The 82nd Academy Awards

Tools    

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin to co-host the Oscars

Earlier today Deadline Hollywood reported that Oscar producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic asked Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. to co-host the 82nd Oscar ceremony as a duo, which would have been schweeeeeet. But they said no. So now they’ve gone for their second option, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin.

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin will serve as co-hosts of the 82nd Academy Awards®, Oscar telecast producers Bill Mechanic and Adam Shankman announced today. “We think the team of Steve and Alec are the perfect pair of hosts for the Oscars,” said Shankman and Mechanic. “Steve will bring the experience of having hosted the show in the past and Alec will be a completely fresh personality for this event.”

“I am happy to co-host the Oscars with my enemy Alec Baldwin,” said Martin.

“I don’t play the banjo but I’m thrilled to be hosting the Oscars – it’s the opportunity of a lifetime,” said Baldwin.
Source: Filmonic

Yawn. I would rather the show was hosted just by Robert Downey Jr. That would be awesome. Physical and spiritual eye candy.

A duo? Really? We don't need a duo.

At least it's not that beloved-except-by-me talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres, again.

Martin & Baldwin will be awesome. Hugh Jackman could have been but they were working with a budget of $25.00 last year, and it looked like a solo piece being done in an acting class. Say what you will about him, but Billy Crystal imo is the best host theyve had. He has the perfect balance of talent, class, and mainstream appeal.

I have always rooted for the return of Whoopi Goldberg, but since you can find her everyday on The View now, why bother?

Happy New Year from Philly!
I think Kanye West should host the Oscars. It would finally put them on the map.

Maybe it's because the nominations haven't been announced (or, probably, even released yet) but I just can't find it in myself to get excited about the Oscars and having to watch Alec Baldwin read out loud probably isn't going to make things any better.

*BTW, SC? I think you and me are going to have a falling out about this sentence;*

I have always rooted for the return of Whoopi Goldberg...

Anyway, to carry on a bit more about what Yoder and myself were saying in the Shout Box; I've seen Inglourious Basterds no less then 3 times now and I sure hope it not only gets nominated but wins the whole enchilada, it's that good.

I would also like to see The Hurt Locker get a nom, not sure if it's an "Oscar type" of flick though. It should be.

Perhaps the most interesting question to be answered will be if Up is going to break through and get in on the 10 Best Picture nominations, or if its just going to take home the Best Animated feature and that's it.

The academy has moments of their own, sometimes, as it was the case with Beauty and the Beast, if the film is to good, they put it in the best picture category. It happened two times for the foreighn language film with Bergmans Cries and whispers in 1970`s and in 1998 with the italian film which name I can`t remember. The category spreaded now to 10 films, who knows, maybe even Up, White ribbon or Antichrist will be nominated.

The 25 Movies You Need To See Before Oscar Night

• Up in the Air
  • The Hurt Locker
  • Precious
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Invictus
  • An Education
  • Up
  • A Serious Man
  • The Messenger
  • Julie & Julia
  • A Single Man
  • Crazy Heart
  • The Blind Side
  • The Last Station
  • Nine
  • Star Trek
  • District 9
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • The Lovely Bones
  • (500) Days of Summer
  • It's Complicted
  • The Young Victoria
  • Bright Star
  • The Informant!

Well, I am looking forward to seeing Alec Baldwin host, I just wish he would do it shirtless... all that sexy chest hair he has... or maybe even totally naked.

I can see Steve Martin hosting but Alec Baldwin? Not that I really dislike him... I just never thought of him hosting something like this. I may end up checking it out just to see how he does...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The 25 Movies You Need To See Before Oscar Night

• Up in the Air
  • The Hurt Locker
  • Precious
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Invictus
  • An Education
  • Up
  • A Serious Man
  • The Messenger
  • Julie & Julia
  • A Single Man
  • Crazy Heart
  • The Blind Side
  • The Last Station
  • Nine
  • Star Trek
  • District 9
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • The Lovely Bones
  • (500) Days of Summer
  • It's Complicted
  • The Young Victoria
  • Bright Star
  • The Informant!
Pretty crap year for me as well. I've only seen four of those movies -three of which I loved (Up, Inglourious Basterds and Julie & Julia) and the fourth I can't decide if I even liked (Precious). Of the remainder there are only two movies I have even the slightest desire to see (A Single Man and Crazy Heart) and I doubt my local theater will show either of them.

I may watch the awards out of boredom (like I did with the Golden Globes), but typically the only category in which I've seen all of the nominees is the "Best Animated Feature," and since Pixar always (and deservedly) wins that one, it's not like I'm waiting with baited breath the see the outcome of it.

I am half agony, half hope.
I can see Steve Martin hosting but Alec Baldwin? Not that I really dislike him... I just never thought of him hosting something like this. I may end up checking it out just to see how he does...
I love Alec Baldwin. He has great comedic timing and delivery, and his voice is sexy.
And you have to watch, Caity, it's the Oscars!

Johann von Goethe