War of the worlds (1953)

→ in
Tools    

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)

The original motion picture version of H. G. Wells "The War Of The Worlds" came to the screen in 1953.

The film was produced by George Pal and directed by Byron Haskin, The head man for the outstanding special effects was Gordon Jennings.

The film did not boost a star cast but it included Gene Barry who was TV's Bat Masterson as well as many familiar character actors.

The cast included:

Gene Barry as Dr. Clayton Forrester

Ann Robinson as Sylvia Van Buren

Les Tremayne as Major General Mann

Robert Cornwaithe as Dr. Pryor

Sandro Giglio as Dr. Bilderbeck

Lewis Martin as Pastor Matthew Collins

Walter Sande as The Sheriff

Vernon Rich as Col. Ralph Hefner

The beginning scene with the Martian invaders entrenched in a gully was all done in miniature on a large table top.

The movie is very exciting and full of suspense from the very beginning. The colors were excellent for that time period and the action is non stop.

The Martian creature that appears at one time in the film is played by Charles Gemora. Mr. Gemora specialized in gorilla and ape roles and is why you probably never see his face or name in a book of actors.

The entire film emphasizes the Martians superiority over humans. However, in the end they are defeated by some of God's smallest creatures, germs. Their bodies could not fight out earthly infections.

All in all, I consider this one of the top sci fi films of all time. It is done with great acting, suspense and non stop adventure.

The special effects were far advanced for their time considering that today's effects are all done on computers.

If you have never seen this film be sure to do so.

This is my all time favorite film. I have probably watched this film more times than any other in my library.

I do have a copy of the newer version with Tom Cruise. The newer film is good overall with good acting by Tom Cruise. The special effects are very well done also. However, I still prefer the 1953 version. It just can't be topped.

At the end of the newer version both Gene Barry and Ann Robinson appear in a cameo as the grandparents, Barry in his 80's and Robinson in her 70's.

My advise is to see both films but the original version made in 1953 is vastly superior in all ways.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've probably seen it 10 time, mostly 30+ years ago. Nowadays it brings back memories of my youth. Why don't you list your Favorite Movies and fill out your Lists in your User Profile?

I've probably seen it 10 time, mostly 30+ years ago. Nowadays it brings back memories of my youth. Why don't you list your Favorite Movies and fill out your Lists in your User Profile?
When I get some time I will.