The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

I suspect Chaplin, Brooks and Allen will have the most entries director-wise.

I personally avoid voting for more than one film from a given director (unless it's a two part movie, which were on my lists the last two countdowns). Keeps the results more interesting.
I also forgot to include Allen, but my experience with him is so minimal that I wouldn't know what will people will go with. Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Bullets Over Broadway probably?

I forgot to vote for Allen (lol) but I think Annie Hall is a safe bet. I would hope one of his earlier, more overtly movies would make an appearance but I don't know how much cachet they have these days.

I'm rooting for Bananas, is what I'm saying.

It's almost like you're saying one of the most important things in comedy is timing.
The only thing that's more important in comedy is money. People tend to laugh more when they're being bribed by the comic.

I forgot to vote for Allen (lol) but I think Annie Hall is a safe bet. I would hope one of his earlier, more overtly movies would make an appearance but I don't know how much cachet they have these days.

I'm rooting for Bananas, is what I'm saying.
Bananas is one of three films of his I've seen, but it's a solid slapstick. What will make me more happy about that is that it was filmed here in Puerto Rico, and features a couple of notable Puerto Rican actors.

Life of Brian will surely get in, but it was directed by Terry Jones, not Gilliam.

As for Brazil, I agree that the distinct one might be a factor in it not getting in, but I think it has a chance at the backend.

Oh weird, for some reason I had assumed Gilliam was at the helm on that one as well.

Oh weird, for some reason I had assumed Gilliam was at the helm on that one as well.
I think they had a bit of an argument over it. Both directed Holy Grail, but Jones took over for this one.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Actually, it is very interesting what is the geographical distribution of all these 88 or 89 participants. ...By country, state, city...

Would you mind sharing yours?
Is there someone from continental Europe or Latin America?
Is there someone from some other not usual for the forum parts of the world?

Actually, it is very interesting what is the geographical distribution of all these 88 or 89 participants. ...By country, state, city...

Puerto Rico here.

I am from Canada, but I did vote for two movies from India, which is the only geographically interesting thing about my list.

Director estimate?

Charlie Chaplin = 5
Buster Keaton = 4
John Landis = 4
Mel Brooks = 3
Harold Ramis = 3
Tom Shadyac = 3
Peter & Bobby Farrelly = 3
Edgar Wright = 2
Kevin Smith = 2
Ben Stiller = 2
Terry Gilliam = 2
Coen brothers = 2
Billy Wilder = 2
Amy Heckerling = 2
Jay Roach = 2
Going by this criteria, I have eight...

insert sad panda here...

I'm from Belgium.

I'm from Antarctica.

WARNING: spoilers below
America, actually
Same country.