Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sideways-Film about the mediocrity and unfulfillment of middle age.It's neither bleak, nor is it sentimental. Its smooth, sweet and honest. A mature roadtrip movie about two men drinking wine,eating food and living life. Very mellow viewing.

At Christmas when my father in law offered wine, I yelled out "I am not drinking f**kin merlot!". He almost smacked me; he never saw the movie.

Great flick

Sideways was a great movie.

Alexander Payne never disappoints, and Paul Giamatti is an American treasure. I love the guy!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

What exactly were you hoping she'd do? Use her teeth as a can opener for the other characters? Carry Matthew McConaughey and transsexual Jared Leto on her back through the hospital? Make them clothes? Run the whole f**king Dallas Buyers Club and let Ron and Rayon just sit on their asses and collect the money? God! You think all women should just be slaves, don't ya?
is that too much to ask?

but seriously, the movie could've gone on basically unchanged without her. they could've at least got an actress who wasn't so boring.

I watched a few films this week, one of which being There Will Be Blood. This is one of Anderson’s grittiest and most powerful works (if not his grittiest and most powerful work). It’s his crowning achievement, in my opinion (a disgustingly beautiful masterpiece). Anderson incorporates a Kubrickesque style into this film with wide-angle shots, following Daniel Day-Lewis’s character, Daniel Plainview, in various close-ups. Day-Lewis’s performance was a colossal one, alongside a brilliant Paul Dano. I’ve discussed this movie with many people and quite a few individuals agree that Day-Lewis’s best performance was as Bill “The Butcher” Cutting from Gangs of New York. I beg to differ. Bill “The Butcher” Cutting was a fantastic character, but he was a more theatrical and a more over-the-top character. Day-Lewis as Plainview, however, was a genuine and a believable performance. I have met exceedingly more individuals like Daniel Plainview than I have Bill “The Butcher” Cutting. I just don’t see that type of character in everyday life. Daniel Plainview is a person I experience constantly. He’s the politician, the businessman, the narcissistic ego-maniac running around that I'm sure we've all come across. In conclusion, There Will Be Blood is a cutthroat character study of a man behind a mask.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Sherlock Jr.-Extremely impressive stuntwork,visual effects and setpieces. The story left a bit to be desired though. Still a very impressive piece of silent cinema.

Captain America = bad bad bad bad bad bad bad cliché bad bad bad

Vengeance is Mine (1979 Shohei Imamura) It was pretty good, but I didn't understand all the choice that the main character made. I'd have to rewatch it to understand it completely I think

Citizen of Werewolfville
Terribly Happy (Frygtelig Lykkelig) - 2008 Danish film about a young policeman, who accidentally commits a crime and tries desperately to hush it up. This film was so many times compared with dark comedies made by Coen brothers that my expectations were probably too high. It´s not a bad film, it just lacks more plot twists to be really unforgettable. And it´s definitely more effective as psychological drama about main hero´s moral dilemmas than as dark comedy. However, I was really impressed by its atmosphere (which really is comparable to Coen brothers world) and by leading actor Jakob Cedergren´s subtle performance. 6/10

1060 west addison?
that's wrigley field!

Blues Brothers
(John Landis, 1980)

John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, James Brown, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin,
Steven Spielberg, Carrie Fisher, & John Candy all in the same movie?

awesome

Dallas Buyers Club

McConaughey and Leto are as spectacular as advertised and deserve any praise they get. Jennifer Garner was an interesting and risky choice for her role but she nailed it as well. This is probably not something I will watch again at this point in my life, but this is an outstanding movie with a great story.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Around this time last year, I went to the theaters and celebration for my friend and my own birthday. He was born the second, and me, the twelfth, and we went and watched a movie called Warm Bodies. The movie was surprisingly well-done, with a finely developed script, and decent characters, but it wasn't anything more than a seven, tops. It was the first movie that I saw that year. (I went onto see twenty other movies in theaters that year.)

Anyway, Lego Movie was the first movie that I saw in theaters this year, and I was expecting something enjoyable, but a seven tops. I did not expect to see one of the greatest animated movies that I have ever seen. And I am talking, better than Lion King, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and any anime that I have ever seen. The movie felt as if it took my ****** sense of humor and amplified it enough to make an actual movie. Seriously, the movie could have reasonably been called "Derp: The Movie". What made the humor special though is that it carried it with such confidence, "This is not stupid, you know why, because I said so!"

However, beside the hilarious antics that didn't need obscenity to catch a laugh, there was a heart and charm that pulled through in the movie. And it isn't as simple as a regular everyday nobody becoming something special. Is it sappy? Yes, but it's also pretty ****ing great.

Yeah, have heard plenty of praise about this movie so far. Will definitely have to watch it, though probably not in theaters right now.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Yeah, have heard plenty of praise about this movie so far. Will definitely have to watch it, though probably not in theaters right now.
It's funny. I have three friends that I would consider myself "close" to in high-school, and I turn eighteen in four days. One of them is having dinner with his girlfriends' parents, the other is going to homecoming, ... my best friend and I went to watch the Lego Movie. There was LITERALLY no adults in there that weren't with little kids.

I am going to go watch That Awkward Moment with my aunt tomorrow, I wanted to watch Monuments Man right after Lego Movie, but my friend didn't want to leave on a potentially bad note.

what is the highest technique you hope to achieve?
to have no technique

Enter the Dragon
(Robert Clouse, 1973)

+

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I've never really cared much for the Oscars in the past, but this year I am making it my priority to watch all the Best Picture nominees before the Awards take place. I watched these two films over the last couple of days:

12 Years a Slave (2013, Steve McQueen)

This is a ferocious and callous depiction of the slave industry, told with both heart and candor. McQueen's vision does not seem to be hindered at all here - it adopts the same savagery approach of Hunger and the same unconcealed candidness of Shame. Considering its subject matter, this is the type of film that could have easily been plagued with sentimentality, but it stays mostly restrained throughout, never feeling like a mawkish or unduly dramatised story. From a technical standpoint, is a well-crafted piece, but to me, not the unreservedly gripping and compelling masterpiece some have claimed. It more or less met my expectations (in terms of how McQueen told the story), but I couldn't help but shake the fact that the film never felt like it stretched twelve years. Call it implausible or just ineffective, but it bothered me. Nonetheless, it is a good film - brutal, plaintive, and poignant, but nothing more than that from where I am standing. Maybe a 6.5 or a 7. This is "the" perfect Oscar film, though, especially in a time where American cinema is becoming increasingly more attentive and aware of the tragic history of the slave trade, a subject largely disregarded of prior.

Nebraska (2013, Alexander Payne)

A tender and human film that thrives in its simplicity. An effortless tale about trying to obtain independence and value in one's later years, Payne tells this adeptly written tale with both a remarkable deal of unfeigned fraternity and deadpan humour. The black and white photography is beautiful, furnishing the film with this sense of timelessness, but also a distinctively wretched undercurrent. It is such an undemanding and and 'steady' film that greatly impressed me on all levels, particularly Bruce Dern's performance and Payne's self-controlled presence behind the camera. It is a wonderful tale that had vague reminiscences of David Lynch's The Straight Story - a compassionate and human portrayal of seniority, told with flawed (but highly relatable) characters. It also has a lovely soundtrack. I'll give this an 8 or maybe a bit higher.

Citizen of Werewolfville
Visible World (Viditelný svet) Little known Slovak psychological drama, starring Czech actor Ivan Trojan as Oliver, a distant, introverted man, whose life is almost entirely devoted to his main hobby, which is stalking. The object of his binocular observation is beautiful young lady living across the street in seemingly happy family. Oliver remembers every detail of her daily habits and soon develops a plan how to use all these informations in order to disrupt her marriage and - hopefully - took the place of her husband at the end.

At the beginning, the story seems to be very similar to the One Hour Photo with Robin Williams, but the main character is much more rational and self-controlled here, his motivation (very slowly uncovered by mostly visual clues) is different and his behaviour less predictable. Thanks to Trojan´s hypnotic performance, the film is suspenseful and intense from the beginning to the end, even if little bit slow-paced for the standards of this century and with some unnecessarily long or repetitive scenes. Unexpectedly solid film, resembling some old fashioned suspense thrillers from the 1960s and 1970s. 8/10