The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh, and I almost forgot numbers 101-99:

Haven't seen The Seventh Seal (although I do remember it being influential in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey). I haven't seen an Ingmar Bergman yet but there's nothing really stopping me from doing so (outside of maybe not having a Criterion subscription or something).

No, I haven't seen Brazil, either. I think maybe the only Gilliam I've seen is Fear and Loathing and maybe that's not truly representative of his work. But I'd be willing...

I have seen Suspiria a few times. I do think there were some strong visuals and some clever kills. But the third act felt kind of weak and I found the musical score to be irritating (although I'm in the minority, apparently).

Alright, I'm now all caught up.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Across the Universe? That one made me cringe too =\

That was it.

I recognize the title... I didn't care much, because if it wasn't going to be good, I had a few hours with my long-distance lover... If she was here right now, I wouldn't mind watching that crap on loop

Dancin' in the Rain? perhaps Singing in the Rain...

I dont watch a lot of musicals but Brigadoon is one of my favorites. Did you ever watch "Tommy" or "The Wall"? those are considered musicals.

Singing, yes, thanks, lol.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band ever, and I did see "The Wall", but I didn't like it. I think the concert tells the story better. Have you seen "Roger Waters - The Wall"? It was made into a movie, which is a lot of concert, some documentary, and some fiction.

The Who is a Top 5 band of mine, but I haven't seen "Tommy", but thought about it when I was watching a Who documentary just two days ago (on Quadrophenia, my favorite album)..

Singing, yes, thanks, lol.

Pink Floyd is my favorite band ever, and I did see "The Wall", but I didn't like it. I think the concert tells the story better. Have you seen "Roger Waters - The Wall"? It was made into a movie, which is a lot of concert, some documentary, and some fiction.

The Who is a Top 5 band of mine, but I haven't seen "Tommy", but thought about it when I was watching a Who documentary just two days ago (on Quadrophenia, my favorite album)..
I remember seeing Tommy when I was a teen (in the early 80s) I remember liking it .. just like I like The Wall.

I haven't seen Roger Waters - The Wall...

I was born in the latter part of the 60s.. and had 2 older brothers.. I grew up listening to the music of the 70s...

Movies like those will never make a countdown like this..

That was it.

I recognize the title... I didn't care much, because if it wasn't going to be good, I had a few hours with my long-distance lover... If she was here right now, I wouldn't mind watching that crap on loop

I was going to have to go on a tear about the idea that ANY Beatle movie could ever be called embarrassing. Finding out we're talking about Across the Universe alleviates that problem....for now.

AtU is one of the worst movies ever made. And I have lots of worst movies ever made, so I know what I'm talking about.

I remember seeing Tommy when I was a teen (in the early 80s) I remember liking it .. just like I like The Wall.

I haven't seen Roger Waters - The Wall...

I was born in the latter part of the 60s.. and had 2 older brothers.. I grew up listening to the music of the 70s...

I was born in the early 80s, but 99% of the movies and music was made pre-me. There has been some good stand-up comedy made in my lifetime, though. They just canceled the Stand-up HOF which would have been interesting had they allowed audio, or even just to see without participating, although I wouldn't like to see a bias; being skewed towards the last couple years, since the best "specials" were comedy albums on vinyl.

Because of my obsession with the direction/history of art, I'm very interested not only in this list, but to also compare it to the one from here ten years ago.

I was born in the early 80s, but 99% of the movies and music was made pre-me. There has been some good stand-up comedy made in my lifetime, though. They just canceled the Stand-up HOF which would have been interesting had they allowed audio, or even just to see without participating, although I wouldn't like to see a bias; being skewed towards the last couple years, since the best "specials" were comedy albums on vinyl.

Because of my obsession with the direction/history of art, I'm very interested not only in this list, but to also compare it to the one from here ten years ago.
Most of the films I consider are great are as old as me or older... they would never make this list... I would say 50% are foreign films. Yeah a few modern foreign films are great and would love to see them on the list..but doubtful.

Speaking of which, The Kids Are Alright is one of the greatest theatrical rock films of all time.

I seen The Wall first run at the theater, I've always liked it because of the music. The Wall was on my long list for this countdown but got cut for the final 25.

I was born in the earlier part of the 60s and love 1950s films and when I watch TV I watch television programs from the 1950s!

I seen The Wall first run at the theater, I've always liked it because of the music. The Wall was on my long list for this countdown but got cut for the final 25.

I was born in the earlier part of the 60s and love 1950s films and when I watch TV I watch television programs from the 1950s!
I'm weird when it comes to my decades of movie watching.. I don't care for many films from the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s unless it's late 60's early 70s horror.. and dont like cheesy 80s horror.. Its ghastly and I have to turn it off...

I do like exploitation films from the late 60 and 70s.. .but most are foreign.

As for Tommy, it has its moments, but it can also be really irritating.

Being irritating probably was a part of Ken Russell's brilliance though. So what can you do?

Listzomania gets the inspired/irritating ratio much better.

"The Wall" is probably on my Top 5-10 albums of all-time, and "Dark Side of the Moon" is my very favorite, and I HIGHLY recommend checking out "Classic Albums" which really go into the making of, the themes, the music, isolated tracks, live stuff, conversations with all the band members - it's an amazing series by Castle Rock

There's also "L.A. Woman", "Plastic Ono Band", "Who's Next?", etc.

Almost 33 years to the day this happened:

The Supreme Court today rejected an appeal by a Kentucky public high school teacher fired for showing her class ″Pink Floyd - The Wall,″ an R-rated movie about a troubled rock star.

https://apnews.com/article/17e81b627...259e308fea5182

As for Tommy, it has its moments, but it can also be really irritating.

Being irritating probably was a part of Ken Russell's brilliance though. So what can you do?

Listzomania gets the inspired/irritating ratio much better.
Have you seen Women in Love, The Music Lovers, The Devils, The Boy Friend or Mahler? Those are his best five films in my opinion. They clearly demonstrate Russell's brilliance, but they were made before films like Tommy and Lisztomania, where he probably took it a bit too far at times (although I like those two films as well for what they are). I know it's weird to say this about a film like The Devils, but in a sense those five are a bit more moderate. They find a better balance between the extravaganza Russell is known for and sincerity.

While we're still on the subject, remember to stay the hell away from "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The Wiz". If it's any musical from 1978, for that matter.
Yellow Submarine... ugh... love the music... really disliked the film.

Have you seen Women in Love, The Music Lovers, The Devils, The Boy Friend or Mahler? Those are his best five films in my opinion. They clearly demonstrate Russell's brilliance, but they were made before films like Tommy and Lisztomania, where he probably took it a bit too far at times (although I like those two films as well for what they are). I know it's weird to say this about a film like The Devils, but in a sense those five are a bit more moderate. They find a better balance between the extravaganza Russell is known for and sincerity.
I've seen the first three, all of which I like and love to varying degrees. I'm not familiar with the other two, but I'm more than willing to be a Russell completist.

I like when he takes it too far. It's what attracts me to his films. He's the kind of guy who has the good taste not to have any. But it doesn't mean I will follow him on every tangent he makes, and Tommy just bent 'goofy' a little too often for me. I also find Roger Daltry to be extremely irritating, and while he's also in Listzomania, he's considerably less irritating in that one.

Ultimately, I still like Tommy though.

While we're still on the subject, remember to stay the hell away from "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The Wiz". If it's any musical from 1978, for that matter.
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (the movie) has some great covers of Beatles songs. It's mostly a goofy, farcical type movie. Reminds me of something they would've made in the late 60s.

Are there other films announced (after Brazil and Suspiria)?