MOFO Movie Tournament: Bracket 1

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A few films I would mention would be both Oscar Wilde films from 1960, Victim (those are all at least 50 years old) and then I'd have to break it down chronologically. Maybe, I can do that later, but my "other" family's calling...

Wow! That looks like the Brits were way more into opening the closet of "queer cinema" than us Yanks... like I didn't know that.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well, I reckon time has run up for this round of bracket 1

Here are the results (winners in bold):

City Lights 12
Brokeback Mountain 7

American Beauty 16
Silence of the Lambs 17

Night of the Hunter 9
Apocalypse Now 14

Big Lebowski 19
Thelma and Louise 7

Audition 6
Akira 12

Oldboy 18
Tootsie 7

Star Wars Episode 5: 13
Paper Moon 5

All About Eve 7
Lawrence of Arabia 16

The matchup that garnered the most votes also happened to be the closest battle obviously between two highly liked contenders that got a rough matchup. Other than that Night of the Hunter was a potential sleeper to move on until Apocalypse Now got a slew of ending picks that helped it maintain its distance. Brokeback had a chance too at one point but Chaplin was too much to overcome. The Big Lebowski had the most amount of votes with 19.

The second round of this bracket will be soon to come and will have the following matchups:

City Lights vs. Silence of the Lambs
Apocalypse Now vs. Big Lebowski
Akira vs. Oldboy
Star Wars Episode 5 vs. Lawrence of Arabia

It's so disappointing to see American Beauty, Brokeback Mountain, and my Tootsie lose -- but, HEY, my Apocalypse Now WON!

Tootsie will get her revenge one day, though. She has a score to settle.

I just finished Night of the Hunter, too. Hell, I still probably would've voted for Apocalypse Now.

There's always next time for Tootsie. After seeing Night of the Hunter, I really wish it was moving on, but it faced really stiff competition that could end up going a long way in this one.

I was afraid there was going to be a tie, but luckily it was settled beforehand, since I didn't set an official tie-breaking rule.

The only truely fair idea I had was letting both move on and have a 3 way battle, though it could really complicate things.

I am open to any other suggestions, but I'm really hoping we never have to deal with it, though it could possibly happen.

Sudden death for the 24 hours prior to the next round starting (where the winner will go on).
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

A good thing that seems to be happening as the tournament goes on, is I'll be able to vote more and more. I've seen every film in the next bracket, except Akira.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
in some ways i wish we had to vote privately. i think knowing which movie is winning does affect how some people will vote. it also affects what movies people will watch. for example, many people may have not bothered watching either of the films in the Children of Men/The Lady of Shanghai because CoM was so far ahead.