The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This is what I wrote about Scorsese's remake - which I do prefer over the original - in my Scorsese thread...

The only true re-make Scorsese has done to date is Cape Fear, from a pulp novel called The Executioners by John D. MacDonald, previously adapted to film in 1962 by British-born director J. Lee Thompson (The Guns of Navarone), starring Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Polly Bergen, Martin Balsam and Telly Savalas. Scorsese was a big fan of the movie, one of the latter Noir classics, so he knew there was no need to re-make it in the same tone and style. His own spin on the material is quite different, though while keeping the same main plot points and conflicts, he paints a more complex morality tale for a more complex time.

The movie is about vengeance, and the inability to outrun past mistakes. Nick Nolte, who previously worked with Scorsese on the short film "Life Lessons" (one segment of the anthology New York Stories), stars as Sam Bowden, a Southern defense attorney who has just moved to a new small town with his wife, played by Jessica Lange, and teenage daughter, played by Juliette Lewis. On the surface everything is perfect, but we quickly learn that Sam is on the flirtatious verge of an adulterous affair with a co-worker (Illeana Douglas), and there is much underlying tension in the marriage because of past infidelities - part of the reason for the move and "new" start. Also, their daughter Danielle, rebellious and just coming into her sexuality though unsure of what it is, was caught with some pot at school and must take a summer school course. Despite the huge house and good job in an idyllic town, the Bowden family is far from perfect. Then enters The Devil, who comes in the form of Max Cady (DeNiro), a hard-as-nails ex-con who has just been released after a long sentence. He's come looking for Sam Bowden, his former attorney, who he blames for his incarceration - for the rape and brutal beating of a young woman. Soon Cady will be wreaking true terror on all three members of the Bowden family, at first with intimidation, building surely to life-threatening peril.

While the basics of ex-con Cady terrorizing the Bowdens are the same, this modernized version is really much, much different than the '62 flick. In the original, Mr. and Mrs. Bowden (Peck and Bergen) had a strong marriage, and their daughter was a good and happy child. Cady (Mitchum) came at them relentlessly, but his anger was really irrational and insane. In the Scorsese version, the Bowdens have all kinds of issues and faults, and Cady's rage - while certainly insane, is justified on some basic level, because we learn that Sam had actually blown the case intentionally, having essentially passed judgement on the horrible crime of his client. Peck's attorney had done his job to the letter, but Mitchum still blamed him anyway. Nolte's lawyer buried evidence that could have either gotten DeNiro's monster off completely or at least severely decreased his sentence. That decision, while understandable on a human level because Cady's crime was so viscious, is of course completely and totally wrong in regards to the ethics of the law and our system of justice. All of these changes make the story more complicated, and for me much more engaging and real (even if the tone often approaches the surreal). The Demon trying to destroy them is one of Sam's own creation, and the weaknesses Cady uses to get at them are further extensions of their own faults and failures, not just a random Hell coming to attack a perfect family.

The visuals, as well as the tone, are very stylized. Scorsese and cinematographer Freddie Francis (The Elephant Man, Glory, The Straight Story) really have fun with the look of the film, and this was Scorsese's first use of a true 2.35:1 widescreen process (something he had avoided over his career specifically because he hated seeing scope films butchered with panning and scanning for TV and video distribution, but with the advent of LaserDiscs he knew the proper aspect ratio could now be maintained), and he uses every inch of the wide frame - some amazing compositions. The musical score by Elmer Berstein is for the most part a re-arrangement of the original score from Thompson's film, a wonderful theme by the immortal Bernard Herrmann (Citizen Kane, Verigo, Psycho), who's last score was for Marty's Taxi Driver (completed quite literally in the last days of his life). It was a perfect idea, that Scorsese credits to a suggestion from DeNiro. It is a powerful and thunderous piece of music, and perfectly matches the style of the movie - part loving hommage, part winking exaggeration.

Scorsese also has loads of fun with the thriller genre conventions. For me this is his Touch of Evil. Just as Welles was able to add his artistry and perspective to a pulpy Noir tale, so does Scorsese here with material that, even with the added psychological deminsions and character flaws, is still at the roots very much a genre piece and adheres to (while still playing with and commenting upon) those rules and cliches.

Nolte is very good and controlled as Sam, and Lange is his equal as the very tough but almost at her breaking point Leigh. Juliette Lewis was an amazing find (her biggest role to that time was as Audrey in Christmas Vacation), and she was rightly Oscar nominated for her pitch perfect work as the curious teen who's budding sexuality leads straight to Hell and terror. The creepy nature of her relationship with Cady is another ingredient absent from the original, as you'd expect. And of course, yet again, DeNiro (also Oscar nominated) goes through another physical and karmic transformation to become the super-muscular, overly-tattooed monster with a thick Southern drawl and a head full of vengeance and Bible quotations. His performance is pitched at the same stylized level as the visuals and tone, and while certainly over-the-top, it is an intentional camp that still manages to be credibly horrifying and believable while also cartoonish and broad, a real multi-dimensional character and a parody at the same time.

The supporting cast includes Joe Don Baker (Charley Varrick, Walking Tall) as a private investigator Sam hires to help steer Cady clear of his family, good ol' Fred Dalton Thompson (The Hunt for Red October, Die Hard 2) as Bowden's boss, and in three wonderful cameos as a cop, a lawyer and a judge respectively, Bob Mitchum, Gregory Peck and Martin Balsam - the stars of the '62 film.

"Maybe I'm the Big Bad Wolf?"

Because some of the thriller conventions are so silly out of context, and because the entire movie is stylized so over-the-top, building to a fantastic if unlikely crescendo of a finale, Cape Fear is probably easily dismissed by many as nothing more than a slick and ridiculous thriller, which on one level it is. But there is much more to the movie than those simple surface elements, and it makes for one of Scorsese's most fun and accessible works (though definitely adult and grisly).

An interesting trvia note: Cape Fear was originally supposed to be made by Steven Spielberg, and Schindler's List by Scorsese. They essentially traded projects, when Marty thought a Jewish director might bring something he couldn't to the material. The Cape Fear screenwriter, Wesley Strick (Arachnophobia, Wolf), had adapted the original with Spielberg in mind, and as you'd imagine the movie was far less dark and not as morally murky. When he learned Scorsese was helming the project, he gleefully excised the perfect family for the troubled group and demonic terror. Scorsese was rewarded with the most commercially successful movie of his career, and Spielberg with dozens of awards. But, oh, to imagine Schindler in the hands of Martin Scorsese...!

Cape Fear was released as a special edition R1 DVD in 2001 (as was the 1962 original version), including deleted scenes and an excellent retrospective documentary. No commentary track though (again, too busy with Gangs of New York).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Couldn't re-watch both Cape Fears in time but love them both and expected both to make it without my vote. I agree the remake is slightly more potent but more about that later, hopefully. Also needed to re-watch Mona Lisa. Bob Hoskins is great so fingers crossed he shows up on the list a couple more times.

Ow yeah! Here come the 90’s Neo noir gems! Intense, twisty, small southern town vibe noir with eccentric but believable and perfectly cast characters. Great story, score, and a strong true noir ending, love this film, it was my #4.

SEEN 24/28
BALLOT 5/25

25. Mirage (1965)
22. In the Heat of the Night (1967)
17. The Driver (1978)
08. The Hot Spot (1990)
04. One False Move (1992)

The thing is: I dislike the strong negative emotions created by a movie about helpless victims being threatened by an evil person for the duration of the film. Though I'm sure it's a great film, I know it's a classic. But feeling annoying anxiety until the very end of a film when the victims triumph over the evil person, just isn't fun for me. Though I'm guessing people must enjoy that release of their emotional tension with the killing of the evil person or evil creature. I hope that make's sense?
Definitely. I think atmosphere is the reason I don’t care much for horror. Most just feels unrelentingly oppressive. Not sure why thrillers don’t do the same to me, but it actually seems like the opposite. I love a good crime thriller 9/10 times.

Definitely. I think atmosphere is the reason I don’t care much for horror. Most just feels unrelentingly oppressive. Not sure why thrillers don’t do the same to me, but it actually seems like the opposite. I love a good crime thriller 9/10 times.
I can like a crime thriller if it's the criminal on the ropes.

Don't forget...

I never finished Cape Fear, maybe because that episode spoiled it for me!
The whole episode is great, but the "FBI/Thompson" bit has got to be one of my Top 3 favorite moments of the show. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing.

None in my ballot. Cape Fear is a good film, I should really watch the original.

This is what I wrote about One False Move as I saw it very recently:

I watched this because Patton Oswalt raved about it in his Criterion closet picks. It's fine, not blisteringly good, but just fine.

The late Bill Paxton bless him, is quite good but a little over the top as the less than tactful smalltown cop. Most of the characters are a little over the top to be honest, from the L.A. Detective pouring a boozy hip flask in his morning coffee in a diner, to the violent Billy Bob Thornton saying "*********" and "Son of a bitch" every few minutess (I counted 9 Goddammits). Thornton co-wrote the screenplay too, so you might have thought he’d be a little more adventurous in his vocabulary.

At the end of the day it’s a slightly better than average neo-noir about a murderous trio on the run who end up in a sleepy backwater town, while the cops wait for them. There’s a racial undertone and a subplot of a hidden secret. A fun Saturday night type of film

6.9/10

The whole episode is great, but the "FBI/Thompson" bit has got to be one of my Top 3 favorite moments of the show. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing.
Dan Castellaneta's delivery of "I think he's talking to you" will never not be funny.

I wait patiently until I can sit and do another watch thru on that series again.

2 for 2. I've seen the two versions of Cape Fear and do love them both but prefer Scorcese's just a bit more. And One False Move was #18 on my ballot.

15 of 28.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... CAPE FEAR

RT – 96%, IMDb – 7.7

Derya Cetin said:

"Cape Fear approaches the classic film noir in terms of characters. Although there is no femme fatale in the movie, detective Charlie Sievers, lawman Sam Bowden, villain Max Caddy overlaps with the characters of the classic film noir." (read full document here)
Jessica Schneider, from Auto Machination, said:

"A noir might be limited by its genre, but it can still thrive within that genre. Cape Fear does." (read full review here)
@Gideon58 said:

"The original Cape Fear [is] a moody psychological thriller that works thanks to a consistently fascinating story and strong direction that creates Hitchcock-calibre suspense throughout." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... ONE FALSE MOVE

RT – 93%, IMDb – 7.1

Roger Ebert said:

"No words of praise can quite reflect the seductive strength of One False Move, which begins as a crime story and ends as a human story in which everything that happens depends on the personalities of the characters." (read full review here)
Nick Bartlett, from Critical Popcorn, said:

"A wonderfully gritty slice of noir, One False Move is lean, uncompromising and palpably nasty without being gratuitous. From the chilling murders of the opening scene to the climactic shootout, it commands your attention for every minute of its runtime." (read full review here)
@Takoma11 said:

"This is a film with a lot of moving parts and, at the same time, the kind of film that moves unwaveringly toward what we know must be the ending--some sort of showdown/shootout in Star City. What is really amazing about it is the way that it milks tension from shorter, more contained sequences, even as the broader story moves toward its inevitable conclusion." (read full review here)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Here one more admirer of the Scorsese's version of Cape Fear.

For some reason, I'm not attracted to see Cape Fear of the sixties.

I've seen the remake of Cape Fear, but not the original. It's very good, but disturbing enough to make it a difficult watch.

The Simpsons episode is one of the funniest, ever.

AWARDS?

Under the Silver Lake received several nominations and awards. These are some of them:
  • Two (2) Sitges Catalonian International Film Festival nominations, including the Critics Award
  • Two (2) Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival nominations, including the Youth Award (David Robert Mitchell)
  • Two (2) International Online Cinema Award nominations, including a win for Best Actor (Andrew Garfield)
  • Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or nomination
  • Chlotrudis Award nomination for Buried Treasure

AWARDS?

The Silence of the Lambs received a sh!tload of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Seven (7) Academy Award nominations, including the "Big Five"
  • Nine (9) BAFTA Award nominations, including two wins for Best Actor and Actress (Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster)
  • Five (5) Golden Globe Award nominations, including one win for Best Actress (Foster)
  • Four (4) National Board of Review Awards, including Best Film
  • Two (2) Saint Jordi Award nominations, including one win for Best Actor (Hopkins)

AWARDS?

Under the Silver Lake received several nominations and awards. These are some of them:
  • Two (2) Sitges Catalonian International Film Festival nominations, including the Critics Award
  • Two (2) Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival nominations, including the Youth Award (David Robert Mitchell)
  • Two (2) International Online Cinema Award nominations, including a win for Best Actor (Andrew Garfield)
  • Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or nomination
  • Chlotrudis Award nomination for Buried Treasure
AWARDS?

The Silence of the Lambs received a sh!tload of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Seven (7) Academy Award nominations, including the "Big Five"
  • Nine (9) BAFTA Award nominations, including two wins for Best Actor and Actress (Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster)
  • Five (5) Golden Globe Award nominations, including one win for Best Actress (Foster)
  • Four (4) National Board of Review Awards, including Best Film
  • Two (2) Saint Jordi Award nominations, including one win for Best Actor (Hopkins)
Forgot these two yesterday, so now my OCD will be pestering me through all the countdown because they're in the middle of the next batch.

AWARDS?

Cape Fear didn't receive any awards, but One False Move received the following nominations and awards:
  • The Cognac Festival du Film Policier Grand Prix and Critics Award
  • Two (2) Fantasporto International Fantasy Film Award nominations, including Best Screenplay (Billy Bob Thornton and Tom Epperson)
  • Five (5) Film Independent Spirit Award nominations, including a win for Best Director (Carl Franklin)
  • Two (2) Mystfest award nominations, including Best Director (Franklin)
  • MTV Movie Award for Best New Filmmaker (Franklin)

Cape Fear is terrific and I think I prefer it slightly to the remake. Both would probably make my top 40.

I'm surprised to see One False Move, not because it isn't good, but because I don't think it's that widely seen. With all the disturbing movies I watch, the beginning of this one really gets to me. A good film but a bit unpleasant.

Random list facts...

Obviously, things will change as the list goes on, but so far things have been really tight. The biggest point gap has been three (3) between Mona Lisa (48 points) and Manhunter (51 points).

On that same line, there have been 10 ties, including two 3-way ties from #99 to #97 and from #74 to tomorrow's #72.

So far, there has been just one (1) film with a 100% RT score: The Man from Nowhere.

On a similar line, the highest IMDb scores so far have been for The Silence of the Lambs (8.6) and Shutter Island (8.2) while the lowest has been The Hot Spot (6.4) and Under the Silver Lake (6.5).