Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By © 2003 Disney/Pixar. All Rights Reserved., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34252717

Finding Nemo - (2003)

Just catching up on everything for the 2000s countdown. Pixar films are very easy viewing, and good for a chuckle. Finding Nemo is no exception - I'm surprised I haven't seen it until now. And jeez - Pixar don't mind starting their films off in dark and sad fashions. First the prologue in Up nearly has me in tears, next Nemo's entire family is basically wiped out at the start of this fun adventure. Makes you really believe in the stakes. Really wish these films had of been around when I was a kid.

8/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.cinemotions.net/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11434693

Caramel - 2007 - Lebanon

Gave this a shot but not really my kind of thing - or else I wasn't in the mood for it. Follows the lives of several ladies living in Beirut, working in beauty parlors and seamstress shops. One is getting married, worried that she's not a virgin. She's gonna have to fake it. Another is having an affair with a guy that at the same time loves his wife and kid. My favourite character was the crazy old lady - because they didn't skimp at all on the crazy. Completely lost her mind. There's a lot of lady-type bonding going on, and if you want to hang out with a guy...well, you know how things are in some parts of the world. If you're seen talking with a guy in the same car it's considered indecent. I was trying hard not to fall asleep - but don't take that as a comment on the movie as a whole - it seems like a very good film for those willing to get into it's character's shoes. A film about close friends and trying times - and if there's a movie I could go back to later on and try again it might be this one.

6/10

By http://entertainment.circuitcity.com...d&store=Movies, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15381677

War Dance - (2007)

Great Academy Award nominated documentary about a group of kids from the war-torn north of Uganda who have been intimately involved with all kinds of horrific atrocities (one recounted her parent's heads being pulled out of a container so she could identify them.) They're competing in a music competition, and so from their horror stories things take a turn as they practice and eventually end up in Kampala competing against Ugandans that look down on them due to the segment of Uganda they come from. Very well edited together and moving. Made me want to travel and see Uganda myself.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Really good political thriller. A politician is killed right out in the open, in front of everybody, yet there appears to be a coverup. How high up does it go? Starts quick and never really slows down. I knew right off the bat that I was probably going to like this when a disclaimer at the beginning said "Any similarity to real persons and events is not coincidental."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

To the Ends of the Earth (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2019)
5.5/10
Dangerous (David Hackl, 2021)
5/10
L'Innocente (Luchino Visconti, 1976)
6/10
Finch (Miguel Sapochnik, 2021)
6.5/10

Goodyear the dog (Seamus), Jeff the robot (Caleb Landry Jones) and his creator Finch (Tom Hanks) travel west in an RV to escape bad weather and people in a post-apocalyptic world.
Liebelei AKA Playing at Love (Max Ophüls, 1933)
6/10
Taking Tiger Mountain (Kent Smith &Tom Huckabee, 1983)
5/10 WTF Rating 8/10
Maelström (Denis Villeneuve, 2000)
+ 6/10
Air Force (Howard Hawks, 1943)
6.5/10

All-star cast, including John Garfield, in an action-packed WWII epic about a bomber unit's experiences during and after Pearl Harbor.
The Fighting Parson (Charles Rogers & Fred Guiol, 1930)
6/10
Ladies of the Chorus (Phil Karlson, 1948)
5.5/10
Fire Will Come (Oliver Laxe, 2019)
6/10
The Beta Test (Jim Cummings & PJ McCabe, 2021)
6/10

Hollywood agent Jim Cummings does several weird and bad things in the weeks leading up to his marriage to his longtime fiancee Virginia Newcomb.
The Penitent Man (Nicholas Gyeney, 2010)
+ 6/10
Time Out for Rhythm (Sidney Salkow, 1941)
5.5/10
Moments Like This Never Last (Cheryl Dunn, 2020)
6/10
The Search (Fred Zinnemann, 1948)
+ 6.5/10

The heart-rending scene at the end with Ivan Jandl and Montgomery Clift.
The Deep House (Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, 2021)
6/10
The Spore (D.M. Cunningham, 2021)
4/10
Lake Michigan Monster (Ryland Brickson Cole Tews, 2018)
6-/10
The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (Will Sharpe, 2021)
6.5/10

Eccentric English artist Louis Wain (Benedict Cumberbatch), his per cat Peter and his loving wife Claire Foy in happy days.

Air Force (Howard Hawks, 1943)
6.5/10

All-star cast, including John Garfield, in an action-packed WWII epic about a bomber unit's experiences during and after Pearl Harbor.
I'm assuming FDR tells somebody "Get off my plane!" before shoving them off a B-17?

Eye of the Devil, 1966

Catherine (Deborah Kerr) has a happy marriage to her husband, Philippe (David Niven) with a lovely home and two children, Jacques (Robert Duncan) and Antoinette (Suky Appleby). That all changes, though, when Phillipe is summoned back to his home village, a place where the vineyards owned by Phillipe's family provide work and income for half of the citizens. When Catherine and the children follow Phillipe to his home castle, things get very strange very quickly. Catherine is alarmed by the odd and cruel behavior of local siblings Christian (David Hemmings) and Odile (Sharon Tate), and the local priest, Dominic (Donald Pleasence). And it seems that Phillipe's ancestors have an odd habit of meeting untimely ends . . .

This was a really solid recommendation from @crumbsroom, so hat tip for that.

For me, this film ended up feeling like an interesting mix of The Innocents and The Wicker Man. Kerr is really great as a woman who slowly begins to realize that strange things are afoot, and she's the only one not in on them. To quote a person I was watching this with, "Dang, they are gaslighting this woman hardcore."

The real star of this film, for me, was the way that it was shot. In both Hemmings and Tate, director J Lee Thompson has two very interesting, photogenic people on hand, and he makes the most of their unique, handsome profiles. Christian has a habit of shooting the local doves with a large bow and arrow, rarely appearing without them. His presence adds a menacing, old-timey sense to the film. At times, when blowing a huge bugle or riding around on a large white horse, he almost feels more like the herald of some apocalypse. Tate exudes her own menace, using a serene smile whether she's in the middle of a conversation or about to let a character walk off of a rooftop. The camera swoops, weaves, and at times tilts to crazy angles.

There's also a real solid sense of the mythology that the film is building, partly through exposition, but partly through just the way that certain characters exchange glances or drop a piece of information. It's a film that makes sense when all is said and done, and the logic of what happens is part of what makes it so spooky.

There was very little that I didn't like here. I suppose one thing that bothered me was the way that Catherine focused almost exclusively on her husband and (to a lesser extent) her oldest son. I'm not really into the thing of excoriating women for not being perfect mothers, but it's kind of strange just how little she seems to . . . . care about about the well being of her children. At one certain point in particular it felt particularly negligent and just weird. Even in the last 2 minutes of the movie I was like "UM WHAT?!".

Really solid little supernatural thriller with amazing photography.

You Only Live Once - This 1937 lovers-on-the-run drama is often cited as one of the first ever noirs and was director Fritz Lang's second American feature following up the just as praiseworthy Fury. This one again stars Sylvia Sidney as Joan Graham, the personal secretary to the Public Defender. Joan has fallen in love with repeat offender Eddie Taylor (Henry Fonda) and with the help of her boss Stephen Whitney (Barton MacLane) gets Eddie an early parole so they can be married. Eddie goes to work as a delivery truck driver but it isn't long before he gets in trouble with his boss whom he assaults after getting fired. In the meantime Monk, one of his old acquaintances from prison, robs a bank and kills several people before planting evidence that leads the authorities to Eddie. After meeting with Joan she tries to convince him to give himself up but Eddie knows the legal system is stacked against people like him. He's quickly apprehended and convicted based mostly on his previous offenses and is then sentenced to die. He holds Joan responsible for his predicament in not letting him immediately run but asks her to help him escape. She's eventually stopped by the kindhearted prison chaplain Father Dolan (William Gargan) but Eddie gets help from a former cellmate and takes the prison doctor hostage. In typical 1930's melodramatic fashion, Eddie's pardon comes in after the armored bank car, missing loot and Monk are discovered submerged in a mountain lake. But by this time Eddie and his hostage have gotten out of the prison yard and he manages to escape in a hail of bullets.

The rest of the film consists of Joan and Eddie on the run before it heads for a tearjerker of a finale. It's a bleak film but very effective in depicting the kind of doomed relationship that other films have attempted and failed at. Sidney does an admirable job of making Joan a sympathetic figure and selling the concept of a good woman putting her faith in the wrong guy. The only question left is why and that burden falls on the screenplay. Lang obviously meant for Eddie to stand-in for all the hundreds or thousands of men who have been misjudged, mistreated and railroaded by an unfair and unfeeling legal system. But Fonda's Eddie just isn't that effective of a symbol and that's mostly due to his character being too meager a figure. Other than that Lang manages to elevate a bromidic tale and turn it into something serviceable and heartfelt.

85/100

Victim of The Night

Eye of the Devil, 1966

Catherine (Deborah Kerr) has a happy marriage to her husband, Philippe (David Niven) with a lovely home and two children, Jacques (Robert Duncan) and Antoinette (Suky Appleby). That all changes, though, when Phillipe is summoned back to his home village, a place where the vineyards owned by Phillipe's family provide work and income for half of the citizens. When Catherine and the children follow Phillipe to his home castle, things get very strange very quickly. Catherine is alarmed by the odd and cruel behavior of local siblings Christian (David Hemmings) and Odile (Sharon Tate), and the local priest, Dominic (Donald Pleasence). And it seems that Phillipe's ancestors have an odd habit of meeting untimely ends . . .

This was a really solid recommendation from @crumbsroom, so hat tip for that.

For me, this film ended up feeling like an interesting mix of The Innocents and The Wicker Man. Kerr is really great as a woman who slowly begins to realize that strange things are afoot, and she's the only one not in on them. To quote a person I was watching this with, "Dang, they are gaslighting this woman hardcore."

The real star of this film, for me, was the way that it was shot. In both Hemmings and Tate, director J Lee Thompson has two very interesting, photogenic people on hand, and he makes the most of their unique, handsome profiles. Christian has a habit of shooting the local doves with a large bow and arrow, rarely appearing without them. His presence adds a menacing, old-timey sense to the film. At times, when blowing a huge bugle or riding around on a large white horse, he almost feels more like the herald of some apocalypse. Tate exudes her own menace, using a serene smile whether she's in the middle of a conversation or about to let a character walk off of a rooftop. The camera swoops, weaves, and at times tilts to crazy angles.

There's also a real solid sense of the mythology that the film is building, partly through exposition, but partly through just the way that certain characters exchange glances or drop a piece of information. It's a film that makes sense when all is said and done, and the logic of what happens is part of what makes it so spooky.

There was very little that I didn't like here. I suppose one thing that bothered me was the way that Catherine focused almost exclusively on her husband and (to a lesser extent) her oldest son. I'm not really into the thing of excoriating women for not being perfect mothers, but it's kind of strange just how little she seems to . . . . care about about the well being of her children. At one certain point in particular it felt particularly negligent and just weird. Even in the last 2 minutes of the movie I was like "UM WHAT?!".

Really solid little supernatural thriller with amazing photography.

Yeah, I enjoyed this one.

Yeah, I enjoyed this one.
I hadn't heard of it until Crumbsroom mentioned it. (Or maybe when I say "I hadn't heard of XYZ . . ." it's just that it never stuck in my head).

But I thought it was really solid and just looked fantastic. I also liked how quickly it gets to the good stuff. I mean, not ten minutes in
WARNING: spoilers below
Kerr stumbles on some Satanic-ish ceremony with robed figures

Key thoughts from the group on the couch:

"Wow, that looks a lot like Deborah Kerr!"
"That is Deborah Kerr."
"That would explain it!"

Wife in movie: "He pointed a bow and arrow at me, he could have killed me!"
Husband in movie: "Aw, he's a really good shot. He wouldn't have killed you."
All of us on the couch: "BOO! Time for a divorce!"

Victim of The Night

Well that was a ****ing bummer.
I watched this movie because I've been depressed lately and was having a particularly bad day today and wanted something that could only uplift me, which is kinda how the reputation of the film is per the internet.
And now I'm sad. Sadder than I was. Great. Thanks, Internet.

Victim of The Night
I hadn't heard of it until Crumbsroom mentioned it. (Or maybe when I say "I hadn't heard of XYZ . . ." it's just that it never stuck in my head).

But I thought it was really solid and just looked fantastic. I also liked how quickly it gets to the good stuff. I mean, not ten minutes in
Kerr stumbles on some Satanic-ish ceremony with robed figures

Key thoughts from the group on the couch:

"Wow, that looks a lot like Deborah Kerr!"
"That is Deborah Kerr."
"That would explain it!"

Wife in movie: "He pointed a bow and arrow at me, he could have killed me!"
Husband in movie: "Aw, he's a really good shot. He wouldn't have killed you."
All of us on the couch: "BOO! Time for a divorce!"
Yeah, it was another of dozens if not hundreds of movies that gave me pleasure I've seen simply because on Sundays I would get up and turn on TCM and leave it on all day whatever I was doing and if something caught my attention I would sit and watch it. So many movies I saw this way. Hell, I've seen about half of the Maisie just because Ann Southern made that character compelling enough I always sat down and watched them.

A Letter to Three Wives, 1949

Rita (Ann Sothern), Deborah (Jeanne Crain), and Lora Mae (Linda Darnell) are about to board a ship to take a group of children out for a day on the water when they receive a letter addressed to all of them. The letter, from their friend Addie Ross, announces her departure from town and, oh yes, the fact that she has run off with one of their husbands. Only she won't say who. In a series of flashbacks, we get glimpses into each of the three marriages and their struggles, all the while waiting to discover whose husband isn't returning home for dinner.

This was a really charming, interesting film with really strong performances and some fun dynamics between the characters.

I want to start by noting that this film features an uncredited(!) Thelma Ritter in the role of Sadie, the opinionated maid of one of the families. Her line readings are amazing ("I will not wear the cap," she says of a uniform purchased for her by her employer. "It makes me look like a lamb chop wearing pants."). After Pciup on South Street I feel compelled to keep the Ritter hype going.

Anyway, I enjoyed this film quite a lot, and thought that it walked the line between comedy and drama really nicely. The relationship I found the most interesting was that of Rita and her husband, George (Kirk Douglas). In an interesting role-reversal, Rita makes more money than George because she is employed at a successful advertising firm. The two of them frequently clash over Rita working long hours and basically bowing to the whims of her boss---the unimaginatively named Mrs. Manleigh. (Get it? GET IT?!). Given the era, I was relieved that the ultimate solution to this problem was not something like Rita quitting her job, but rather for her to set boundaries at work.

I was also charmed by Lora Mae's story, in which she seduces a very cynical wealthy man named Porter (Paul Douglas), who knows exactly what she's up to as she finds excuses to show him her legs or reach across him to the seat of the car. What could have been a bit about pure gold-digging is instead a bit more nuanced than that. Both parties are aware of the dynamic, and yet that dynamic does not preclude actual affection.

Deborah's story is the most dramatic, with the idea that she perpetually feels insecure at her modest roots compared with the wealth of her husband. She also has a neat backstory, having worked in the female branch of the Navy during World War 2.

I thought that it was really cool to see a movie about troubled marriages with a hefty dose of nuance in how their problems were portrayed and resolved. There are so many things that the film could have blandly moralized about---a woman having a job that takes up much of her time, a woman intentionally pursuing a man because of his wealth. Instead, the film takes a sympathetic view towards all of the characters. You can understand the point of view of the wives and the husbands, especially the Douglas character who works as a teacher and struggles with the nakedly commercial nature of his wife's work.

I thought that this film was funny and dramatic and the central mystery--about which husband would be a no-show in the end--was a great and interesting way to frame the whole thing.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22393120

March of the Penguins - (2005)

This is one of the more famous documentaries out there - beating Enron : The Smartest Guys in the Room for the Best Doc Feature Oscar in 2006. Has Morgan Freeman (in the English version - the doc is originally French) explain how Emperor Penguins walk a hundred miles, find a mate, then share the hatching and rearing duties during a winter in Antarctica - which is brutal. As I hear things about the French version (and how much better it may be) my rating starts going down - but I enjoyed watching this, and I'm left to marvel at nature yet again.

7/10

Of Penguins and Men - (2004)

Descriptive documentary about the making of March of the Penguins - making it a documentary about a documentary. I could smell the penguins myself at times (apparently they stink) and feel the cold.

7/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/phone_booth.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1000531

Phone Booth - (2002)

This was a bit of a bummer for me - Phone Booth is generally well regarded, but it didn't gel with me at all. I just felt the premise was so unrealistic that I couldn't suspend disbelief and get into it. Stu (Colin Farrell) gets stuck in a phone booth, terrorized by a sniper and goaded into making admissions to loved ones and the public. When the cops arrive (after a bystander is shot) there's a standoff as Stu tries to convince them he's not the shooter. I thought those cops would have ended that situation in a second - especially considering Stu wasn't holding a weapon or didn't have a hostage. So I just waited for this to be over much like the cops just stood around as if Stu had a bomb strapped to him. Director Joel Schumacher and b-movie screenwriter Larry Cohen are both hit and miss prospects for me.

4/10

Tonight, it's back to the Romans, The Eagle. A young centurian comes to Britain to find, by any means possible, a military standard, an eagle, that was lost when his father's legion disappeared into the Celtic wilds. After being wounded in a battle, he is honorably discharged from the army, but continues his quest with a slave that he saved. Into the wilderness of northern Britain they go, encountering what the Romans see as barbarians and tatooed "savages", similar to the ones described by Julius Caesar in his narratives. And, don't forget the mysterious Picts, painted blue (again, described by Caesar), who make an appearance when you need reminding that what's now Scotland, above the Wall of Trajan, was a long way from Rome.

This one is interesting in that it done mostly without any digital FX, but with live action. As much as possible, the tribesmen actually spoke Celtic languages and, unlike most movies about Romans, the Romans don't have British accents, even though they are speaking English and not Latin, which would be a problem for the audience; English substitutes for conversational Latin here. It's low budget but, surprisingly gritty, humane and believable.

The Third Man (Reed, '49)

We should've dug deeper than a grave.

While the cinematic and literary roots of Film Noir stretch back well before the 40's, it's only natural that the genre would truly begin to flourish during that decade, as it obviously saw the global devastation of World War II, an event that brought a newfound paranoia and anxiety upon the world, even among the nations that were left relatively unscathed in its wake. And so, keeping that in mind, it only makes sense that Carol Reed's The Third Man had such a close connection to that conflict, as the film expertly balances its status as a living history lesson with being a wonderful piece of entertainment at the same time, telling a fantastic mystery set amongst the rubble of post-war Europe, and becoming one of the greatest Classical-era Noirs ever made in the process, if not, at the risk of hyperbole, the greatest.

It tells the story of Holly Martins, a self-described "hack writer" of pulp Westerns, who travels to Vienna in order to accept some sort of vague job offer from Harry Lime, an old friend of his. However, as soon as the hapless Holly arrives there, he's shocked to learn that Lime recently died, apparently killed in a freak car accident... that is, until a number of details fail to add up, forcing Holly to reopen the closed case himself, connecting with an old flame of Lime's that refuses to burn out, all the while continually dodging the murderous denizens of the local underworld, as he digs ever deeper into the seedy past of his "dead" friend, buried amongst the labyrinthian rubble of a post-war Vienna.

It's a fairly rich, multi-layered mystery, but rather than getting tangled up in unnecessarily convoluted "plot knots" like such genre peers as The Big Sleep, Graham Greene's sharply-written screenplay instead remains streamlined throughout, never becoming overly complicated just for the sake of it, but only throwing new wrinkles into the story when they're strictly needed, which keeps things intriguing without ever overwhelming us in the process. Anyway, speaking of other Noirs, The Third Man also distinguishes itself from them with its unexpected sense of fun, forgoing the fatalism that often characterized the genre with its generally lighter tone, literally from the start, with the close-up of Anton Karas's zither as it begins to play the quirky, iconic score, and continuing with a number of playful or comedic moments throughout, whether it be the sight of a small child leading a mob through the streets of Vienna, a hilarious misunderstanding involving a unwanted chauffer, or the unexpected appearance of a talking parrot at a most inconvenient moment.

All that being said though, there's still absolutely no doubt that The Third Man is a work of Film Noir on the whole, whether it be the deep, monstrously distorted shadows of its high-contrast lighting, or the way that the off-kilter dutch angles of Robert Krasker's virtuosic cinematography create a sort of topsy-turvy, funhouse mirror of reality. And, character-wise, the fresh faced, almost newborn-like naivety of Joseph Cotten's Martins starts to give way to the kind of cynicism we expect from a Noir protagonist, as he's repeatedly splashed with the cold water of Harry's greedy, sociopathic behavior throughout, with Lime himself making a tremendous impact with very little actual screentime, particularly during one of the greatest character reveals ever filmed.

But of course, despite the presence of such screen icons as Orson Welles, the real star here is Vienna itself, as the film was filmed on-location amongst the rubble of the once-glorious national capital, still recovering from the continent-wide post-war "hangover", as a devastated city divided up among the authorities of various post-war powers, with the classy architecture of the buildings that were lucky enough to survive the war, and the rubble of the ones that weren't, providing a concrete maze for the characters to survive, and concealing a new mystery around each and every one of its sharp corners, giving the city just as much character as any of the actual, well, characters. It's this conspiratorial atmosphere the locale provides that further sets The Third Man apart as a film, makes it one of the finest examples of its genre, and ultimately creates an experience that's just as fresh and entertaining today as it was over half a century ago; now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go get some zither lessons.

Final Score: 10