300 (2007)

→ in
Tools    

300 was the single worst movie of 2007. It is also the single
most vulgar and trashy movie of the present decade. 300 is also the single most historically inaccurate movie in quite some time. 300 is a movie to avoid unless you really like seeing awful movies.

300 is based on a "graphic novel" aka pretentious and over priced comic book that was done by Frank Miller. Miller is an old hack in comic
books who has managed to screw up practically every project that he has
ever handled. During the 1980's, he did a graphic novel of Batman
calling him "The Dark Knight." Miller's Batman more resembled the kind
of person that Adolf Hitler would have had in the Gestapo than the
classic comic book character. Miller was also responsible for a series
of Daredevil stories that basically trashed one of the more venerable
comic book super heroes. Needless to say, whenever Frank Miller is
involved in a comic book project, the results are certain to be
disappointing to all those who appreciate great comic books.

Such was the case with the original 1999 hardcover comic book aka
graphic novel version of 300 . Not only was it poorly drawn and colored, it was extremely vulgar in a homosexual way. Real life Spartan soldiers wore full armor as opposed to running around half naked like they did in Miller's creation. If the Spartans really went about warfare with as little clothing and armor on, as Miller would have you believe, then they would have been slaughtered like cattle. Instead of being
synonymous with bravery, the word Spartan would instead be synonymous with stupidity.

300 is equally abysmal in its presentation of the Persian enemy. The Persian Empire was the largest country of all antiquity. Slavery was abolished under Cyrus the Great several decades before Persia attempted
to conquer Greece. Meanwhile, for all the talk of "freedom" in 300 , in Greece it was perfectly lawful to own people in bondage. Also, Persian warriors were not the freaks depicted in the movie, nor did their "King of Kings" Xerxes go around with numerous body piercings like some grotesque freak.

The movie version of 300 was made in much the same way that movies such as "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" and "Sin City" were made. The flick was filmed at indoor movie studios and in front of green screens. Once the acting was finished, the special effects technicians took over and they inserted the film footage of the actors into a digitally created world. The end result looks just like a Computer
Graphics Interface (CGI) movie. In other words, it looks more like a
glorified cartoon than a real movie with real actors.

Another problem is that 300 seems like it was planned to have a video game spin off. The battles depicted in this movie are the kind of battles that fit right in on a video game format. The elephants, rhinoceroses and the chained giant look more like video game characters than movie characters. The members of the Persian Army all look like clones of one another.

When you consider that one of the characters is a deformed hunchback
ogre who has arms that look like lobster claws, it is impossible to take
this grotesque flick as being anything better than a piece of garbage. 300 is truly an ugly movie and is about as involving as watching a video game demo. 300 is a movie to avoid like the plague.

You're not really giving reasons for your opinions. This appears to just be one complaint--a lack of historical accuracy, even though the movie clearly isn't meant to be an accurate retelling--followed by a series of largely unexplained put downs. There's no real analysis of the story, dialogue, choreography, or how the film is shot.

Welcome to the human race...
Starting a thread just to call a popular movie the worst of the year/decade/whatever? Such an IMDb move.

You won't get much argument from me, though. 300 is...not good. Still bettter than Rise of an Empire, though.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I really liked this movie, and I met the wife of one of the film makers and even though I had problems with her on a non film related board, told her how much I enjoyed this. If you didn't like it, that's cool, but I thought it was great fun.

Jeez. Tell us what you really think about 300.
Killer abs. Even David Wenham had them. I might have swooned a few times.

I meant to be sarcastic towards the whiner who started this thread, Dani8. Your opinion is far better articulated.
LOL. It's OK, Dex. I cuddle this thread. Really gave me some entertainment.

Boldly going.
I disagree, Crector.

Yoda is correct that this isn't meant to be a historical portrayal - it's the depiction of the legend of the 300. This is why the movie is framed within narration of Dilios (played by David Wenham), who is telling the tale of the 300 at a campfire (and is no doubt embellishing the story in order to rally his fellow countrymen into battle). It's a morality tale, with the message being that 300 stood up against a much larger force, and would have probably succeeded, had it not been for the tragic flaw of Leonidas. Let's face it, ancient history is often married with myth and legend, and any history, especially this old, is inaccurate to say the least.

Are the shirtless Spartans "homoerotic"? In the eye of the beholder: if you're a woman or gay and find that erotic. To the rest of us, 300 is no more gay than guys on the beach or a boxing match. The comic book I haven't read, so I can't speak to that. The shirtless Spartans are no more homoerotic than than Hulk (2008), Die hard (1988), Rambo 2 (1985), Spartacus (1960) and Tarzan the ape man (1932).

The lack of chest armor is meant to signify bravery indeed, not stupidity. They weren't defenseless - they had large bronze shields, spears and swords, bracers, shin guards and helmets. The Zulus didn't have much more than that in the Battle of Isandlwana of 1879 and they defeated the British.

As far as the abs go, well, weren't the Spartans legendary for their physical fitness, their grueling lifestyle?

I googled Miller's artwork from 300, and the art is excellent and stylistic: good use of light and dark, colours, shapes. It's dramatic and bold...

The film's use of CGI is meant to mirror the graphic novel. Many of the shots are directly based on the graphic novel and it would have been near impossible or too expensive to have re-created it with conventional film techniques.

Granted, at times it looks like a videogame, but this art form, like all art forms, is evolving and getting better/more realistic every year and it largely depends on the talent of those crafting it.

My biggest problem with the movie was that at no point could I count more than 297 Spartans in any one frame.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I always thought it was a bad movie with spectacular fight scenes.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
300 is awesome

300 is cool

300 is one of the best movies of 2007

300 has awesome action

300 looks amazing

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I think 300 is one of those movies that never wanted you to take it so serious and consider it Oscar worthy or even a masterpiece, 300 was a movie to go enjoy because it's fun and entertaining and to take a break on movies that make you think or that are artistic. It's a reason to just have a hell of a fun time and even pump you up! Jeez i remember after watching it i felt like going to a bar with my friends and starting a random fight lol

Yea that's true

It's been a while since I've watched 300, but I remember liking it for what it was. It was before Snyder wanted to actually entertain you rather than bore you. Obviously, I can't criticize any movie that has Butler without a shirt for close to two hours, that's a winner in my book.

i own the digibook, but i'm not really a fan of it, but i enjoy its visuals.