Archer's Ongoing Favorite Films List

Tools    

Do you have a reference to that? Considering he died months after he finished it I would find that hard to come by.
He died the day after he submitted the final cut, about 3 or so days before the premier.

Ugh, I didn't think this through enough. I don't which film to choose as number ten. I realize I'm sorely lacking in Tarantino and Lars Von Trier and The Coen Brothers and Spielberg and... Hmm... Plus there are many others I'm debating. I may have to make this my top 20

Favorite Film 10
Artificial Intelligence
Dir. Steven Spielberg

Among film addicts A.I. seems to split people down to middle. What was going to be Kubrick's next project was passed over to Spielberg personally and some found their two distinct styles didn't mesh well. Especially the sentimental, tear-jerking ending, which many blamed was Spielberg's fault, when they couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, the ending we see in A.I. was Kubrick's original vision, and not Spielberg's contribution. Working closely from the wealth of information and research Kubrick left in Spielberg's hands, the resulting film was nothing short of fascinating. This may be one of Spielberg's most challenging and underrated pictures, but I found it to be a breathtaking, visionary, and fascinating motion picture. It contains some of the greatest sequences of Spielberg's career, one of John William's greatest scores, and it never fails to move me to tears every time I watch it. Haley Joel Osment gives a phenomenal performance (notice the subtle transformation of his facial expression after his 'mother' has read him the list of words (which were specifically picked by kubrick)). This is also one of the director's darkest efforts, a fairy tale, but one for adults only. There are so many grand sights to behold, from the moon on the rise, to Rouge City (filled with Kubrickian imagery) to the flesh fair, which brings back memories of some robot holocaust. Jude Law is also terrific as Gigalo Joe, hugely charismatic and always great to watch. Ultimately, A.I. doesn't get enough credit, because even beneath the seamless , eye-popping, special effects, there is an underlying powerful story of love. A tragic, dark, but visionary masterpiece (I'm sure many will disagree.) A.I. is the best film of Spielberg's post 2000 career. (Check out the bluray if you can, it raises the film to a whole new level.) I just love this film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He died the day after he submitted the final cut, about 3 or so days before the premier.
Hw died March 7, and it premiered July 13.

You probably mean that he died 4 days after he presented it to Warner Bros. He was already dead when it premiered.

You probably mean that he died 4 days after he presented it to Warner Bros. He was already dead when it premiered.
That's what I meant. Sorry I haven't slept in 2 days.

Awesome. What are you studying, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind you asking at all. I'm studying Film Making and Video Production.

I don't mind you asking at all. I'm studying Film Making and Video Production.
That's awesome and it's precisely what I study. I'll be graduating and in LA (in Chicago now) within a year. When you make it out there, hit me up. We'll try and put something together.

Do you have a reference to that? Considering he died months after he finished it I would find that hard to come by.
WT's correct. In an interview, Kubrick's brother-in-law/producer Jan Harlan stated, "Let it suffice to say that Stanley Kubrick considered Eyes Wide Shut his greatest contribution to the art of the cinema."

it premiered July 13.
Hey, that's my birthday!

From you're favorites,I have only seen Magnolia,A.I and Dogville.While I think A.I. was mediocre,I really enjoyed Dogville and Magnolia.I will definitely see Persona someday,not sure about other films though.
Anyway,you seem to have a very interesting and unique taste,it would be nice to see more of your favorites.

Yoda or Sedai can change the thread title for you, too, so that it reads 20 instead of 10.
To answer your earlier post, I'd love to collaborate on something someday!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. And how do I ask Yoda or Sedai to change the title?