Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

One killer couple, pun intended.

CAPTURE KILL RELEASE is a small gem of the faux-doc/found footage/cinema verite horror genre. The plot is simple, an unhinged couple decide to find the perfect victim and murder them. For the sake of discovery and surprises I'll leave it at that for the virginal viewer.

What really makes this work are the two outstanding performances by Farhang Ghajar and Jennifer Fraser. Fraser in particular is incredibly captivating and horrifying, and yet she is never less than watchable and engaging. But Ghajar doesn't follow far behind as a man watching his significant others obsessions take the best of her.

Grisly, perversely funny (they discuss murder as casually as we discuss films, and her thorough glee in taking part is disturbingly captivating). CKR is an example of horror done right, by keeping it simple, and never once lagging in morbid interest.

Not for the weak of stomach or heart, and the ending is slightly disappointing not to mention a leap in logic that is a bit far fetched. Otherwise this is a sharp, nasty, little entertainment that will have you squirming, cringing, and maybe just a tad queasy.

3 out of 4

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

Legend in my own mind
I can see your point! It was a let down in many aspects, everytime I start to think about that movie I enjoy less.
As with many films. Great premise - poor execution.

The Stepfather (1987)

Whoever wrote The Cable Guy really owes some money to whoever wrote this, as a big part of the killer's inner mania is predicated on unrealistic standards fostered by wholesome family television programs. This, however, isn't a comedy, but an uneven movie with long stretches of boring melodrama punctuated by discomforting scenes of violence. With 80s horror, I usually feel a twisted giddiness when the murders occur, but there's nothing funny about the deaths here. Very disturbing stuff. Instead, the few chuckles stem from the relatively normal family moments that are rather corny and dated. It's frustrating that the brother is completely wasted in the end, as is the boyfriend to some degree, but I can get past that pretty easily. Even with its shortcomings as a drama, the closing scene is actually really well done and provides some emotional closure that I wasn't expecting. Oh, and that dog scene was brutal to sit through.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Child of God (2013)
+

From pooping to cross-dressing, it was original. I wouldn't watch it twice. I hate Franco and Rogen collaborations, but, if you take Rogen out of the equation, turns out Franco may actually have some talent. Not a bad film. Haze was convincing. Nelson made a good sheriff.

Miss Meadows (2014)

A bit slow. Not a lot of action. If you like Holmes, it's watchable. Miss Meadows wears great outfits, has cool tap shoes and lives a very literal existence. Cute, funny and very proper, at times. Almost no gore.

Well this film was a bit of a mixed bag, very bizarre at times even considering that that it is a vampire movie. Some of the scenes are very good but then in the next moment will have a scene that just felt out of place and a bit crap to be honest. Still overall glad I watched it even if it is just to take in more of Park Chan-wook work although I did not find it a patch on Oldboy.

Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard (2007)

The concept is similar to later "Fast and Furious" releases, but less awesome. John McClane is basically a superhero and it's not cool, bro.

Nine Dead (2010)

Nine hostages must tell their captor why they are all captured while he kills one of them every 10 minutes if they don't. The film gets going once hostages introduce themselves. Afterwards intrigue keeps rising until the end as we see how hostages react to "in the dumpster" situation.

Panic Button (2011)

4 competition winners agree to participate in a game. They soon find out the game isn't fun and they are not exactly winners. The film will do if you like that sort of premise, but movie itself is weaker than "Nine Dead", I thought.

Miss Meadows (2014)

Elementary school teacher moonlights as vigilante. I dug sort of care free tone of this flick where killings seem like a side note in regards to atmosphere even if being center stage plot wise. Protagonist Miss Meadows is well defined with her peculiar quirks and "modus operandi".

Circle (2015)

50 kidnapped strangers deduce that only one of them will survive as they vote who will be killed next every minute. Once again it starts slow, but pulls rising intrigue as we get to know the ways kidnapped seek to not get voted out next or discuss who deserves to be the last one standing.

Elle (2016)

Given high praise I expected more, but non the less I was invested throughout in Elle's life after rape. Sort of spoiler: she doesn't break down and there's much more going on than that. I liked that other characters were also interesting besides the protagonist.

8/10

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

Drama depicting depression, tragedy and relationships. Good job Casey Affleck!

Nine Dead (2010)

Nine hostages must tell their captor why they are all captured while he kills one of them every 10 minutes if they don't. The film gets going once hostages introduce themselves. Afterwards intrigue keeps rising until the end as we see how hostages react to "in the dumpster" situation.
That is a very generous review. Some of the worst acting ever put to screen. Offensively bad writing. I'm a little dumbfounded that someone could enjoy it.

Watched the MST3K on their YouTube channel but I still love watching these old B-Monster movies occasionally. This one was entertaining enough with crazy science and who the hell would not want to watch a film that was filmed in NEW Horrorscope!?

I saw the trailer and thought this was promising but I could understand the low score because it looked a little B grade

De la part des copains (1970)
+

You can feel like a real film snob, after watching a movie with such a fancy French title. Has a nice European vibe to it. I don't like the name Fabienne, sounds awful when Bronson says it. Good casting job on the bad guys. Definitely worth 3 stars.
Action! Thrills! Suspense!

The Accountant (2016) 7/10

This was a good gripping action thriller, great premise, great performance by Ben Affleck.

Dog Eat Dog (2016) 7/10
I really liked the directing in the film, plenty of interesting visuals that reminds me of Natural Born Killers. There Isn't alto of meat to the plot it's a pretty basic generic premise but I liked the directing and the characters, the visuals is what makes this movie. Great beginning and end.