runner but I chose to brag about my hipness instead.
how different can people's taste in movie be !!
now this is an encouragement for me to watch Alien
I appreciate your comment Minio

I knew this was coming
honestly I was frightened to post my rating after seeing The Sci-fi slob's avatar

I'm not much of a fan of Ridley's either, but Alien is OK. I didn't used to like it at all, but it's watchable for me now. It's very different to Blade Runner, though, so don't let that stop you. I'm with you on Blade Runner, BTW, but everyone here knows that.
I think we have much common in cinema, this what I noticed from your earlier posts. You Rock honeykid

Definitely watch Alien, Pippo! Watch it for me!
it was between Black Rain & Alien, now Alien will be my next Ridley movie, Thanks Swan

Glad you enjoyed it! I thought the little girl was adorable too, and she didn't seem unnaturally smart like most movies, she actually talked and acted like a regular little girl.
yeah, your review encouraged me to watch it sooner , and you are right about reason why this kid is so adorable. Now I'm aware of the reason

I totally agree with Blade Runner I found it mediocre at best, I like Alien for its simplicity and the whole seeing less makes the movie more intense works well in this movie.
another member agrees with the Blade Runner thing , and confirms that Alien is different kind of movie, thank u

I Spit on Your Grave 2 (2013)

Not much to say about this other than it is effective in the sick and disturbing department. Everyone knows what kind of movie it is; you either like these movies or you don't. I do, and thought it was decent.

I Spit on Your Grave 2 (2013)

Not much to say about this other than it is effective in the sick and disturbing department. Everyone knows what kind of movie it is; you either like these movies or you don't. I do, and thought it was decent.

Far be it from me to advertise my blog, but here's my review.

The Lost Weekend (1945)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've always kind of thought it was the opposite.
Knowledge helps you seeing things you normally don't see. The more wisdom and both practical and theoretical experience the greater knowledge about the world around you. Boredom comes from the lack of ability to focus on certain things. If you have no idea what certain things mean you most of the time ignore them, so you don't pay much attention to them and eventually get bored. Of course there are snobs and parvenus who delve into high art only to brag about it or feel better than the others and mental people like me who could contemplate a still picture. It's perfectly okay to dislike a certain film, but to reject the high art and call it boring is only to show ignorance.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Knowledge helps you seeing things you normally don't see. The more wisdom and both practical and theoretical experience the greater knowledge about the world around you. Boredom comes from the lack of ability to focus on certain things. If you have no idea what certain things mean you most of the time ignore them, so you don't pay much attention to them and eventually get bored. Of course there are snobs and parvenus who delve into high art only to brag about it or feel better than the others and mental people like me who could contemplate a still picture. It's perfectly okay to dislike a certain film, but to reject the high art and call it boring is only to show ignorance.
That sounds good and all but I just have a different perspective. I think the smarter you are, the more you need to stimulate you, while if you're not as smart, you may be more easily interested/entertained. When I watch a movie, I'm counting on that movie to give me something. Rejecting high art is a different argument. And also, knowledge has nothing to do with intelligence.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That sounds good and all but I just have a different perspective. I think the smarter you are, the more you need to stimulate you, while if you're not as smart, you may be more easily interested/entertained.
Yeah that works for mainstream cinema for popcorn eaters, but on the other hand if you know something about philosophy you may be more interested in a movie about Nietzsche. You'd get a lot more from it too.

And also, knowledge has nothing to do with intelligence.
Of course it does. Sure, knowledge is not the same thing as intelligence, but it's easier for intelligent people to gain wisdom. I don't agree you can measure your intelligence. All these IQ tests don't really convince me. To me intelligence is almost unmeasurable and only a long time spent in the company of a person gives you an idea of the overall intelligence of that person.

Toy Story (1995)

Really excellent movie, but as a kid's movie, it can only go so far for me. There are kid's movies I love, but I saw them when I was young, so there's a nostalgia factor.

The second one is much better in my opinion.

Um, I was being sarcastic. I very rarely think I am smarter than anyone. Since the conversation started thoughI will ask Minio, do you think Beehive is higher art? If so what am I missing? Here was my take: Frankenstein is a metaphor for God, the beehive is a metaphor for human kind. While I disagree with the first premise vehemently, I can live with it. Why I felt I got bored with the movie is he chose not to expound on these themes at all. We basically get the theme with no insight as to why the writer or characters feel that way. Disagree?

Yeah that works for mainstream cinema for popcorn eaters, but on the other hand if you know something about philosophy you may be more interested in a movie about Nietzsche. You'd get a lot more from it too.
Again, you're not talking about intelligence.

it's easier for intelligent people to gain wisdom.
Of course, it's easier to do anything when you're more intelligent.

I still believe that the less intelligent you are, the easier it is to capture your interest. Smart people can easily become bored.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Blade Runner (1982)

I never thought of myself as a science fiction fan... I can say I never found anything special about Back to the Future (please, don't kill me) and, though I enjoy Star Wars, I would never say it's one of my favourites... However, in the last weeks I watched 3 movies that made me think twice: 2001: a Space Odissey, Alien and now Blade Runner.

What a blast! It's so beautifully shot, the soundtrack is mesmerizing and, even it has a very slow pace, it's really intense!

I absolutely loved the lightning and the colours that are used in every single moment of the film!

Oh, and it's interesting to observe how Ridley Scott imagined 2019...

I now understand Sci-Fi Slob's avatar! Rachel is an amazing character!

Masterpiece!

10/10

Sanjuro (1962)

Very good all around movie, but besides the lead actor, I didn't find it to be exceptional in any way. I think maybe I'm having unreasonably expectations going into Kurosawa movies, leading to disappointment.

Make a better place
I had a relatively bad movies day, I watched two movies, the first was okay, the second was bad I guess

The Sentinel 2006

or
tops

not a good movie, yet not a bad one.

I had to watch it because I'm a Michael Douglas fan, and after all I'm glad I watched it.

Bernie 2011

I watched it because of Mcconaughey and of course Linklater, I can't stand him, Though it's the only Linklater film that doesn't feel like a Linklater film at all , also Mcconaughey seemed different here.

It's a change for both of them, but to me it didn't work, and I expected a much better movie from those two.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Bernie 2011

I watched it because of Mcconaughey and of course Linklater, I can't stand him, Though it's the only Linklater film that doesn't feel like a Linklater film at all , also Mcconaughey seemed different here.

It's a change for both of them, but to me it didn't work, and I expected a much better movie from those two.
Two things: you can't use IMDb images on here, everyone else can't see them even though you can; and Bernie is pretty distinctively and definitively a Linklater film, if you think it isn't I don't think you're very familiar with Linklater.

Make a better place
Two things: you can't use IMDb images on here, everyone else can't see them even though you can; and Bernie is pretty distinctively and definitively a Linklater film, if you think it isn't I don't think you're very familiar with Linklater.
I know about the IMDB thing, I searched for pictures on yahoo, maybe by coincidence the one I found was an IMDB picture, I'm sorry about it

So far I've watched 8 Linklater films, I appreciate his style and I think I'm familiar with it.

anyway, it was just my opinion, so I could be wrong

thanks for your comment

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I know about the IMDB thing, I searched for pictures on yahoo, maybe by coincidence the one I found was an IMDB picture, I'm sorry about it

So far I've watched 8 Linklater films, I appreciate his style and I think I'm familiar with it.

anyway, it was just my opinion, so I could be wrong

thanks for your comment
Linklater's charting of personal and regional behaviors has been evident since It's Impossible to Plow by Reading Books, and it's basically the showcase of Bernie (as well as his best film, Slacker). It's pretty concrete as material, so I'm confused as to what you think isn't Linklater about the film