My Favourite Directors

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
John Lasseter
Best Film: Toy Story/Toy Story 2
Worst Film: Cars

For almost 15 years, Lasseter worked in animation but couldn't quote breakthrough. He was looking for that next best thing, something to come along and revolutionise animation. He has often spoken about how much he loves the process of animating, of crafting characters and situations that people of all ages can enjoy. He found that perfect combination of young and old with his first feature, Toy Story.

Toy Story was the first, full length, computer animation and Pixar, in 90 minutes of glory, stole all of Disney's thunder. It's rare that a movie comes along and gains not only huge commercial success but critical adoration. Lasseter's role in revolutionising animation should not be forgotten. Only a few years later, the sequel and Lasseter's subsequent work on A Bug's Life would all but signal the end of traditional animation in Hollywood.

I think there is no greater praise for a director to say that his movies are almost universally loved. They appeal to children and adults and have left some in tears. Not tears of sorrow but tears of joy and possibly tears of nostalgia, of a world long gone. John Lasseter has become a legend of his times.

so Cars 2 was better?

I think you'd change your mind about John Lasseter's worse film if you saw it

I haven't actually seen it myself but I heard nothing good about it

Guillermo del Toro
Best Film: Pan's Labyrinth
Worst Film: Blade II

I was hooked on GDT the first time I saw Pan's Labyrinth and tracked down his earlier work, The Devil's Backbone. That in itself was a terrific movie, sharing many of the themes with the masterful Pan's. GDT is great at creating a world both fantastical and somehow familiar and the costume designs he works with have become iconic in their own right. GDT's style crosses all his movies, much like Burton but unlike Burton he managed to keep hold of what makes him great, rather than faltering too much into self parody.

Blade II is a slight downside to an otherwise impressive filmography, it's actually a step backwards from the original which I enjoyed far more. The sequel falls into Hollywood's typical trap, too long, too convoluted and too pretentious at times. But he redeemed himself with comic adaptations of Hellboy, both of which I think are severely underrated, especially The Golden Army.

GDT is one of the few directors who can make blockbusters that aren't just loud, CGI messes...take not Michael Bay.

Pan's Labyrinth is quite overrated in my book. Still quite good but still lacks subtlety and the honesty* to be a masterpiece, and I don't think that Del Toro is talented enough to make a masterpiece. Let him make more of those disposable Hellboy movies and everybody wins.

* That movie looked like a movie build to trick film critics into giving it high scores.

Quentin Tarantino - A director whos movies will never age.

Quentin Tarantino - A director whos movies will never age.
easily one of my favourite film makers ever!

I will agree though that the Hellboy movies are underrated. Those are very cool to watch and a very fresh to the movie going audience.
Apparently Hellboy 3 is in the works and I really hope Pacific Rim gives GDT a financial boost.

Pan's Labyrinth is quite overrated in my book. Still quite good but still lacks subtlety and the honesty* to be a masterpiece, and I don't think that Del Toro is talented enough to make a masterpiece. Let him make more of those disposable Hellboy movies and everybody wins.

* That movie looked like a movie build to trick film critics into giving it high scores.
What do you mean it tricks film makers?

And I disagree, it is a beautifully subtle movie and weaves through the historic struggles of the Spanish people against a fascist regime and a possible fantasy world...what I love most is that we can never be truly sure if the fantasy world exists or if it doesn't, it leaves the movie goers to make up their own minds.

I like Pan's Labyrinth different take on the war and that unique idea to combine fantasy and brutality.However,I can partly agree with Guaporense since that mix sometimes is too antithetic.

easily one of my favourite film makers ever!

Apparently Hellboy 3 is in the works and I really hope Pacific Rim gives GDT a financial boost.
I am SO looking forward to Pacific Rim! I grew up on giant monster movies when I lived in Asia as a kid! I would love a modern day return to those movies!

Also anytime Ron Pearlman and Doug Jones are in practical effect make up and have GDT in the director's chair is awesome!

I am SO looking forward to Pacific Rim! I grew up on giant monster movies when I lived in Asia as a kid! I would love a modern day return to those movies!

Also anytime Ron Pearlman and Doug Jones are in practical effect make up and have GDT in the director's chair is awesome!
awesome! whereabouts in Asia did you grow up? if you dont mind me asking

and in terms of Pacific Rim, it looks like a hell of a lot of fun and I just can't deny the epicness of what we've seen in the trailers.