Movie Tab II

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well over at JayDee's Movie Musings I've gone a bit Clint Eastwood crazy and he makes up half of the films I'm posting here. Again, if you see a film that interests you I'd be very grateful if you followed the links and went and read the full review.

mirror

Unforgiven

“And there is only one guarantee; none of us will see heaven”

Though a line from the 2002 film Road to Perdition it could so easily apply here. If you're looking for a hero, you've come to the wrong place. Pretty much every character here is guilty, whether it be due to deeds in the present or in their past. The killers are vicious, and the sheriff is even worse! It's certainly not your daddy's western of 'cool' lone wolf anti-heroes, valiant sheriffs and stylistic, righteous killings. There is no romanticizing or mythologising of the Old West to be found here. As an example of how that kind of thinking came to be we have Saul Rubinek's writer who is travelling with English Bob, acting as his biographer. He is ......................

Read the full review here

mirror

Capricorn One

This is a rollicking good yarn. Yes it may be a bit cheesy and flawed in parts but yeah, rollicking good yarn sums it up pretty succinctly.

After the unnerving chills of Magic and the methodical drama of Escape from Alcatraz, this finds me firmly back on classic 70s thriller territory. We've got conspiracies, cover-ups, the ordinary man being squeezed under the thumb of the government, the conspiracy being blown apart by a tenacious journalist. Indeed much of it feels very All the President's Men, right down to the two films sharing Hal Holbrook as a member of their cast. He was Deep Throat in All the President's Men, and here he is the puppet master who ..........................

mirror

The Grifters

This is a film which feels extremely 90s. It just has that 90s sheen to it. It's tremendously cool, sexy and slick; quite Tarantino-esque in fact. While it may look very 90s (to my eyes at least) it's tone commonly feels rooted about half a century previous with its film noir sensibility and vaguely hard boiled dialogue.

I've always enjoyed watching the exploits of con artists, whether it be in film or TV. For the most part it is presented as an exciting and romantic world. And as we are watching con artists who deal in confidence; getting people to like and trust them, we usually end up liking them as well, finding them very likeable and charming. This however is a much darker affair, taking a look behind the scenes if you will at .......................

mirror

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

++

An offbeat little film this. It's a fairly simple little story which is half buddy road movie, and half heist caper movie. It's a highly enjoyable buddy relationship/bromance between Eastwood and Bridges as the film tackles the themes of male bonding and honour among thieves.

Jeff Bridges is just terrific here as Lightfoot; his carefree, swaggering and quipping scoundrel evoking other creations such as Captain Jack Sparrow. The characters enthusiasm is truly infectious and the terrific chemistry he shares with Eastwood feels like it could have inspired many a buddy pic down the road. Eastwood actually gives quite a restrained and quiet performance by his standards, allowing Bridges .......................

mirror

Coogan's Bluff

+

It's very hard not to see this film's plot as a metaphor for Eastwood's 'coming out' to mainstream Hollywood. The way that his character, Deputy Sheriff Coogan, leaves the Arizona desert for the big city really feels like a statement from Clint that he is ready to move out of the spaghetti western genre which established him into American productions. The former Man With No Name is now ready to make, and have a name (and yes I just went with a line that corny! ) It's also quite a safe vehicle for Eastwood as he is able to retain his western persona of a gruff, monosyllabic outlaw/lawman. The film really is like a stepping stone between the western genre that established him, and the cop thriller genre were he arguably would gain even greater recognition and fame. It's only a small step from here to the .....................

Read the full reviewhere

mirror

The Gauntlet

Well my 70s thriller season really is certainly morphing into a Clint Eastwood season! This is a grubby and fairly trashy little flick which also happens to be really quite good fun. From the growing number of films of his I've now seen I'd say this is quite firmly in 'classic' Eastwood territory; it's action packed, fast-paced and darkly and crudely funny. Its story is fairly absurd and ludicrous at points but it's all done with such a gleeful and ferocious energy that it's easy to forgive it, and even enjoy it for those reasons. Though sadly it's nowhere near as awesome as that first movie poster would have you think!

This certainly isn't mentally challenging fare. Along with some fairly obvious and telegraphed .......................

mirror

Spy Game

+

A decent, but on the whole uninspired film. There just seems to be an air of laziness lingering around it, as if too many people on the production were content just to reach a level of adequate and leave it at that. While with a bit more effort it could have been a cracking political thriller.

As for the directing it's a bit of a mixed bag. Tony Scott may not be a master craftsman of a director but he proves to be a fairly safe pair of hands for this kind of thing. He keeps the film cracking along at a fair pace, so much so that we cross four decades and a few wars in a mere two hours. It really is quite a lot of information he is able to squeeze into a fairly tight running time. And I appreciated the way ......................

mirror

Green Lantern

+

Am I the only one who found this to actually be kinda decent? Well maybe decent isn't the word as it's certainly not a good film but at least it's quite good fun in spurts. And as a result I'd probably give it the slightest of edges over The Incredible Hulk for instance in terms of enjoyment. It really is the absolute epitome of the big dumb summer blockbuster – massive mindless action, loads of effects, a half-hearted romance (though saying it's half-hearted is being very generous to the film) and sadly little intelligence or wit.

While I may be a massive comiic book fan I had absolutely no exposure to the Green Lantern mythos so this was all new to me – Hal Jordan, the ring, the Corp etc. So I had no expectations about .......................

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel, 1972)-

Maybe I just don't 'get' Bunuel, but I didn't find it all that funny. It was a bit bland on the visual side, though there were some fun moments of surrealism.

Murder a la Mod (Brian De Palma, 1967)-

De Palma's debut feature is a grungy experimental thriller, very unique but occasionally weighed down by quite possibly the most annoying psycho-killer in film history.

Band of Outsiders (Jean-Luc Godard, 1964)-

Very similar to Breathless, but it has one thing that Godard's debut doesn't- Anna Karina.

The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)-

Westerns really aren't my thing, but this film features some of the best use of technicolor I've ever seen. The film itself isn't racist, but Wayne's character sure is, and I often found him difficult to identify with as a protagonist.

Vivre sa Vie (Jean-Luc Godard, 1962)-

It took me five films, but thanks to this movie, I've finally had my Godard epiphany. At long last, I accept the man as a truly GREAT filmmaker, and not just a talented stylist. Needless to say, this is my favorite of his films, and I'm definitely developing a crush on Anna Karina. A beautiful tribute to love and the best film I've ever seen about female belittlement in a male-dominated society. Instant favorite.

Hands off 60s Anna Karina. She's mine!

If you're still in the mood for some Godard and Karina, I would definitely suggest checking out: Pierrot le Fou, if you haven't already. Probably my favourite film of his.

The Blade (Tsui Hark, 1995)

Tsui Hark rewrites the tale of The One-armed Swordsman giving it a modern twist with hyperkinetic camerawork that spins and cartwheels with hypnotic brilliance. A masterly command of editting, The Blade feels like poetry on screen - where light and darkness collide, where characters move in and out of shadows, the darkness obscuring any world outside their own and the spurts of blood become like dust in wind.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Yates, 1973)

Robert Mitchum is excellent as the titular Eddie Coyle, who as it turns out doesn't have many friends if any at all. Dark, gritty and exceptionally bleak. The end kind of peters out without really really leaving you with much to think about or hold onto. But it's a very good film none the less.

Three Times (Hou, 2005)

First, Hsiao-hsien Hou film I've ever seen and I'm incredibly impressed, and this by all accounts isn't even his best film so I look forward to exploring the rest of his filmography. Using what is ostensibly the same story three times, as the title suggests, to explore the changing social obstacles, circumstances and norms within Taiwan over many generations was incredibly effective and well done. But what impressed me most about this film are the performances, Chen Chang (all grown up, having most recently seen him in A Brighter Summer Day) is excellent. But it is Qi Shu who really steals the show, the ability to convey so much with so little dialogue, if any at all was amazing. Loved that the second part was basically silent too.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel, 1972)-

Maybe I just don't 'get' Bunuel, but I didn't find it all that funny. It was a bit bland on the visual side, though there were some fun moments of surrealism
I suppose it was too discreet. I love that film, but I apparently don't get Godard, and I've been trying for about 40 years.

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Even though Bergmans Wild Strawberries had a "happy" ending, it was one that brought out pity. Just deep pity, sorrow, and curiosity about our protagonist. The protagonist is an old man by the name of Isak. He is going on a car ride back home to get an honorary award. With him his judgmental daughter-in-law and young hitchhikers caught in a love triangle. While 90% of the film was in the car ride only 50% of that was Isak actively in the car. We had many flashbacks and strange dreams which brought out David Lynches "Eraserhead" type of feeling out. The directing was almost perfect except I believe the camera work for the car crash scene was a tad off, making it confusing. It's still a good Ingmar Bergman film that I enjoyed. On the other I can't call it his best like many do, it was miles deep in some of the greatest foreign films ever but an equal amount of miles away from reaching Persona.

Other movies I've watched
Diabolique-

Man with a Movie Camera-

Rewatches
Dr.Strangelove-
previously

Three Times (Hou, 2005)

First, Hsiao-hsien Hou film I've ever seen and I'm incredibly impressed, and this by all accounts isn't even his best film so I look forward to exploring the rest of his filmography. Using what is ostensibly the same story three times, as the title suggests, to explore the changing social obstacles, circumstances and norms within Taiwan over many generations was incredibly effective and well done. But what impressed me most about this film are the performances, Chen Chang (all grown up, having most recently seen him in A Brighter Summer Day) is excellent. But it is Qi Shu who really steals the show, the ability to convey so much with so little dialogue, if any at all was amazing. Loved that the second part was basically silent too.
My favourite Hou film is A Summer At Grandpa's. To be honest, I did not really like Three Times, probably due to being bored by the 2nd and 3rd stories.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Yates, 1973)
Love this low key masterpiece and own the Criterion. It' sits proudly in my 70's crime/thriller section.

More of my thoughts on the film here if you're interested.

Best Worst Movie (2009)

About the growing cult following of Troll 2, 20 years after release, revisiting old cast members and longtime fans. At times depressing (or pathetic), but very good overall. Just became one of my favorite docs.
Bunraku (2010)

A sort of expressionistic, comic book-ish, martial arts noir. Cult film material.
Cargo (2009)

The Fountain (2006)

The Hunger (1983)

In the Loop (2009)

Kin-dza-dza (1986)

Little Otik (2000)

Svankmajer’s attempt at a more conventional filmmaking style. Grotesquely enjoyable, and as always with Svankmajer, I love the sense of humor.
Matinee (1993) -

Necronomicon (1993)

Really fun Bava-esque gross-out flick.
Outlander (2008)

The Salute of the Jugger (Uncut, 1989)

Virus (1980)

Entertaining at times, but way too long.

Chickenhawk (Sideman, 1994)

Why do I do this to myself?

Documentary that follows a few members of NAMBLA, in the hopes of delving into the mind of those that have an attraction to children. It is to the filmmakers credit that they do not judge these men, they allow them to speak freely and in doing so they in turn bury themselves with their own delusions. A common theme among these men is that they all believe their victims or indeed any boy they just so happen to come into contact with are the ones that initiate the encounter and "flirt" with them and not the other way around. We see an incredibly creepy example of this in the film when one of these men is filmed talking to a teenage boy about an absolutely mundane topic and coming away from it believing the boy was "flirting" with him. We also follow a group of NAMBLA members who attempt to join a LGBT pride rally and the anger that ensues from that. It's a very difficult and angering watch - some of the things these men describe having done is revolting. But it's also quite interesting, just not something I ever want to watch again.

Rewatches:
Tree of Life (Malick, 2011)

Los Olvidados (Buńuel, 1950)

Before Sunrise (Linklater, 1995)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Black Orpheus (Marcel Camus, 1959)

Intoxicating in its setting and music, Black Orpheus is a singular film in the history of Brazilian cinema. Directed by a Frenchman, a former art teacher, the movie looks almost like a documentary at times, but this realism is trumped by the overriding surrealism inherent in a version of the Orpheus/Eurydice tragedy set in Rio de Janeiro during Carnival. The music and colors are breathtaking and Rio has never looked more exotic, yet the poor living conditions of the main characters are contrasted with the physical beauty surrounding them, adding levels of gritty social commentary to this alleged "fairy tale" which would later break through in such films as Pixote. Highly recommended to all serious filmgoers and to those who would enjoy a vacation to Rio during Carnival.

The Rules of the Game (1939)/The Grand Illusion (1938) (Both directed by Jean Renoir)

Renoir's two most highly-regarded flicks were made consecutively on the Eve of WWII. Both are must-sees but not exactly perfect. Considering that they're supposed to be nigh on perfect, it's understandable that it's difficult to reach that watermark. I mentioned elsewhere that the first film's satire seems to have worn out a bit, but I want to say that it's more than made up for by the fact that the straight comedy seems to shine brighter than ever today. I'm not saying that Renoir hits Marx Bros. territory, but I definitely laughed out loud at it more than I ever have. I fully expected The Grand Illusion to be the better film, but I was surprised at how jerky some of the editing was. I had forgotten that many significant events occur off-screen and that there are a lack of explanations to some which are shown. However, the honest respect shared between some of the officers is moving. Erich von Stroheim comes off as a gentleman, at least until he shows himself to be a racist and an elitist nobleman. In many ways, the latter film seems to skewer its satiric targets in a more modern manner, and I never really even considered The Grand Illusion a satire before.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Grey Just wasn't intense enough, nor were the characters interesting enough to have much of an impact. I thought much of the writing was pretty cliche.C-

The Avengers Not much to say other than it was fun. C+

Shy People I'm a sucker for creepy movies set in these South, especially the ones set in backwoods swamp land, so I was expecting to like this a lot. And I did even though it's a deeply flawed movie. Most notably the stereotypical almost cartoonish characters. However, the themes explored are extremely interesting and the characters are compelling despite the stereotypes. With some tweaking this could have been a brilliant movie, but as is it gets a B-.

Day Of The Beast (1995)
Reminded me of Save the Green Planet! A story about the "supposed" day of birth of Satan in Madrid on Christmas Day. A priest, a satanic fortune teller and a death metal shop owner attempts to invoke the devil.

The Untold Story (1993)
+ The Hong Kong delicatessen/soylent green about pork dumplings made from human flesh! Very gory for a Hong Kong movie. Based on a true story.

Five Deadly Venoms (1976)
Marvellous storyline that fascinates. Something rare for a Shaw Brothers movie. I think this could well be my new favourite kung fu movie, right up there with 36th Chamber and Dragon Gate Inn.

Might elaborate some later, for now just ratings:

Martha Marcy May Marlene (Durkin, 2011)
-
Three Colours: Blue (Kieslowski, 1993)
-
Persona (Bergman, 1966)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (Spielberg, 1981)

Office Space (Judge, 1999)

Stand By Me (Reiner, 1986)

In the Mood for Love (Wong, 2000)

Singin' in the Rain (Donen & Kelly, 1952)

Doing a weird thing I'm calling "14 days/14 movies", basically just a personal goal to see 14 movies I've never seen before each of a different genre in two weeks. Two days in:

MUSICAL: An American in Paris (Minnelli, 1951)

WAR: Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)

Smells mystical, doesn't it?

House of 1000 Corpses
3/10

I don't know if this film was parodying horror movie cliches or if it really was that bad. It seemed like Zombie was trying to balance humor and horror, or at least that was my impression, and he failed at doing both.

One of the most annoying aspects of the entire film was that random "shaky" camera or negative footage of a naked woman fondling herself while showering in blood would be spliced in between scenes.
On top of all that you have to listen Rob Zombie's music which takes up 90% of the soundtrack, and finally you're given an ending with a "twist" that has been done countless.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
A recap of what I've been watching over the last week or so:

The Untouchables (1987)
+

The Lost Boys (1987)

The Color Of Money (1986)

Kickboxer (1989)

The Delta Force (1986)

U.S Marshals (1998)

Pacific Heights (1990)

Cliffhanger (1993)

Under Siege (1992)

Back To The Future Part II (1989)