Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Akira (1988) - First time this has ever happened but was kinda hoping this one would get recommended. Been watch-listed for a decade or so.

Amour (2012) - Remember when this was released. Wanted to see it but it disappeared from my radar pretty quick.

Autumn Sonata (1978) - Started it a few years ago but didn't finish it.

Departures (2008) - Never heard of it but it sounds like I'm either going to REALLY like it or not.

Fail-Safe (1964) - Never heard of it - looks good

Five Easy Pieces (1970) -Can't believe I haven't seen this yet. It's about time.

The Hidden Fortress (1958) - Already on my HBO watch list

Moonlight (2016) - Just one of them BP winners I never got around to watching. Have to admit that the BP winners I have seen from the last decade or so have been pretty eh. But a couple have been excellent as well

The Red Shoes (1948) - Never heard of it. Is it the prequel to The Red Violin?

Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - Heard of it but know nothing about it.

The Wages of Fear (1953) - Never heard of it

The Wild Bunch (1969) - Started it awhile back but never finished it. Don't remember why. I've been waiting for somebody to pick this for me since the days of PRHoF number one.

Nice selection and it looks like I'll be able to stream them all except for The Wild Bunch, which I couldn't find,but we have months for it to show up someplace.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Servant (1963)
I think this is on the British list but I know nothing about it.
I've seen this. Great film. A rarity where being in on the "secret" enhances the watch. I'd suggest visiting IMDb a bit beforehand.

literally every movie on my list is some classic that i expect to love but have out off for whatever reason. great picks everyone
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Pretty amazing list across the board for all. Great noms all!

All That Jazz (1979) Ever since getting Cabaret Recommended in one of these, this has been a Must See!

Another Round (2020) Another opportunity to enjoy Mads Mikkelsen.

Belle De Jour (1967) Ahhh, Catherine Deneuve! I've bounced back and forth on whether or not to see this and knew it would take a push for it to happen. So thanks for the push.

Brief Encounter (1945) I've seen a few Trevor Howard, and this looks pretty worthwhile with some great cinematography from the trailer.

In the Heat of the Night (1967) A long time Must See and never seem to. THANK YOU.

The Iron Giant (1999) When it came out, I never thought to bother with it. Heard a lot of love for it through MoFos and seriously thought about trying it out. So, another Thank You.

The King of Kong (2007) Looks like a very fun Doc to check out.

Paris, Texas (1984) A Must See that I never directly sought out.

Peeping Tom (1960) Heard a few messed-up things about this one that kept me away. Time to dive in.

The River (1951) Curious about this one

Secrets & Lies (1996) A Mike Leigh film. Looks intriguing, good cast.

The Trial (1962) This is looking very much like a Hidden Gem. Pretty fascinated by the set-up with Anthony Perkins as the lead.

Pretty excited about this. NO IDEA what to watch first. lol

I forgot the opening line.
I'm excited about this bunch - there's some great noms in there for sure, and a few films that I've never heard of before that I'm intrigued by.

Dances with Wolves (1990) - Have this on DVD and have been meaning to watch it for ages - so now I've got the impetus. Good pick - it's not a Criterion, but that matters little when it's a film that's been in my sights.

Dead Man (1995) - I really like Jim Jarmusch, but I haven't seen this yet. Knowing how I react to his films, this will rate highly.

Double Indemnity (1944) - I bought the Criterion online, blind, just last week so this is one I would have been watching in the next few weeks (when it arrives) - obviously that's a good selection.

Forbidden Planet (1956) - Here's an interesting, well-known science fiction film I haven't seen - all I now is Leslie Nielson is in it. And (*remembers the Rocky Horror Show Song*) Anne Francis - yeah.

Laura (1944) - A complete and utter mystery to me.

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) - Another complete and utter mystery to me - but it's on Criterion, so extra points for that.

Nashville (1975) - I've been wanting to see this film so much, for quite a long time now. It's one my most anticipated non-seen films, so great pick whomever did this one.

Paper Moon (1973) - Yeah, I was talking to a friend the other day about this one - I've only really become aware of it's potential greatness to me over the past 6 months or so - so it's another top nomination.

Pepe Le Moko (1937) - Pepe Le what? But Criterion, so awesome.

Strange Days (1995) - Oooh - never heard of it. I'll bring this one up with my Ralph Fiennes obsessed ex, and see what she says about it.

Videodrome (1983) - Great one. I really should have seen this by now - a huge oversight not to have, and I've been meaning to.

The Wicker Man (1973) - Would you believe I've seen the wacko remake a few times? I've been meaning to see this as well. I love the story. I know I'll like it.

The trick is not minding
8 1/2 (1963)
Fellini is hit or miss for me. For every La Strada and La Dolce Vita, there has been the occasional Satyricon and I, Clowns. That said, 8 1/2 is one of those films I need to see.

Annihilation (2018)
This is Garland, right? With Natalie Portman as I recall. Have not seen any of his films yet, but I’ve been meaning to.

City Lights (1931)
I mean…It’s Chaplin. Enough said. Highly anticipated.

Come and See (1985)
Very excited for this, as it’s been on my watch list for about 15 years now. About slightly less time than the above 8 1/2.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
I remember when this first came out and I saw it was getting good reviews. Never actively avoided it, but never really went out of my way to seek it out. Might as well watch it finally, right?

In the Mood for Love (2000)
I’m so ready to be sad over this.

Magnolia (1999)
Another film I remember being released in cinemas but I just never got around to it, mostly because Tom Cruise is hit or miss. Still, it is about time I finally finish off PTA filmography.*

Marathon Man (1976)
I was going to watch this soon anyways, since it’s on Prime.

The Lives of Others (2006)
Like Magnolia and Hedwig, it’s a film I’ve been meaning to watch since it’s first release in cinemas.

Red Beard (1965)
Kurosawa has never disappointed me, and there aren’t many directors who I can say that about.

Samurai Rebellion (1967)
Kobayashi, right? I’ve seen his Kwaidan and Harakiri and loved both. I know Ebert held this in high regard as well.

Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
I’ve only seen one Mizoguchi, so far, and that was his 47 Ronin. Enjoyed that, so this will be interesting as well.

As I said before, very strong crop of films.

Glad to see that no one (so far) seems worried about my pick for them, and that a few of the alternate choices I had ready were actually nominated by other people, meaning I wasn't completely off base with my guesses. As for the films chosen for me:

Being John Malkovich (1999)
As I mentioned during the Comedy Countdown, I had previously avoided this film, but what people said about it in that thread made me really interested in finally checking it out. It did seem like the kind of film I'd be into.

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
I've heard of the film before, but I'm confident that I have not seen it.

Black Narcissus (1947)
This is a film that whenever I see it come up on the forum, I wonder why I haven't watched it. Then I promptly forget about it until it gets mentioned again. The cycle seemed never-ending, but now it will finally be broken!

Children of Men (2006)
I don't think a single film has been added and removed from my watchlist more than Children of Men. I flip flop between "I should finally watch this" and "I probably won't bother now" very often. What I really needed was a push to watch it, but I never got one...until now.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
When this showed up on the recent Horror Countdown, I thought it looked really interesting. Loved the screenshots I saw of it at the time. Haven't watched it yet, but am excited to.

Heathers (1989)
I keep hearing good things about this, but I don't know, maybe it's the poster that keeps putting me off it? I'm not super into "teen" films, but I imagine there's something about this that sets it apart, and who knows, maybe it'll really surprise me?

Mulholland Drive (2001)
I actually have seen this, but I literally remember next to nothing about it. It's up to whoever nominated it if they want to pick something else, but it is something I've been meaning to revisit for awhile, because I couldn't even tell you the basic plot without googling it first.

The Night of the Hunter (1955)
I'm always a little uncertain about which noirs I have or haven't seen, but given how striking the images that come up on a quick search are, I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I had seen this.

The Player (1992)
The name didn't sound familiar, but I've definitely seen one of those posters somewhere before. I read the words "satirical black comedy" and stopped there, since that's all I needed to see to be interested.

Predestination (2014)
I keep getting this title mixed up with another film, and I can't quite figure out what the other film is. It was at least a couple years older, it starred a woman, and I think the poster was mainly white, perhaps with a tree in the background. I keep thinking this is that film, then getting surprised when Ethan Hawke appears in the google search. The plot of this does sound like something I'd really enjoy, but whenever it comes up, instead of adding it to my watch list, I just want to figure out what the hell that other film is.

Ratatouille (2007)
Whenever Miss Vicky brings this film up, I feel like I should check it out, but I never bother. A certain part of Everything Everywhere All At Once made me want to watch it as well, but again, not enough to bother.

The Seventh Seal (1957)
This is another film that I've been meaning to watch for what feels like forever, but keep putting off and/or forgetting to. Happy to have the push to finally watch it.

In case it gets lost in that post of mine, I'll repeat it here: I have technically seen Mulholland Drive, but really couldn't tell you anything about it, which is why I've never been comfortable making it as "seen". I'm fine having it nominated since I'd clearly need to see it again to have an opinion on it, but I'll leave it up to Cricket and whoever choose it to decide if it needs to be replaced or not.

Predestination (2014)
I keep getting this title mixed up with another film, and I can't quite figure out what the other film is. It was at least a couple years older, it starred a woman, and I think the poster was mainly white, perhaps with a tree in the background. I keep thinking this is that film, then getting surprised when Ethan Hawke appears in the google search. The plot of this does sound like something I'd really enjoy, but whenever it comes up, instead of adding it to my watch list, I just want to figure out what the hell that other film is.
For my own future reference, the movie I keep thinking has this name is actually Premonition from 2007, starring Sandra Bullock.

In case it gets lost in that post of mine, I'll repeat it here: I have technically seen Mulholland Drive, but really couldn't tell you anything about it, which is why I've never been comfortable making it as "seen". I'm fine having it nominated since I'd clearly need to see it again to have an opinion on it, but I'll leave it up to Cricket and whoever choose it to decide if it needs to be replaced or not.
I'll pm the person who picked it and let them decide.

Anyone who is curious who picked something for them or why, feel free to ask in the thread. That person can then decide if they want to respond.

Secrecy is not in the rules.

Citizen would prefer to not know who picked what for him.

Mulholland Drive is out-CODA is in!

CODA (2021)
I saw La Famille Bélier before it was disqualified from the Foreign Language HoF, and despite being clichéd and melodramatic, it was surprisingly entertaining and even quite touching at times. It'll be interesting to see how the remake compares.

CODA (2021)
I saw La Famille Bélier before it was disqualified from the Foreign Language HoF, and despite being clichéd and melodramatic, it was surprisingly entertaining and even quite touching at times. It'll be interesting to see how the remake compares.
I haven't seen La Famille Bélier, but CODA was my favourite film of 2021 and is a real crowdpleaser, so I hope you enjoy it.

The due date will be Friday, December 2nd and will be in the first post of the thread.

If anyone is having a hard time finishing on schedule, well screw you.

I think I will start with Santa Sangre. I've seen 2 other films by Alejandro Jodorowsky, one I liked and one I disliked, so we will see where this one lands.

I think I will start with Santa Sangre. I've seen 2 other films by Alejandro Jodorowsky, one I liked and one I disliked, so we will see where this one lands.
I liked it more than El Topo or The Holy Mountain.