What are some great Drama movies centered around kids

Tools    

I don't know why, but some foreign movies were the first ones that came to mind when I saw this thread. Well, actually The Goonies was the first one, but that's already been mentiond, so...

Small Change (France)

Cinema Paradiso (Italy)

My Life as a Dog (Sweden)

Gregory's Girl (Scotland)

Has anyone seen Mississippi Damned? It's an indie flick on the festival circuit right now. AMAZING performances from kids. A serious drama that looks at the lack options kids have when they have grown up in poverty. Hopefully you'll get to see it in theaters or on DVD soon. It is a must see.

adulthood
kidulthood
bullet boy

Every man dies,but not every man really lives
first of all i would like to thx you all for you giving me your time and posting these recommendations for me.
i would like to add some new movies to my earlier list that may help you to narrow down your recommendations.
Have Dreams, Will Travel
Little Manhattan
Sleepwalking
i know these movies are hard to find but im in to this kind of stuff right now because ive gotten bored with all the GI Joe, Paranormal Activity crap and want somting new, and this it for me mainly because of my girlfriend, anyway these movies dont have to be fit for all ages and don't necessarily have to be all about kids. man on fire and leon weren't all about kids but they did it for me anyway i hope this help and pleas Drama/Romance with 11 to 15 year old and don't start getting any funny ideas im 16 so that satels that if you know what i mean.

I know you said you didn't want any old 80's films, but try this.

My sister rented it back in the 80's and, to this day, it's one of the only films she's chosen that I actually liked.

I love "The Shoe"!!! It's the only thing that came to mind, but concept of friendship and bonding to find the cure for AIDS for his friend was definitely the core of the movie and it made me cry buckets...

The Chorus
AI
Life is Beautiful
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Again another 80's suggestion, but I love the Journey of Natty Gan! Disney drama from '85. But then I'm a sucker for just about anything with John Cusack in it.

JVT
I would have to say that my favourite drama revolving around children (it is actually one of my favourite dramas of all time) would have to be 'The Return' (Vozvrashcheniye) (2003).
I'm normally not very keen on subtitled films but this one blew my mind, the kids were exceptional actors and the story moved you without leaving you behind.

Put me in your pocket...
I don't know why, but some foreign movies were the first ones that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Small Change (France)
I've never heard of Small Change. I'll have to look it up.
I loved reading what everyone has shared so far. Some great choices.

Here's a few more to add that I loved...

Ponette (1996)
Together (He ni zai yi qi )(2002)
The Way Home (Jibeuro) (2002)
The Red Balloon (1956)
The Secret of Roan Inish (1995)
The Chorus (Les choristes) (2004)

These are also really good, but I didn’t have time to look up the images.
A Little Princess (1939, 1995)
The Secret Garden (1949, 1993)
Heidi (1937, 2005)
The Water Horse - Legend of the Deep (2007)
Inkheart (2009)
Holes (2003)

[/img]

The Secret of Roan Inish reminded me of:

Into the West

Together reminded me of:

The King of Masks
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.