Martyrofevil's top 100

→ in
Tools    

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
20. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I believe 2001 is the most innovative film ever made...the set design, the atmosphere, the use of music, the special effects are all still level with todays standards in every way and it is a truly timeless classic.

19. Kill Bill - Very fun at times, very beautiful at times. Like usual Tarantino delivers a great ball of style and dialogue with a hint of actiony fun.

18. Survive Style 5+ - This movie has been defined as Pulp Fiction on crack...and that would be quite accurate. The movie has 5 interconnecting stories. 1. A man who kills his wife, but she won't stay dead. 2. A woman who makes commercials who is way to full of her self. 3. A family who's dad has been hypnotized into thinking he's a bird. 4. A group of 3 thieves and their misadventures. 5. A British hit-man who is working in Tokyo. All of the stories are tied together perfectly and the movie is extremely funny. The bright and vibrant colours also add another dimension to this film.

17. Happiness of the Katakuris - The best musical ever which has zombies, claymation, and death...it's also an extremely up-beat film.

16. Waking Life - A very interesting movie about life and the universe expressed through unique animation and countless conversations which take place is countless different dreams.

15. Oldboy - Oldboy is crazy movie about a man who is kidnapped and locked up in some kind of a private prison for 15 years who then needs to seek his vengeance. This is the second film in Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy. One thing I'd like to note is that this movie has THE best fight scene in all of movie history and that is not even arguable. Choi Min-sik's acting also makes this movie shine.

14. 4.6 Billion Years of Love - This a very bizarre film because after maybe 8 watches, I still can't figure out all the symbolism in this movie. The scenery is absolutely phenomenal. Warning! Homophobes will be extremely put off by this film. To me, this movie is an hour and a half of anti-christian symbolism but, as far as I know I'm the only one who found that.

13. Requiem for a Dream - I'd say that this is the "anti-trainspotting". This movie has a lot of avant-garde camera effects and angles which really gives this movie it's personality.

12. Donnie Darko - By now you probably know of my liking for time travel so, Donnie Darko is obviously a film for me. I don't know what to say about this one actually other than it's a good "make you think" movie.

11. Visitor Q - I'd say that Visitor Q is probably the most disturbing movie I've seen. Probably because of the extremely graphic necrophilia and female nudity is actually really gross in this movie...It's also really funny. Definitely the best of the "home-video" movies.

I think your list is now my favourite of all the Top 100s posted

Got 4.6 Billion Years of Love but not watched it yet, along with Crow's Zero. Glad to see love for Miike. Hope to see The Bird People in China soon......

I didn't even know Crows Zero was out yet! Supposedly Bird People in China is his best movie. I still need to see it too.

I didn't even know Crows Zero was out yet! Supposedly Bird People in China is his best movie. I still need to see it too.
Did you look at my post on him? It's the BIG unsubtle link in my sig.

I'd rate it as his best, it's beautifully shot with some breathtaking scenery and nice cultural interplay, though it's quite far removed from his standard extremes. And Crow's Zero isn't released

PM me if you want a link.

10. Jackie Brown - The epitome of cool, with one of the best soundtracks ever (there's only one that's better).

9. Tekkon Kinkreet - Another great anime film. The animation style is so vastly different from other anime films. Apparently this movie doesn't get a lot of recognition but, I absolutely loved it.

8. Strange Circus - A bizarre sexual tale about a crippled erotic-novel author. The scenery in this one is extremely mind blowing. This is a very shocking film that I personally love.

7. Mind Game - Have I said any other movie was mind blowing? This one takes that to a whole new level. Mind Game is the first movie to use various different animation styles to tell the same story. The animation is truly breath-taking.

6. A Clockwork Orange - Very colourful and brutal film. I believe A Clockwork Orange is "Shakespeare done well". The poetic dialogue is just entrancing.

5. The Shining - More Kubrick. The Shining does one thing absolutely better than any movie in the world and that's create atmosphere. The music, the scenery, the characters all add to the atmosphere perfectly and makes The Shining like no other movie out there.

4. I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - This is the only romantic comedy I've seen that has been good. Also, did I mention that I like insane asylums in movies? I'm a Cyborg has some of the funniest characters ever. That, plus the imaginative plot and scenery really make this one special.

3. Audition - The only movie that has ever scared me! Audition is different than other horror movies because the whole film builds up to the last fifteen minutes or so. Truly the only effective horror movie in my opinion. Acting is something to point out as well. Ryo Ishibashi really stood out and made me think "holy ****, I'm convinced.". This one is definitely not for the faint of heart.

2. Pulp Fiction - Do I really need to write anything about Pulp Fiction? Everyone knows why it's good.

1. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - The final film in Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy. The music in this one really stood out for me, it is definitely my favourite soundtrack ever. Acting, story, characters, plot development, all perfectly executed. This is without a doubt Park Chan-wook's masterpiece.

REMEMBER! The top movie is still to come!

57. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Everything about this movie is excellent, and most remarkable yet...at 3 hours it is still very entertaining and doesn't slow for a minute.
Now we're talking.
Great film.
Never gets boring for some reason.

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I believe 2001 is the most innovative film ever made...the set design, the atmosphere, the use of music, the special effects are all still level with todays standards in every way and it is a truly timeless classic.
Great movie.
Has a calming feel too it.
The ending is over my head.
What I find most interesting is what they thought the year 2001 would be like when they made the movie.

Wow there are a lot I haven't seen must put them on my bigpond movie list Thanks

#0 . Noriko's Dinner Table - This is one you may not know of, but you should. Noriko's Dinner Table is the prequel/sequel to Suicide Club. It takes place from 6 months before the events of Suicide Club to about 2 years after. But! Do not watch this expecting Suicide Club 2. It is a vastly different film that isn't remotely horror. Noriko's Dinner Table is a coming of age tale about a 17-year-old girl who lives in a small town and drastically needs change in her life. She finds a website where she can talk to other girls her age about school and life. Eventually she decides to run away to Tokyo to meet up with some of her new friends. From there, it gets interesting. But, no spoilers here so that's all I'm going to say. At 2 hours and 40 minutes, Noriko's Dinner Table flies by. A connection is established with the characters almost instantly and the characters are so good that, I could literally watch this movie in one sitting if it were 8 hours. The acting is quite astonishing as at times the actors are acting like their character who is acting as their new personality who is also acting out a role as someone else. The phenomenal part is that you can actually see all the layers in the character at once and they are acted out to perfection. The music is really good as it was in Suicide Club. Whenever I watch this movie I always wish that it wouldn't end. I'd say watch this if you did see Suicide Club and can handle a slow drama as it does clarify a few things about Suicide Club but, it also raises a few new questions.

Now I guess we wait for Sion Sono to make the next Suicide Club movie which, will explain the skin roll seen in SC.

THAT'S MY LIST!

Also, Funky Forest: The First Contact would be on there somewhere...Probably 70's range...I forgot about it.

Holy crap, I don't think I've been here since I made this list back in 2008. I'm reading this thinking "What a douchebag I was" . All I can say is that things have definitely changed but a few of these films I still cherish.

Hey, new list time! Just a top 30 now because I'm super picky these days. This is actually just every movie I'd currently give at least 9/10 to.

HERE GOES.

#30. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Directed by: Lars von Trier

Dancer in the Dark is certainly not a technical masterpiece but it's a very beautiful story and I definitely cried like a bitch. Bjork happens to be my favourite musical artist so of course I love this movie. The songs are gorgeous and I like the transitions from reality to the dreamy musical numbers.

#29. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (2010)
Directed by: Yasuhiro Takemoto & Tatsuya Ishihara

A continuation of the popular anime series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, "Disappearance" is nearly as long as a full 13 episode season but is still incredibly watchable. It's definitely far superior to the show (and I love the show) and what it greatly benefits from is having one concise story instead of a bunch of different arcs. The animation is also much improved. If anime is not your thing, stay away because an entire 26 episode series is required before watching this.

#28. Vital (2004)
Directed by: Shinya Tsukamoto

Back when I was first getting into J-Horror this movie seemed to have a lot of buzz in that community. When I first saw this oh so many years ago I hated it. I thought it was boring and easily Tsukamoto's worst film. I watched it again pretty recently actually during a Tsukamoto marathon and instantly fell in love. The subtle tones and atmosphere were totally lost on my younger self, but now I love these calm, atmospheric dramas. It's a very beautiful film about overcoming the loss of a loved one that's presented in a way that isn't sappy or hackneyed and has it's own interesting plot that sets it apart from other films.

#27 Fantastic Planet (1973)
Directed by: Rene Laloux

I first saw Fantastic Planet at a bar my friend's band was playing at and without sound this movie looks completely retarded. The Gilliam-esque animation and strange designs are ridiculous when taken out of context. Years later I actually got around to watching it and I was blown away by how interesting the story was and how justified the art and animation styles are. Highly recommended for prog-rock fans because the soundtrack is absolutely perfect. No plot description could really do the film justice so I'll just leave it at that.

Holy crap, I don't think I've been here since I made this list back in 2008. I'm reading this thinking "What a douchebag I was" . All I can say is that things have definitely changed but a few of these films I still cherish.
That means you're just appreciating films more! It's fun to see how our tastes change and evolve over time. Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em comin'.